The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Need An Old-School Pencil Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SlowRain

SlowRain

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:10

I'm looking for a fairly decent brand of wooden pencil, preferably Japanese or European as they would be easier for me to source.  I'd like it just for some doodling, not hardcore art.  The paper will be Life Noble (those thick-ish blue, brown, & orange notebooks). 

I know next to nothing about pencil lead. I'd like something that 1.) won't rub off onto the opposing page, and 2.) will still stick around for a very long time.  I can tolerate a lighter-colored line if it will meet those two criteria.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 KublaiKhan

KublaiKhan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:24

I strongly suggest a mechanical pencil or two (different lead thicknesses, say 0.5 and 0.9 mm). I use a standard Pentel Twist-Erase. Very nice to hold, since they are thicker than wood pencils and won’t tire your hand, and more importantly, you can source different brands of lead and settle on what you like best. Perfect for doodling (and even serious writing).

#3 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:04

Go get a set of 6 or 8 ( they usually come in pretty decent metal box also ) Mitsubishi Uni , Stendler, Faber are quite common and they can be had at most stationary store, you do not need the top end variant, just the typical 2H to 4B ( or 6B depending on packaging ) Tombow is also quality product but I do know their distribution can some time be tough to get to depending on where you are. Standard wooden pencil is very very very old and mature product. Even stationary brand like Swan are making very quality ones, so just hop over to your local stationary supply ( or art supply if it be so ) and ask.

#4 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:36

1 and 2 are easy requirements, because lead is archival and doesn't rub off (unless you are using 2B and softer).

I believe that the top notch is Staedtler Mars Lumograph, but I reckon it costs like 3/pencil. The rule of thumb with graphite is that Japanese pencils are darker, due to the different ratio of clay:graphite they use compared to European standards.

personally, I loved the Tombow "recycled"

#5 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:27

The Mitsubishi pencils get good reviews, the 9850 is very well thought of by reviewers.

#6 Mike-S

Mike-S

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 14:03

I use a Tombow Mono100 HB. Nice and dark.

It matters not with what you write,

it only matters that you write.

#7 SlowRain

SlowRain

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 15:19

Anyone ever heard of Otto, a Japanese brand of pencil?

#8 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 16:44

I'd go with the Mitsubishi or Tombow  pencils.

#9 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 23:01

California Republic makes my favorite new pencils: HB with standard eraser, and several types of Palomino Blackwing. All made in Japan, available on-line at:

- https://pencils.com/...encils-12-pack/

or

- https://pencils.com/...st_type[]=post#

I find the Tombow pencils are a shade thinner than the Palomino.

Good old-fashioned pencils: General Semi-hex Number 2 (HB) and Number 1 (B):

- Number 2, through Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...semihex pencils

- From General Pencil Company: http://www.generalpencil.com/ which includes their history and photos of the factory.

Shopping at: http://store.general...il.com/sunshop/

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#10 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:03

Tombow pencils were the choice of animators when we were still doing our work on paper: the graphite is very finely ground, which makes for a smooth line, and they come in a big variety of hardnesses.
When the company announced in the mid-90s that they were going to stop selling these things in the US, we stocked up like survivalists.
I still have dozens of boxes, and the company reconsidered. Anyway, they’re really good pencils.

Sponsored Content

|