Eclipse Streamline Pens

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in burgundy c. early 1940s. This was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has a similar clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which may borrow from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. The 5 1/4 inch long Hooded Knight is a button filler, activated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel. The pen is made of injection molded plastic and gray, blue, black and burgundy examples exist. Some versions have longer gold cap bands that extend under the clip. Some have clips with a feathered design. The barrel imprint reads PENS HOODED KNIGHT PENCILS over ECLIPSE FOUNTAIN PEN AND PENCIL CO. LTD. over TORONTO - CANADA. The section has an imprint indicating USA, Canada and Great Britain patents. The very firm nib has no hallmarks and may be gold plated.
I would love to see other variations of this pen. Until I saw this one, I did not know they existed!
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnight_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• DanDeM

• Misfit

• langere

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in marbled burgundy c. early 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 5/16 inch long pen is a lever filler and has no barrel imprint. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. At least two barrel shapes are used, including this flat end with a pointed end cap and a more tapered end. The very firm gold plated stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM POINTED CANADA.
I just started running across these interesting pens and would like to see more photos. Please post yours!
http://penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Oh, Eclipse Pens. Do you know if they are easy to find, and are the prices reasonable?

You can pick up stuff like this any day of the week, for just a tad more than I paid for my first car.

fpn_1388954580__eclps_grn_filigree_pp_bo

fpn_1410363958__eclps_yllw_triband_-_1.j

Hmm, when thinking what I paid for my first car, they sound expensive. But that was the 1990s.

Those are some pretty pens.

Posted Image

After seeing the total solar eclipse, well before too, I wanted all things eclipse. No Eclipse pen for me, but I got Diamine Eclipse ink.

Still love the name.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread while searching for some more information on a pen my grandmother gave me. It is a grey Ecplise Hooded Knight. Now I'm not a collector or anything, but my grandmother was cleaning as she was moving and gave me her pen that she said she used in grade school and I came across this post. So I thought I would share the variant I have which is grey with gold trim. I hope the picture I will attach a picture later. And thank you for the useful post, it was interesting to learn a little bit about this pen.

I found this thread while searching for some more information on a pen my grandmother gave me. It is a grey Ecplise Hooded Knight. Now I'm not a collector or anything, but my grandmother was cleaning as she was moving and gave me her pen that she said she used in grade school and I came across this post. So I thought I would share the variant I have which is grey with gold trim. I hope the picture I will attach a picture later. And thank you for the useful post, it was interesting to learn a little bit about this pen.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in burgundy snakeskin celluloid c. early 1940s. This Eclipse Streamline borrows design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip, stamped with the Eclipse logo and Streamline on the face, as well as having the cigar shape of a Sheaffer Balance. The 5 1/8 inch long pen is a lever filler and has an Eclipse circular logo barrel imprint above the lever. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. At least two barrel shapes are used, including this balance shape as well as a flat end barrel shape. The very firm gold plated stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over CANADA.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in brown snakeskin c. early 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 5/16 inch long pen is a lever filler and has no barrel imprint. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. At least two barrel shapes are used, including this flat end with a pointed end cap and a more tapered end. The very firm stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM TIP over CANADA.

http://penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_03.jpg

Thanks!

Here is an interesting tidbit:

I have a catalog page from Simpsons in New Brunsick, Canada that shows the Streamline for CAN $1.68 and the pen and pencil set for CAN $2.59. The colors listed are bronze, burgundy and black and the black and white image appears to be a marbled celluloid. The pen has an ink-view window in the black section and the nib has the oval Eclipse logo.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in burgundy snakeskin c. early 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 5/16 inch long pen is a lever filler and has no barrel imprint. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. At least two barrel shapes are used, including this flat end with a pointed end cap and a more tapered end. The very firm stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over IRIDIUM over POINTED over CANADA. As can be seen, the gold plating on the trim and nib was very thin and subject to wear off.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_05.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in marbled green celluloid c. early 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The clip has the Eclipse logo stamped at the top and Streamline in a script on the face. The 5 5/16 inch long pen is a lever filler and has no barrel imprint. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. This marbled pattern is made from a strip that wraps around at an angle creating a twist pattern on the cap and barrel. At least two barrel shapes are used in these pens, including this flat end version with a black pointed end cap and a version with a more tapered end. The very firm gold plated stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over IRIDIUM over POINTED over CANADA.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_06.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Vogue Deluxe black fountain pen c. early 1940s. It follows the clip and cap design of the Eclipse Streamline with a tapered blunt ended barrel. It may be made by Eclipse or an Eclipse sub-brand. The clip has VOGUE stamped in an oval at the top, similar to the Eclipse logo on Eclipse Streamline clips. The 5 5/16 inch long pen is a lever filler and has VOGUE and Deluxe, in script, stamped on the barrel opposite the lever. It has a clear ink view section and a firm WARRANTED 14K stamped gold nib.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseVogue_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Hooded Knight in blue c. early 1940s. This was Eclipse Canada's response to the Parker 51 and has a similar clip design as the Eclipse Streamline model, which itself may borrow from the Eversharp Skyline clip. Note the feathered design clip and the wave design cap band. The hooded nib is actually an ordinary open nib hidden under an extension of the section that has a V cutout for the breather hole. The 5 3/16 inch long Hooded Knight is a button filler, activated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel. The pen is made of injection molded plastic and gray, blue, black and burgundy examples exist. Some versions have longer gold cap bands that extend under the clip. The barrel imprint reads HOODED KNIGHT over MADE IN CANADA BY ECLIPSE. The section has an imprint indicating USA, Canada and Great Britain patents. The very firm nib has no hallmarks and may be gold plated.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseHoodedKnight_1280_03.jpg
Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in green snakeskin celluloid c. early 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 5/16 inch long pen is a lever filler and has no barrel imprint. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. At least two barrel shapes are used, including this flat end with a pointed end cap and a more tapered end. The clip and trim are gold plated, though much has worn off. The very firm stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM over POINTED over CANADA.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_09.jpg

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen and pencil set in maroon striped celluloid c. early 1940s. The celluloid is very similar to the Maroon "iridescent Laidtone Permanite" used on the 1940s Parker Duofold pens. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 1/4 inch long pen is a lever filler and has no barrel imprint. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. At least two barrel shapes are used, including this flat end with a pointed end cap and a more tapered end. The clip and trim are gold plated, though it shows wear. The very firm stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM over POINTED over CANADA.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_10.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eclipse Vis-O-Ray fountain pen in brown snakeskin celluloid c. 1940s. This 5 3/16 inch long Vis-O-Ray follows the Streamline design with a bullet shaped cap and a similar over the top clip stamped VIS-O-RAY. The name may derive from the visulated section. It's a lever filler and has VIS-O-RAY over ECLIPSE FOUNTAIN PEN AND PENCIL CO. LTD. over TORONTO - CANADA over DESIGN REG. stamped on the barrel. Many different celluloids were used on Streamline pens, including this example. The clip and trim were gold plated, though most has worn off. The very firm stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM over POINTED over CANADA.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseVisORay_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Vogue black fountain pen c. 1940s. It follows the clip and cap design of the Eclipse Streamline and has a full balance shape cap and barrel. This Vogue pen may be made by Eclipse or an Eclipse sub-brand. The clip has VOGUE stamped in an oval at the top, similar to the Eclipse logo on Eclipse Streamline clips. The 5 1/16 inch long pen is a Vacumatic type filler operated by removing the blind cap from the end of the barrel, inserting the nib in ink, and pumping the metal button. There is a spring in the long metal extension from the barrel and the barrel fills with ink. The trim is all gold plated. There are no barrel imprints. The cap band is one piece designed to look like three bands. It has a clear ink view section and a firm gold plated stainless steel nib stamped IRIDIUM POINT U.S.A.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseVogue_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a better example that I found.

This is an Eclipse Streamline fountain pen in burgundy snakeskin c. early 1940s. The Eclipse Streamline appears to borrow design elements from the Eversharp Skyline clip. The 5 5/16 inch long pen is a lever filler and has no barrel imprint. Many different celluloids were used on the Streamline pen, including black, marbled colors and snakeskin colors. At least two barrel shapes are used, including this flat end with a pointed end cap and a more tapered end. The very firm stainless steel nib reads ECLIPSE over OSMIRIDIUM over POINTED over CANADA. As can be seen, the gold plating on the trim and nib was very thin and subject to wearing off.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EclipseStreamline_1280_11.jpg

Thanks!