Old Newbie From Sinister Side

Chmara

At age 76, I decided to learn Calligraphy starting with trying to make my left handed script look less like that of a fifth grade delinquent in a bad school. My current hand took a while to develop in grammar school as they first tried switching hands for me, then thought the serial application of at least three different hand writing systems, then switching me back to printing would work. None did.

At the end of eighth grade my mother and father made sure I could use, at least with six fingers of two hands, and gave me a wonderful Parker fountain pen to use in high school classes. With the pen I could almost make clear Xs inside the boxes used for multiple choice tests, but little else. The family typewriter was needed to get me though anything longer than writing (hahaha) my name. Meanwhile I was aware that Mom used a beautiful Spencerian and dad had a solid, but rushed, copperplate. Both were righties.

Leaving for college my folks got me a portable typewriter that produced a script (Olivetti Scriptwriter) and I started signing things with a ball point illegible but distinct scrawl. A good memory and mind meant I did not have to take a lot of notes -- and earned me a failing grade in one class where turning n a notebook was required.

By the time I was in the Air Force electric typewriters were available but I had to I supply my own. The most of my work as an editor only required pencil circles, a line to the margin, and a few diacritical marks on copy along with words spelled out in hand printing to be delivered to a typesetter. It was at least 20 years before I got a computer -- but I only printed and scrawled by hand.

My 76th birthday, I decided enough. Lefty or not I would write cursive well enough to learn Calligraphy as a year plus project applying the patience I have learned with age. That was three months ago and it is a project I hope to master before I die sometime in the future.

At this writing my script hand is now up to a sixth grade level. Along the way I have spent some time learning of pens and the history of writing - and have been sidetracked a little trying to make a Frankenpen of a Jinhao 750 and Zebra G Nibs. It almost works. I purchased and received several inexpensive pens from India, one of which flexes well and fit the last of my budget. (I am retired on social security only.) I have one working pen for cursive.

I also got a set or PIlot Parallel pens because on You-Tube Blackletter looked fairly easy. BUT -- A BIG BUT -- is that the clips showed everything being done by a right hander. The two exceptions I found were, first working at 90 degrees on the paper and lettering from the now top to bottom of the paper making the letters (expertly) sideways. The second example was demonstrated with large pauses between strokes, strokes in various orders to avoid smearing , but often constructed with specific letter strokes starting right to left, offering spacing problems.

Being a Sinister Sider (lefty) has not left me without an ability to problem solve, especially using the library and net. So I looked for books that were based upon left handedness. The only two I found with any depth are by Shepherd and are out of print. The used copies (in only good condition) run $75 and the alphabet example book is another $40. The total is much more than my meager income allows -- so back to the net.

On the net, the materials are mostly for righties or very repetitive by well meaning lefties who describe the basic problems and few solutions. They are clear on three types of hand positions (over, under and sideways) but do not recognize the limitation of wrist control this imposes, of lack of movement in the whole arm.

I also here have looked, but found few correlated presentations of various hints, ideas and solutions for lefties...but great general information. I have also wondered why we do not have a separate area for lefties to correspond on ideas and tips. I do not know if, as a newbie, I should say "we" but as a representative of under-represented and misunderstood lefties everywhere -- I feel a little justified.

My first entry was under Nibs asking about the left handed nibs in use -- and decided it was finally time to write an intro to myself.

Gregg Chmara

Curmudgeon

Tucson, AZ USA

Where Ink Dries Fast

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chmara

• jar

• OCArt

• Carrau

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I congratulate you on your journey and progress. It is not easy to unlearn habits ingrained in our bodies.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks for the greetings -- and as far as pulling up a stump to sit, the last time I tried anything like that in Tucson, AZ was years ago. I had just moved in from the north --where I would lean against trees when conversations got long.

Soon after arrival here, talking to a new friend, out of the corner of my eye I caught a tree nearby to lean on --- and did so. EXCEPT the tree was a Saguaro Cactus, about 15 feet high with thorns up and down every rib surrounding its appearant "trunk." No leaves atop the damned thing and the thorns --- well let's just say I backed into the Saguaro surrounded by the thorned ribs.

SO, if you mean the stump of al old Oak or Elm -- be happy to sit down and talk. If in a leafy forest of Ash, Birch, Chestnut, Maple and Elm, be happy to lean while you sit. But on Arizona -- let's sit on a plush couch in air conditioning to chat.

Gregg Chmara

Tucson, AZ

Where Ink Dries Fast

It's a dry heat

Welcome, from a fellow curmudgeon !

I can only offer that handwriting improves with practice. Find excuses to write. Slow down ! Concentrate on shaping each letter as you wish it to appear. "Steal" , from others, written characters that you like better than your own.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late, but: Hello Gregg and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

That is one awesome initial post!!!! Glad you are with us! Welcome!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Thank you for your story! I am also a lefty who decided to finally get some handwriting that I can be proud of. I'm 34 so my journey is beginning sooner, but we are on the same path. I bought a copy of a calligraphy for left handers book, but it didn't provide much help that wasn't available on the internet.

I'd be happy to talk to you about what I am finding or provide any answers that my limited experience can provide.

Welcome!

josh

Welcome to FPN! I enjoyed reading your intro and look forward to your insights.

Take care,

Najeeb

Najeeb