Pens Similar To The Kaigelu 316?

FPN_941563428

Hello everyone! As I've acquired more and more fountain pens, the design of the Duragraph and Kaigelu has completely changed my taste in pens! With a collection of mostly demonstrators, I'd like to add more pens to my collection with unique and vibrant acrylic patterns.

The shape and similar design of the two pens is what I prefer and I'm only looking for pens that are under 30 U.S. (My duragraph, while not a chinese pen, was little over 30, and the kaigelu ran me for 17.) If anyone happens to know of any similar pens, feel happy to help me on my journey and link them below with some pictures if you would like!

Here are some pictures of the modifications to the two pens I love most!

25aLNRx.jpg

s7H24uM.jpgK3ZkKt1.jpg72IWFia.jpgOTCwXDJ.jpg

Edited by FPN_941563428

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPN_941563428

• richardandtracy

• WJM

• Titomake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not the biggest fan of the flashy threads on the pen or the rather uninspired clip design, but I did manage to find this listing on ebay and taobao for 20 dollars. Similar design with some more acrylics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crocodile-Blue-Marble-Celluloid-Fountain-Pen-22KGP-Medium-Nib-Alligator-Clip/172583049017?epid=937192995&hash=item282ec05739:g:IIwAAOSwax5Yznts

Edited by FPN_941563428

Except for the more recent offering from PenBBS; acrylic had not been favored by Chinese pen Mfr(s) and certainly no less from customers also. The old school bias in the home market is fairly strong and they consider good solid construction meaning Solid Brass, Steel, and Aluminum in that order and Aluminumn is viewed as metal equivalent to good old thermoplastic ( usually molded ). Acrylic , Resin and even Celluloid are consider just expensive plastic materials but not quite as robust as those good old metal ( and with some just reasoning I would add ).

Most of the post 90's gift market brand like Duke, Picasso, Fuliwan, Camel, Crocodile etc etc all have sometime on their catalog one or two Acrylic pens but as far as I know most are not styled like the Kaigelu 316 which is clearly pattered against old school flat top ( or some would say Parket modern Duofold ), but you would probably find plenty that's similarly styled thats fashioned in metal ( Brass mostly )

Well, there was the Huashilai A053, but as they have disappeared, it doesn't help much. And they weren't very good either.

I agree with both your assessments on the K316 & Conklin.

I think the basic, unmodified Crocodile 816 is better than the K316. The plating is thin, but the dark blue is amazing. I have a light grey and a dark grey one too, and they all look amazing. If the K316 finial is replaced with resin, it is better than the Crocodile. Failing that, a Parker Duofold Centennial Classic is a fair contender, but expensive.

Regards

Richard.

Here are some pictures of the modifications to the two pens I love most!

I'm surprised that Jinhao #6 nib actually fits Kaigelu 316... and I'm curious why would you do that? And on Conklin the same? I mean Jinhao nibs are pretty good, especially for their price, but really?

Edited by WJM

I'm surprised that Jinhao #6 nib actually fits Kaigelu 316... and I'm curious why would you do that? And on Conklin the same? I mean Jinhao nibs are pretty good, especially for their price, but really?

For the Conklin, The stock medium nib was dreadful, albeit more fitting for the design of the pen. I managed to put on a Jinhao nib with both pens with surprisingly no effort.

The main reason I decided to completely swap those nibs was because I couldnt achieve the grind I wanted with the tipping they had on the nib. If you can see the picture, Ive done a bit of an architect grind and smoothed it out, its actually one of my best writing pens and I use it all the time!

As for why I put it on the Kaigelu, I honestly dont know haha. It was probably a bit of laziness and I had a broad ground Jinhao nib already done.Ill probably have a go at smoothing the original nib.

Edited by FPN_941563428

Well, there was the Huashilai A053, but as they have disappeared, it doesn't help much. And they weren't very good either.

I agree with both your assessments on the K316 & Conklin.

I think the basic, unmodified Crocodile 816 is better than the K316. The plating is thin, but the dark blue is amazing. I have a light grey and a dark grey one too, and they all look amazing. If the K316 finial is replaced with resin, it is better than the Crocodile. Failing that, a Parker Duofold Centennial Classic is a fair contender, but expensive.

Regards

Richard.

Couldn’t agree more with everything you said. I actually really love that blue finish that’s not too overwhelming from what I can tell.

Have a Hero 7022 of the non 'Ice Flower' type with a triangular grip on the section, and it is a heavy, lacquered, brass pen with a finish that rapidly bubbles under the effects of my acid skin. I'll not be buying a second. By the standards of a Jinhao or Kaigelu, the H7022 nib I got is not good. On the fine side of Medium, rough and dry.

I don't know what the earlier Ice Flower version was like with its circular section, but it is different.

Regards

Richard.

I'm not at all surprised.

There are two dominant nib sizes: #5 (5mm) and #6 (6mm). Many manufacturers use these standard sizes.

Especially the low-budget (not necessarily low-quality!) manufacturers prefer standard parts that can be used in many pens.

So it is quite natural that those nibs can be swapped among those pens.

I like to exchange the original standard nibs in my Jinhaos with German (Bock) stub nibs.

The Jinhao nibs aren't that bad, but they are always very thin ones and I prefer stubs.

For the Conklin, The stock medium nib was dreadful, albeit more fitting for the design of the pen. I managed to put on a Jinhao nib with both pens with surprisingly no effort.

I guess I wouldn't expect a stock nib in a pen for ca. $50 would be worse than a nib you can buy 5 pieces for $4...

There are two dominant nib sizes: #5 (5mm) and #6 (6mm). Many manufacturers use these standard sizes.

Especially the low-budget (not necessarily low-quality!) manufacturers prefer standard parts that can be used in many pens.

So it is quite natural that those nibs can be swapped among those pens.

Yes, the thing is - Kaigelu 316 stock nib, as far as I know, is none of those. It's a bit smaller than #6 and bigger than #5

Edited by WJM

I guess I wouldn't expect a stock nib in a pen for ca. $50 would be worse than a nib you can buy 5 pieces for $4...

Yes, the thing is - Kaigelu 316 stock nib, as far as I know, is none of those. It's a bit smaller than #6 and bigger than #5

Ive smoothed out my Conklin nib at this point, but I cant get the grind I want with it. When I purchased it, I didnt have enough experience and I didnt want to ruin it, so I stuck with some Jinhao nibs.

From what I can tell on the Kaigelu, its in between, but you can fit a no. 6 nib.

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted a number 6 extra fine nib to my 316 last year with very little trouble. I'm not a real fan of the medium nib supplied with the 316, writes well just too wide for me, but with the extra fine I really enjoy using this pen.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures