The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Danitrio Hakkaku Maki-Ie Dragon

danitrio hakkaku maki-e

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 20:27

Just picked up a Dantrio Hakkaku with dragon Maki-e and a 18k #6 size stub nib. The basic pen shape is an octagon, which is the name of the pen style, hakkaku. There is no clip. The base color is shu tame-nuri, that is, red urushi with translucent top coat. Many urushi pens stop at this stage as it is highly polished and very beautiful changing look over time slightly, an effect that is enhanced by the facets of the octagonal pen body. This pen has had decorative urushi painting applied over the shu tami-nuri base using various maki-e techniques and several urushi colors. The design is of a 5-toed dragon, a Chinese dragon, with Buddhist fire symbol all underneath some flowers. While I'm not aware of the significance or meaning of the design it is very cool. The dragon is animated and threatening!. The level of artistry is really rather extreme. Flat, raised, polished, burnished, multiple colored urushi with details sprinkled with gold powder. Many steps, much time and patience, and advanced skills are needed to produce artwork such as this. Functional art; the stub nib writes as nicely as one might expect and feeds from a cartridge converter. This Danitrio is not set up for eyedropper filling. Pen comes in a Pawlonia wood box with a decorative fabric pen sleeve. The pen is signed by the artist with his imprint or kao, a Mr. Koichiro Okazaki I believe.

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1459.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 20:49

Nice pen.  Great new style stub nib as well. I have one of the shorter Sho-Hakkau versions and it may be my favorite Dani.

medium800.jpg

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 991 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 23:15

Nice pen.  Great new style stub nib as well. I have one of the shorter Sho-Hakkau versions and it may be my favorite Dani.

medium800.jpg

Nice one!

#4 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 23:46

That is one beautiful pen.

#5 dennis_f

dennis_f

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 946 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 00:23

Wow, that is hot (no pun intended).

D

#6 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:39

I have not seen this design before. Do you know if it is recent work or from the back catalog?

Congratulations. My very first Danitrio was a hakkaku.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#7 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:54

Beautiful pen - very good artwork from the photos, although I know you must see the oen irl to really get all the subbtleties of the maki-e. Great to read the nib is good too ;)

#8 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 991 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:14

I have not seen this design before. Do you know if it is recent work or from the back catalog?

Congratulations. My very first Danitrio was a hakkaku.

I cannot find another example online anywhere. It's possible it was produced for the year of the dragon in 2012, but that might make it too old for the nib style... Hard to say.

#9 pendwarf

pendwarf

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 17:22

That is a spectacular pen and thanks for taking the time to photograph it so well.  I have only one lacquer Danitrio (a Genkai) and your pen certainly makes me want another.  I also have a raw ebonite Densho.  These are hard pens to not love.

Edited by pendwarf, 25 December 2017 - 17:23.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: danitrio, hakkaku, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|