Eclipse Streamline Pens

PenHero

Eclipse’s Canadian operations could be haphazard at times. For instance this pearl pen and pencil carry a barrel imprint that reads:
VIS-O-RAY
Eclipse Fountain Pen & Pencil Co. Ltd.
Toronto - Canada
But it has the distinctive stepped ends, designed by Toronto Operation Head Monroe Gold and used on the eponymous, and top end Monroe models. The Art Deco clip reads only Eclipse, and the cap is nicely finished with a vertical stacked-coin band. With a visulated section, it uses a gold plated nib stamped:
Eclipse (in the football logo)
Iridium Tip
Canada

fpn_1535136659__vis-o_ray_pp_-_e_.jpg

However this lizard-skin example, also imprinted…

VIS-O-RAY
Eclipse Fountain Pen & Pencil Co.
Toronto Canada
Design Reg.

…sports the Skylinish clip with the script:

Streamline.

fpn_1535136699__grn_strmlne_eclps_-_04.j

Eclipse has a long history of this kind of maddening, mix-and-match labeling which goes as far back as the early thirties with their Safety models.

Edited by DanDeM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• DanDeM

• Misfit

• langere

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Vis-O-Ray fountain pen and pencil set in silver and black striped celluloid c. 1940s. This 5 inch long Vis-O-Ray follows the Streamline design with a bullet shaped cap and barrel and a similar over the top clip stamped VIS-O-RAY. The name may derive from the visulated section. The black stripes of the celluloid are translucent. The silver strips, especially on the cap, have faded to a light brown color. It's a lever filler and has VIS-O-RAY over ECLIPSE FOUNTAIN PEN AND PENCIL CO. LTD. over TORONTO - CANADA over DESIGN REG. stamped on the barrel. Wrapped around the cap under the clip is a wide paper band printed with "Genuine Osmiridium Point Guaranteed Lifetime Service." The clip and trim were gold plated, though much has worn off. The very firm stainless steel nib was gold plated and reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM over TIP over CANADA. The pencil is twist action.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseVisORay_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Great example. Never seen the Vis-O-Ray mark used on the hard-wear. Most commonly it appears on the barrel. Odd…all that plating loss, but the sticker is still in tact.
Thanks for showing.

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Vis-O-Ray fountain pen in black c. 1940s. This 5 5/16 inch long Vis-O-Ray follows the Streamline design with a bullet shaped cap and barrel and a similar over the top clip stamped VIS-O-RAY. The name may derive from the visulated section. It has been converted to a bulb filler but may have originally been a syringe filler. Filling involves removing the blind cap and squeezing the bulb to fill the pen. There are no imprints on the barrel. The clip and trim were gold plated, though much has worn off. The very firm gold plated stainless steel nib appears to be a replacement.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseVisORay_1280_03.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Vogue green striped celluloid fountain pen c. 1940s. It follows the clip and cap design of the Eclipse Streamline and has a full balance shape cap and barrel. This Vogue pen may be made by Eclipse or an Eclipse sub-brand. The clip has VOGUE stamped in an oval at the top, similar to the Eclipse logo on Eclipse Streamline clips. The 5 1/16 inch long pen is a Vacumatic type filler operated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel, inserting the nib in ink, and pumping the metal button. There is a spring in the long metal extension from the barrel and the barrel fills with ink. The trim is all gold plated, though nearly gone from the clip. There are no barrel imprints. The cap band is one piece designed to look like three bands. It has a clear ink view section and a firm gold plated stainless steel nib stamped SUPER over SMOOTH.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseVogue_1280_03.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in burgundy c. 1940s. This was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has a similar clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which itself may borrow from the Eversharp Skyline clip. Note the feathered design clip and the very wide cap band. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. The 5 3/16 inch long Hooded Knight is a button filler, activated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel. The pen is made of injection molded plastic and gray, blue, black and burgundy examples exist. The barrel imprint reads HOODED KNIGHT over MADE IN CANADA BY ECLIPSE. The section has an imprint indicating USA, Canada and Great Britain patents. The very firm nib has no hallmarks and may be gold plated.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnight_1280_04.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in translucent blue plastic c. 1950s. Based on advertising, the Hooded Knight first appeared in 1946 and by 1955 was being offered at manufacturer's clearances. The pen was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has a similar clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which itself may be borrowed from the Eversharp Skyline clip. Note the feathered design clip and the very wide cap band. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. The 5 3/16 inch long Hooded Knight is a button filler, activated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel. This version of the pen is made of dark blue translucent plastic and green examples also exist. Note the pressure bar and ink sac can be seen through the barrel. The Eclipse logo and CANADA stamping on the nib can be seen through the section. The barrel imprint reads HOODED KNIGHT over MADE IN CANADA BY ECLIPSE. The section has an imprint indicating USA, Canada and Great Britain patents. The very firm nib is probably gold plated as the pen sold for $1.25 Canadian and a pen and pencil set sold for $1.95.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnight_1280_06.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in translucent green plastic c. 1950s. Based on advertising, the Hooded Knight first appeared in 1946 and by 1955 was being offered at manufacturer's clearances. The pen was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has a similar clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which itself may be borrowed from the Eversharp Skyline clip. Note the feathered design clip and the very wide cap band. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. The 5 3/16 inch long Hooded Knight is a button filler, activated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel. The metal button can be seen through the blind cap. Also note the Eclipse logo and CANADA stamping on the nib can be seen through the section. The barrel imprint reads HOODED KNIGHT over MADE IN CANADA BY ECLIPSE. The section has an imprint indicating USA, Canada and Great Britain patents. The very firm nib is probably gold plated as the pen sold for $1.25 Canadian and a pen and pencil set sold for $1.95.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnight_1280_07.jpg
Thanks!

Hmm, when thinking what I paid for my first car, they sound expensive. But that was the 1990s.

Those are some pretty pens.

My first car (used) cost me $125 and $7 for two exhaust valves which I replaced in about two hours one Saturday morning . The next one was $10 and a Puma hunting Knife for a 1965 Mustang Coupe in need of a few repairs , a 302 car with a 4 speed . That was 1970 when I was on a $1 a week allowance and cut three yards for a neighbor for $7.50 for the three . That $125 took a lot of saving .

The over the top clip on the red Eclipse looks as much like a Sheaffer clip as it does an Eversharp , not made exactly the same but has the look . Eversharp was the Johnnie Come Lately on that style clip I am thinking with Sheaffer using it before WWII .

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in blue c. 1950s. This was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has a similar clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which itself may borrow from the Eversharp Skyline clip. This example has a plain clip and is a lever filler. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. This 5 3/16 inch long pen has a barrel imprint reads HOODED KNIGHT over MADE IN CANADA BY ECLIPSE. The section has an imprint indicating USA, Canada and Great Britain patents. The very firm nib has no hallmarks and considering these pens sold for $1 Canadian is probably gold plated stainless steel.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnight_1280_08.jpg
Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in green c. late 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 5/16 inch long button filler has no barrel imprint. The Eclipse logo stamped clip and the 3/8 inch ribbed cap band are lightly gold plated. The very firm gold plated stainless steel nib is stamped with the Eclipse logo over CANADA.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamlineGreen_2048_12.jpg
Thanks!

So - Jim, are you selling any of these beauties?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in burgundy c. early 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 1/4 inch long lever filler has no barrel imprint. The clip is stamped with the Eclipse logo and Steamline. All trim is lightly gold plated and prone to wear, as can be seen. The very firm stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM POINTED CANADA. It is very pitted and was originally gold plated.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamlineBurgundy_2048_13.jpg
Thanks!

These are keepers - they aren't expensive, but hard to find. :)

I understand and would do the same thing. ;)

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in gray c. 1940s. This was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has the same clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which itself may borrow from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. The 5 5/16 inch long Hooded Knight is a button filler, activated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel. The pen is made of injection molded plastic and gray, blue, black and burgundy examples exist. This example has no barrel or section imprint. The very firm nib is probably gold plated stainless steel.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnightGray_2048_09.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

Another green one I could not pass up!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in green c. late 1940s. The early Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip, but this model's clip ends in a point instead of wrapping over the cap top. The 5 5/16 inch long button filler has no barrel imprint. The Eclipse logo stamped clip and the 3/8 inch ribbed cap band are lightly gold plated and very susceptible to plating loss. The very firm gold plated stainless steel nib is stamped with the Eclipse logo over CANADA and this one shows pitting.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamlineGreen_2048_14a.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Vis-O-Ray lever fill fountain pen in pearl marble c. 1940s. This 4 3/4 inch long smaller size Vis-O-Ray follows the Streamline design with a bullet shaped cap and a similar over the top clip stamped VIS-O-RAY. The name may derive from the visulated section, which is hard to see in this example. The barrel is stamped VIS-O-RAY over ECLIPSE FOUNTAIN PEN AND PENCIL CO. LTD. over TORONTO - CANADA over DESIGN REG. The clip and trim were chrome or rhodium plated, though most has worn off. The very firm stainless steel nib is lightly stamped with the Eclipse logo over IRIDIUM over POINTED over CANADA.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseVisORay_2048_04.jpg
Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in burgundy c. 1940s. This was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has the same clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which itself may borrow from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. The section has an imprint indicating USA, Canada and Great Britain patents. The 5 5/16 inch long Hooded Knight is a button filler, activated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel. The pen is made of injection molded plastic and gray, blue, black and burgundy examples exist. This example has no barrel or section imprint. The very firm nib is damaged and is probably gold plated stainless steel.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnightBurgundy_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!