• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Tefolim

• Mech-for-i

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Just a few words for those of you experiencing leaks. The pen I commented upon earlier had only been flushed with water after test dipping it. I decided to apply silicone grease to the threads holding the hood in place. The hood was only finger tight and came off easily. I applied a little grease to the threads and also to the black O-Ring, then re-assembled and filled the pen. I have now been using it for about a week with no signs of leaking.

Meanwhile, I received a second pen and decided to do the same........however, this time the hood was attached very firmly and could not be removed just using my hands. I changed my mind and decided to see if this was an indicator of better sealing, and so, after test dipping it, I left the first water flush in it (about 12 presses of the button to get a good amount in). That was about 2 days ago, and so far, so good - no leaking.

So it does appear that at least the last batch (I ordered both pens in January) can be made functional with minimum effort.

So mine is evidently from the second batch and I carried it around for 2 days full of water with no leaks. It was very hard to remove the hood, and it does show evidence of being greased with silicone. Could be that is why mine also doesn't leak. I have a few pictures here, and a comparison with a Wing Sung 613 (Same pen this with a C/C, lighter blue-green). The plastic of the 613 feels less dense than that of the 601. The finish on the cap of the 601 is a little nicer too. Last I have a picture of my clone collection - WS 601, WS 613, Moonman 80, Jinhao 911.

40052084122_d0bd2a63c1_b.jpg

40052083662_4bb7d414f1_b.jpg

40052083022_e7ca3127ef_b.jpg

26210855278_5b1ed420b0_b.jpg

Edited by DasKaltblut

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

Waski,

.... but the thought of a user-serviceable Vacumatic - unlike the Parker original - is most appealing.

Unlike a Vac, you can remove the filler without a special tool.

But...the problem is, where and how to get replacement diaphrams.

No diaphrams = no ability to replace a bad/aged diaphram = a disposable pen.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Some features of the 601 Vacumatic implementation:

Pros:

• The blind cap interface to barrel is independent of the filler. So the blind cap will always be aligned after repair, even after sloppy repair.
  • Pellet cup appears threaded to shaft, making its removal easy and easy pushing out of old pellet. Now if the shaft tends to corrode, this can become exactly opposite, so wait and watch.

Cons:

• Black plastic diaphragm seat. Will get deformed with successive replacements of diaphragm and cleaning of old rubber residue. Longevity of material remains to be seen.
  • Pellet seems to be an independent component to be inserted after diaphragm is inserted in pellet cup. Pellet is exposed to ink.
  • Supply chain of spare diaphragms.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Been following this topic. Says there should be some new colors and updates to this model after the Chinese New Year, which just passed. Does anyone know what updates there are? Colors, QA? And the best place to look? Thanks!

To Chinese, the Chinese new year traditionally do not go until after the 15th day of the month .. and some locale might even go on for the whole ( lunar ) calendar month

Been following this topic. Says there should be some new colors and updates to this model after the Chinese New Year, which just passed. Does anyone know what updates there are? Colors, QA? And the best place to look? Thanks!

Most Ebay sellers who are away for Chinese New Year have messages saying they won't be back until the 22nd or 23rd or even the 25th. So it will be a bit yet.

Edited by DasKaltblut

The original seller that this thread recommended is back. But there's been no refresh to the line. Recommend waiting a few more days to see if new colors/quality updates get posted or you think this is going to be as good as it gets?

I say give it another 2 weeks or so, after all, even if the seller are back, the new one on the schedule it will still take some time before it get to the global retail channel. Needless to say Chinese new Year its still in reign and normality to the business ( in China ) are not expected until Mar

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they are back. Now seeing some marked as “2018 Wing Sung 601’s.” Near as I can tell, the only new colors are demonstrator models (which I have to admit, look really interesting, and are surprisingly even lower cost — although it is hard to see the nib as hooded in the demonstrator pics). I’m hoping these new 2018 models have that improved QC they were talking about.

I just received a Hero 601 today and it is quite something!

I have something like 9 Parker "51"s, all of them vacumatic filling models, and while the Hero is not exactly like the Parker in terms of nib and construction quality, it is close enough to be worth the $17 I paid for it!

Edited by Tadeusz

Looks like they are back. Now seeing some marked as “2018 Wing Sung 601’s.” Near as I can tell, the only new colors are demonstrator models (which I have to admit, look really interesting, and are surprisingly even lower cost — although it is hard to see the nib as hooded in the demonstrator pics). I’m hoping these new 2018 models have that improved QC they were talking about.

So far, I have not managed to find a demonstrator model actually available. I have seen a few listings with 5 options (4 colors and a demonstrator) in the photo, but demonstrator is not given in the drop down menu options. Until the last day or two, the drop down menu only offered 4 colors, but now some listings a lower cost option of "Transparent silver clip-purple". Note that this is NOT the model 601, but rather a much lower cost piston filler with a conventional nib (like a TWSBI). This is NOT the transparent, hooded nib, Vacumatic shown in the photo of 5 options.

I would really love to get a Vacumatic demonstrator - if anyone has seen such a listing, can you post a link?

Ooh. I did not realize the demonstrators were not 601s!!

Thank you so much for pointing that out. I almost made a mistake I would be very unhappy with.

• 2 weeks later...

Very retro-looking, I like it. Nice shape (thanks Parker), and nice weight and balance, good job Wing Sung.

The vacumatic pump draws ink... until it won't draw up ink anymore. I haven't got a full fill yet, still working on this. What's better folks? Pushing the pump button quickly or slowly?

The ink window is tall enough to be functional, I like it very much.

The nib is very meh, the Wing Sung 618 is more pleasant to write with, although it's so wet that it's not an extra fine anymore. The 601 is wet enough for a proper extra-fine, but it drags onto the paper unpleasantly. Pilot wing design F is still my favourite.

fpn_1521189486__wing_sung_601_beige_01.j

fpn_1521189541__wing_sung_601_beige_fine

fpn_1521189600__wing_sung_601_beige_nib.

fpn_1521189711__wing_sung_601_beige_scri

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Unfortunately, I have bad news. The first pen I received (late last year) was filled almost immediately - it was great seeing the ink fill up the transparent breather tube. I gave 12 pushes with a few second pause between each one - it was pretty much full and worked flawlessly, always ready to write the instant pen was put to paper, even when there were several days between usage. When it finally ran out about a week ago, I decided to switch to another color 601 and went to flush the first one out. It sucked up water on the first push or two, but then stopped taking up water at all. I assumed an air leak had somehow crept in around the "sac" and tried tried to disassemble the mechanism to have a look (I am used to repairing Parker Vacumatics), but could not get the black plastic nut to turn - it starting deforming, at which point I gave up. Even judicious application of heat didn't help. I have not given up on the model and did order a replacement in the same color, but wondered if anyone else has had trouble with dis-assembly?

Edited by Osmaroid

You guys are really starting to scare me with these horror stories.

I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and am patiently waiting it’s arrival. Now I keep hearing how there are still QA issues and I’m thinking maybe I still did not wait long enough.

I've had mine for about a week. So far it's working perfectly. I just had to do a bit of work on the nib with the micro mesh pads to make it slightly less fine, and a bit more forgiving of writing angle.

I'm here to report that the issue about finding ink all over the section? Hasn't happened to me yet.

I also haven't had leaks from the threading that connects the feed and the hood. Upon unscrewing the hood, I found a glue-like substance, removed it, and added silicone grease of my own. Kudos to Wing Sung for that.

For cleaning, I removed the hood, removed the section+breather tube, and poured water directly into the barrel until the water came out clear. The first time, of course, I tried pumping water with the vacumatic pump, but inky water remained trapped in the barrel where the breather tube couldn't reach. I'm not a 'squeaky clean' cleaner, but the quanity of the colored water was too much for me to comfortably pump it into a bottle of ink, different color or otherwise.

I guess this is a normal perk of using vacumatic fountain pens. Due to this, I find myself preferring the piston method.

Oh, and i forgot to specify that my 601 is from what I call "the Chinese New Year batch." Just FYI.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Oh, well, guess what I've finally pulled the trigger and order one, figure plenty of good experience in recent box opening a good sign anyway. Due in a few days I will report on it then