Wingsung 601 Vacumatic Filler

Tefolim

I did not remove the nib - I used precision, smooth surface, tiny pointed nose pliers very carefully. One note, if you are used to aligning gold nibs, steel nibs such as those on the 601 need a gentler hand as in my experience steel nibs are not as springy as gold.

Ooh too scary for me. I always have just used my thumb, yet these nibs are too tiny and curved. Thanks for the warning about the steel nibs.

Thankfully spare WingSung nibs are really cheap.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Tefolim

• Mech-for-i

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Not as scary as it sounds - once you have practiced on a few "throw-away" pens! However, if you are comfortable using your fingers, just remove the nib and do that, then replace it. You certainly won't do any irrecoverable damage as you would have thrown the nib away anyway if you used a replacement.

I would like to remove the nibs on these to realign them with the ink channels in the collector, but I haven't removed one yet, they are really stuck in there.

I would like to remove the nibs on these to realign them with the ink channels in the collector, but I haven't removed one yet, they are really stuck in there.

I had to wrap a piece of rubber gripping material around the exposed part of the nib and give one firm tug to get the nib out.

Not as scary as it sounds - once you have practiced on a few "throw-away" pens! However, if you are comfortable using your fingers, just remove the nib and do that, then replace it. You certainly won't do any irrecoverable damage as you would have thrown the nib away anyway if you used a replacement.

Thanks for all the tips! It just took about five minutes with my thumbnail and a loupe to get the original EF nib aligned and it writes great. I adjusted it after removing it from the pen so I could get a better grip and see what I was doing. You were right about how easy it is to move the tines, the material is quite malleable and I slightly overdid it the first couple tries. Now it's about as smooth as you can get for such a fine nib and flow is excellent. With the somewhat dry Herbin Poussiere de Lune it writes what I'd consider to be a Japanese F, just a tad thinner than a Western EF. With this nib the pen is destined to a life of writing margin notes in books.

Thanks for all the tips! It just took about five minutes with my thumbnail and a loupe to get the original EF nib aligned and it writes great. I adjusted it after removing it from the pen so I could get a better grip and see what I was doing. You were right about how easy it is to move the tines, the material is quite malleable and I slightly overdid it the first couple tries. Now it's about as smooth as you can get for such a fine nib and flow is excellent. With the somewhat dry Herbin Poussiere de Lune it writes what I'd consider to be a Japanese F, just a tad thinner than a Western EF. With this nib the pen is destined to a life of writing margin notes in books.

Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes, all that is needed is a very simple procedure.

Thankfully spare WingSung nibs are really cheap.

Where are you buying them? I'm also interested in giving the fude nibs a try.

Howard

Where are you buying them? I'm also interested in giving the fude nibs a try.

Howard

You can get three spare Wing Sung fude nibs for $6.98 on eBay.

I'm in China so I can get them for about 50 cents each.

I highly recommend both fude nib options. There is just a slight difference between them but neither is too broad for daily writing. The maximum line width is around 1mm. You may have to adjust the tines because they are often slightly misaligned on cheap Chinese nibs.

What's the length of these replacement nibs for 601?

According to Wing Sung they are 18.5mm from end to end. They are a little shorter than most Hero nibs of this type.

A note about the fude nibs: The slightly less bent one is called a "cursive" nib for Chinese calligraphy, meaning that it's for more connected writing and thus more suitable in my opinion for English letters. The nib with the greater bend is for more tradtional Chinese calligraphy and thus is a little more crisp and less suitable for daily writing. They are both lots of fun though.

This is the perfect pen for someone who only uses one ink, writes often enough to require a decent ink supply and fast refilling system (single-handed filling, nonetheless), and leaves the pen uncapped for extended periods while writing. This is definitely a workhorse pen for someone who does a lot of writing.

This is extremely true. I'd like to save your description to be included in a potential future pen review, if you permit! Though browsing this thread, I really cannot decide whether I should get the demonstrator, as I originally intended, or the red with the ink window...

Dominique

Edited by by_a_Lady

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

This is extremely true. I'd like to save your description to be included in a potential future pen review, if you permit! Though browsing this thread, I really cannot decide whether I should get the demonstrator, as I originally intended, or the red with the ink window...

Dominique

Absolutely, feel free to use anything that is helpful.

I know what you mean about the choices. I got the clear demonstrator first because I wanted to show my son how the piston works (he calls it my "sucker pen"), but the solid colored ones look so classy. I decided to hold out until I can hunt down one of the limited edition yellow models at a reasonable price. If that day never comes, then I'll just have to comfort myself by getting a dark green model with gold nib.

(Duplicate post)

Edited by TruthPil

Dominique

Get both, and get creative

http://piastrinemilitari.altervista.org/foto/halfdemows.jpg

Photo taken off reddit

Get both, and get creative

http://piastrinemilitari.altervista.org/foto/halfdemows.jpg

Photo taken off reddit

:yikes: I didn't realize the original P51 caps fit! In the photo is that the original two-tone P51 clutch ring and section as well?

Now to get some busted P51s for parts and have a modern vacumatic !

Edited by TruthPil

I admire you guys effort, I've been too lazy to go on anything ; my excuse got to be the heatwaves around here already running for 2 weeks, yesterday I read 38°C ( Celsius ) ... and its in a shaded area ... I think I am going to melt soon.

I am thinking I would replace the barrel of the lake blue original diaphragm version of the 601 with a demo to show off how it work ...

:yikes: I didn't realize the original P51 caps fit! In the photo is that the original two-tone P51 clutch ring and section as well?

Now to get some busted P51s for parts and have a modern vacumatic !

P51 complete hood and cap, rest is Wing Sung

P51 complete hood and cap, rest is Wing Sung

Interchangability with the p51 opens up a whole world of possibilities, although o don't see why one would want to swap the hood to someone that doesn't match. Now to get a two-tone clutch ring and swap one of my rolled gold caps...

Indeed. Compatibility with the P51s liberates us from the silly EF nib and gives an alterative to repairing the old 51 Vacs. Of course it is quasi-sacreligeous but this is another story :)

I think I read somewhere that the P51 nibs are bigger than those on the 601 and thus aren't interchangeable. Can anyone confirm?