Sailor Broad - Lamy 2000 Nib Size?

KellyMcJ

This may be an odd question. I am considering purchasing a Lamy 2k (yay Christmas money!) and I'm contemplating nib size. I'm completely in love with my Sailor B nib- totally my favorite nib, perfect line width for me.

I tried using Goulet's nib nook tool but it's hard to tell- I seem to have narrowed it down to either a fine, or a medium. Fully considering that there are differences between individual nibs within a brand- which Lamy 2k nib is closest to Sailor's B nib? Does anyone have both that they can compare?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Bluey

• Gasquolet

• Driften

I would say a medium. The medium is really quite broad on the Lamy 2000. Be aware that it will likely have babys bottom which means that you have to press down a fraction more for the nib to come into full contact with the paper, and this will result in a wider mark then if you dragged the pen across the page using only the weight of the pen.

The Lamy 2000 is much wider than a Sailor medium but not as wide as a zoom.

I would say a medium. The medium is really quite broad on the Lamy 2000. Be aware that it will likely have babys bottom which means that you have to press down a fraction more for the nib to come into full contact with the paper, and this will result in a wider mark then if you dragged the pen across the page using only the weight of the pen.

The Lamy 2000 is much wider than a Sailor medium but not as wide as a zoom.

I love my Zoom but it's really not practical for daily use (it's a bit broader than my Nemosine B, which is really not practical either.) It's a really fun nib for signing and addressing cards etc.

My Sailor B is somewhere between a F and M in western nibs, I think (I gave away my Jowo M nib so I don't have it to compare).

I found the zoom too broad for me. When I first bought it I imagined it was going to be really practical, switching between writing fine and broad, but in every day use it's really not practical at all unless you want to write mega broad by default, and then fine or medium only occasionally.

I think the Lamy 2000 M is likely to be your best bet as the closest to a Sailor B. Usually there isn't much if any difference between Western and Japanese on medium and above.

I found the zoom too broad for me. When I first bought it I imagined it was going to be really practical, switching between writing fine and broad, but in every day use it's really not practical at all unless you want to write mega broad by default, and then fine or medium only occasionally.

I think the Lamy 2000 M is likely to be your best bet as the closest to a Sailor B. Usually there isn't much if any difference between Western and Japanese on medium and above.

The Zoom is so much fun for writing cards etc!!!! I really adore the nib. It's just too broad for daily use. For big flamboyant writing though..... :wub:

The difference between Japanese and Western sure is confusing. In F and EF nibs it holds true it seems but in M and above, it seems to be a (bleep) shoot depending on brand.

Someone was able to show a writing comparison on the FPN fb page and the M is a near perfect match. I ordered one. Merry Christmas to meeeeeee!

Someone was able to show a writing comparison on the FPN fb page and the M is a near perfect match. I ordered one. Merry Christmas to meeeeeee!

As long as you didn’t buy it from Dymocks, it’ll be a great pen. Unfortunately, my experience wasn’t too good. (See Lamy 2000s are overrated)

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

As long as you didnt buy it from Dymocks, itll be a great pen. Unfortunately, my experience wasnt too good. (See Lamy 2000s are overrated)

I saw that.🤤

I bought from Goulet and their customer service is beyond top notch. I don't anticipate a problem.

You chose the correct nib in my opinion. The Sailor B should match up to the L2K M, or close to it. The L2K F is finer then my Sailor B, but not by much.

I think you will enjoy the pen.

Here's how this turned out: the L2k M is a PERFECT match. I honestly forgot how fine typical mediums are. I think my Nemosine B must be on the high end.

I couldn't be happier with my nib choice. :)

LAFAYsw.jpg

Here's how this turned out: the L2k M is a PERFECT match. I honestly forgot how fine typical mediums are. I think my Nemosine B must be on the high end.

I couldn't be happier with my nib choice. :)

LAFAYsw.jpg

It appears that the Lamy has babys bottom. Notice the line variation and the darker and considerably wider areas only where there is more pressure, while none on the Sailor showing a more consistent flow.

Edited by Bluey

It appears that the Lamy has babys bottom. Notice the line variation and the darker and considerably wider areas only where there is more pressure, while none on the Sailor showing a more consistent flow.

The Lamy has a different shape than the Sailor nib. Lamy nibs are almost rectangular, so some line variation is normal.

My Lamy 2000 was exactly the same as that. You can verify it by dragging the nib along the paper using only it's own weight.

Edited by Bluey

I checked it using a loupe and I don't see any baby's bottom (if it's there it's not much).

At any rate, I'm happy with the nib so unless it starts giving me trouble I'm disinclined to care whether or not it has slight baby's bottom. That "unintended line variation" is actually something I look for in pens, but isn't usually something I am lucky enough to find.

Also this is a heavily shading ink where the Sailor is not using heavily shading ink, and the Sailor has a much stiffer nib.

I checked it using a loupe and I don't see any baby's bottom (if it's there it's not much).

At any rate, I'm happy with the nib so unless it starts giving me trouble I'm disinclined to care whether or not it has slight baby's bottom. That "unintended line variation" is actually something I look for in pens, but isn't usually something I am lucky enough to find.

I think your nib is fine unless you have issues with hard starting. It does not sound like you do.

Also this is a heavily shading ink where the Sailor is not using heavily shading ink, and the Sailor has a much stiffer nib.

Both have equally stiff nibs. Have a look from the side at your Lamy 2000 for yourself when you press down - absolutely no give whatsoever, no matter how much you press down.

To produce that line variation and shading requires more than having the foot-type tipping, especially when the nib is super stiff. But as Driften says, if you're happy with the way that it writes then that's al that counts.

Both have equally stiff nibs. Have a look from the side at your Lamy 2000 for yourself when you press down - absolutely no give whatsoever, no matter how much you press down.

To produce that line variation and shading requires more than having the foot-type tipping, especially when the nib is super stiff. But as Driften says, if you're happy with the way that it writes then that's al that counts.

This ink shades if you look at. Having both nibs, trust me, the 2000 has a lot more give. The tines spread slightly when moderate pressure is applied. The sailor just laughs if you try that. It's a nail. If the Lamy is a nail, the sailor is an ice pick.

That said, it writes much wetter today now that the feed has had time to saturate. Day 1 is always iffy.

Actually, the figure 8s in the photo if that's what you are talking about were done by deliberate pressure. It's a soft nib. The Sailor is not.

Neither are soft nibs. I owned the Lamy 2000 for over a year and I have 3 Sailors right next to me. They are no different in their softness, and the Lamy 2000 nib is as stiff as you can get. The geometry of the nib alone tells you that. It has all the softness of the Parker 51 and the Waterman Carene. Zilch.

Edited by Bluey