The Failure With The Search For Parker 51

praha

I have been looking for a nice Parker 51 (aerometric). Interesting observation: the American dealers describe in detail the cap, the number of scratches, no scratches on barrel, but little or nothing about the NIB. While I absolutely no matter what there will be scratches, it is important NIB. The main thing that it was smooth and not worn. I have bad experience of buying a very beautiful Parker 51 with 40% erased with a nib. I handle the necessary for GOOD WRITING, not to show himself to the girls. To requests to show a close-up photo of the pen is silence. I haven't been able to find a decent copy. Understand. it's hard to find a pen 40-50-60 year old with very good nib. Will look for NOS (I'm interested in F or F-M).But it's very strange that American collectors in the first place put appearance of the hood, but never the pen :(

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praha

• AL01

• welch

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

90 % of my 51s came with good to excellent nibs. The rest (10 %) came with working but a bit worn nibs. I bought just one 51 with a damaged nib that I knew about but bought it (pretty cheap) because of the pristine gold cap that it had.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Also check the website of Peyton Street Pens in Santa Cruz, California. The description of a pen usually includes comments on the nib, for example how much tipping material remains on it and how it behaves (for example, "smooth and firm"), as well as a close-up photograph of the nib.

I have bought two Parker 51s from Peyton Street Pens, and both have excellent nibs.

Most EBay sellers don't know the size of nib in a Parker 51. The "gauge" is not shown anywhere. By the 1960's, Parker was stamping a nib-identifier in nibs for the 45 and 75, but it's harder to guess the gauge in the 51.

It's safe to guess that any US-made Parker 51 will have a fine nib (or finer). The English Parker seems to have made more mediums and broads than the US factory.

Some nibs will have been worn down or misused, so I tend to look for a side-view of the nib. If there is a plump bit of tipping, a nib can always be tuned up.

As mentioned above, a restoration-seller should know the nib and should sell only good nibs. Ernesto is good, and there are others. Of course be prepared to spend $25 - $50 more to get a pen you can trust. Oh, and people do sell P-51 nibs, so even a hopelessly bad nib can be replaced.

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I wrote to Mr. Soller, but he replied that he did not send photos of the nibs. Surprisingly, from the reputable seller has no photo of the most important in the pen - nibs! I bought a feather pen that was similar to this, I believe that it is hard to fix. Probably the only guarantee is to -- look for NOS . It will be more expensive, but are guaranteed excellent pen. Not erased.

https://images.vfl.ru/ii/1514054178/69d91d59/19895936_m.jpg

Edited by praha

Thanks for the thoughts!

Broadish Medium nib – not very good for me. I wish I was thinner.

Another question: what are the "pitfalls" at the NOS? Could something be damaged caused by over 40-50 years? I have three suggestions for about the same price.

HOT #$%^ that's a nice nib.

If ya buy NOS, (which was a running joke with a friend of mine...), you would probably be recommended to keep the thing NOS.

There should be NOTHING wrong with the 51 if it is NOS...

45s and 21s can have problems NOS, but not really 51s.

If the price is good...

Then snatch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(My 51 has a worn out nib as well... It's OK. I guess that's how we learn. You usually don't have the same problem with Esties because of the sheer amount of NOS nibs that are available.)

HOT #$%^ that's a nice nib.

If ya buy NOS, (which was a running joke with a friend of mine...), you would probably be recommended to keep the thing NOS.

Why? I wouldn't. It's already a really old pen and may have started to degrade in certain places.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Broadish Medium nib – not very good for me. I wish I was thinner.

Another question: what are the "pitfalls" at the NOS? Could something be damaged caused by over 40-50 years? I have three suggestions for about the same price.

You would love that nib even if you liked "thinner." NOS = $$$$$. As soon as you ink it = $$.

I can personally vouch for the integrity of that seller and the quality of his work.

Glenn

​the 'feathers' are worn? Are you talking about the feathers on the clip? If so, isn't that more about looks and less abut nib performance?

This seller has some good stuff...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Restored-1952-Parker-51-Midnight-Blue-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Broad-Nib-Alloy-Cap/162817556969?hash=item25e8aec1e9:g:XbkAAOSwOA1aPm1t

The nib looks like a thinner "M"...

But it should write well!

I think that both these pens (AL01's and the one praha linked to) are near the top of the money for what they are.

Both have been overhauled, so it would be a choice of colour, cap and nib.

Both nibs seem nice and chunky.

If you're after a finer nib, keep looking, there'll be one along soon enough.

Good luck

You would love that nib even if you liked "thinner." NOS = $$$$$. As soon as you ink it = $$.

---------------------

I think the proportion of the fall in the value of other - NOS = $$$$$. As soon as you ink it = $$$$. I see a few NOS at a price of $200-250, the same models are restored, but with severely worn shabby with a nib, 120-150. Of course, you lose when filling with ink $ 50-80. But this, I think, a reasonable fee for the guarantee.

I wrote to Mr. Soller, but he replied that he did not send photos of the nibs. Surprisingly, from the reputable seller has no photo of the most important in the pen - nibs! I bought a feather pen that was similar to this, I believe that it is hard to fix. Probably the only guarantee is to -- look for NOS . It will be more expensive, but are guaranteed excellent pen. Not erased.

https://images.vfl.ru/ii/1514054178/69d91d59/19895936_m.jpg

Ernesto Soler, Parker51.com, might not send pictures of his P51 nibs, but if I trust his description of a pen. If he says that a pen has a fine nib, it has a fine nib. His P51s are reliable.

I just skimmed his site. He now offers more medium nibs than fine, which probably indicates that buyers want medium nibs now. I've found that Parker US medium nibs are narrower than English 51 nibs. If you want a fine-medium, Ernesto might have the 51 you want.

Another choice? Look through v a c u m a n i a dot com.

Another option is Battersea Pen Home, which lets a buyer choose the barrel and hod color plus the nib-gauge. http://www.penhome.co.uk/vintage-parker-51/parker-51-mk1-pens.html

Otherwise, the Ebay pen above looks splendid. Beautiful nib. That's the pen AL01 points toward.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

There are a ton of great sellers on this website from whom I have bought a ton (e.g. 30+) of Parker 51s and I have never been disappointed. When you buy make sure the seller is ok with you returning it if you are disappointed.

Dennis