The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mabie Todd Calligraphic, Possibly Oldest Production Fountain Pen C1880-1890

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:05

I was lucky enough to come across this pen. The coiled wire had been unwound, and has now been rewound/restored. The rest of the pen looks pristine. 

My information about the pen itself comes exclusively from "Mabie in America" 3rd ed by David Moak

Prior to acquiring this pen and researching further, I thought my first year Wirt pen was the oldest "production" fountain pen.  

The Calli-graphic dates to 1880, with additional later patents and modifications. My pen includes a patent date of 1882 as well. This patent appears to be added to the original thee line imprint which includes a patent from 1881.  According the the Moak book, there is an earlier version of the pen with an imprint that only lists patents from 1828 and 1879.

The Calli-graphic is an eyedropper with an interesting wire feed, as well as a long air channel at the back with a separate cover. The back cap makes it similar in design to early AT Cross and MacKinnon stylographic pens. The patent shows an "agitator" for the ink, but the Moak book states that this feature has not been seen in any example of the pen.  The pen pictured is similar to the patent picture, minus the agitator.

fpn_1514278172__mt_calli_18.jpg  fpn_1514278125__mt_calli_01.jpg  fpn_1514278132__mt_calli_03.jpg  fpn_1514278139__mt_calli_04.jpg  fpn_1514278156__mt_calli_11.jpgfpn_1514278147__mt_calli_10.jpgfpn_1514278165__mt_calli_15.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 20:43

Interesting nib, too. Any info about that odd little rim around the breather hole?

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• 1,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 22:01

It is a coiled wire metal over feed, and the wire then continues through the breather hole, all the way up through the feed, section, etc, and ends just inside the barrel. In the picture of the pen in pieces, you can get a tiny hint of wire protruding from the inside end of the feed/section apparatus.

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:29

A very cool, rare, and early pen, but not the earliest production fountain pen. I know at least Prince's Protean fountain pen goes back to the 1850's and was produced for quite a long while.  

http://www.fountainp...n-fountain-pen/

From 1856, a review of the new Protean Fountain Pen. http://www.fountainp..._pen_review.jpg

But this does not take away from the special nature of your find. Very cool!

Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#5 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• 1,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 23:46

Fantastic! I wonder if any of these have survived and if anyone could link to pictures of the actual pen. 1850s. Amazing.

Sponsored Content

|