The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Year's Pif: Vintage Saffer Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:42

I want to give away or sell all the pens that I have but don't use anymore. This one is a vintage Saffer (yes, Saffer, not Sheaffer) fountain pen that got me through a semester at university. It still works nicely, but I just don't use it anymore. So instead of having it collect dust, I decided to PIF it away. I will ship it anywhere, but ask the recipient to cover the shipping cost if it turns out to be too expensive.

The pen has a hooded design and is pretty tough, although there isn't much available information on the web. Perhaps somebody here can identify it better. It has a "Saffer" imprint on it, and it has a very simple piston filling mechanism. I tried to clean it out as best as I could, but the filler still has ink stains on it. Sorry for that. All I could find with Google is that this is either an Italian or a Spanish vintage school pen. The material feels durable, and the nib writes without issue. The barrel and cap have microscratches (normal for a pen of this age).

SAM_2230x.JPG

SAM_2228x.JPG

It could maybe get you through a few semesters, or could be a nice addition to your collection of vintage pens if you are into collecting European made pens. If you are interested, please write a few words about yourself (nothing uncomfortable, though) and what you will use the pen for. That's all! The winner will be selected by 31th December, so it's gonna be a new year's present. (Although it might take a few weeks to actually ship.)

Sponsored Content

#2 ShinsoHito

ShinsoHito

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:54

I recently got into the fp world, it's so interesting. I want to get into vintage pens, as well, because that seems to be a niche in a niche. Inks are more my domain, I came here from calligraphy, I was astounded to hear about shading not being a fault. Sheen is very cool too, and I want to try mix inks to make a very sheeny blue and be distracted by it.

#3 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:45

I read a recent thread suggesting that many Italian makers favored syringe fillers for their inexpensive school pens, back in the 60s.

#4 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 21:43

I read a recent thread suggesting that many Italian makers favored syringe fillers for their inexpensive school pens, back in the 60s.

Yes, and the syringe makes this filling system very reliable, since it is much less complicated than a twistable piston or a sac-based system. The syringe does require some force when you fill it, but maybe it's just a matter of applying some silicone grease there.

#5 Maine Vintner

Maine Vintner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 22:35

Nice idea to start the new year! And I like that you have requested a short "essay" rather than a first come first serve.

Merry Christmas to you.
John

#6 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 23:07

Nice idea to start the new year! And I like that you have requested a short "essay" rather than a first come first serve.

Merry Christmas to you.
John

Glad you like the idea!

I don't have many pens (there are less than a dozen, I think), but notice that 50% of them stay unused in a drawer. Now that I'm not so new to the fountain pen world anymore, I know better what stuff I like and what works for me, so I decided to keep the pens that I actually use (and maybe get more), and give away or sell those that I don't. I'm not the kind of guy to keep those I don't really use.

(There are some, though, that I don't know what to do with ― for instance I have a Parker 51 which works perfectly but is a little beat up. That would be okay for me but it writes with a broad point, while I prefer extra fines...)

#7 Qotg

Qotg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 20:50

I like astronomy, and take an elective class on it, it's just so cool to put it all in perspective, we're so small in comparison. The class itself isn't large, with very few people in attendance, as it's opt in, but I like it nonetheless.

#8 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 19:39

Not sure if this pen is Italian or Spanish though. I found a very old ebay listing which tells that its's Italian and some Spanish auction site which claims it's Spanish.

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 21:23

What a cool and awesome pen!  Great PIF.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#10 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 22:15

What a cool and awesome pen!  Great PIF.

Thanks! Should I take that as an entry on your part? :)

#11 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:36

Not an entry. Good gesture by you Venemo.
Khan

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:40

Thanks! Should I take that as an entry on your part? :)

:wub: I should have been more clear. I have received some very generous PIFs through out the years. I think this is a wonderful and cool pen.  I am going to decline because (gasp) I think I may have more pens than I can reasonably use.  *I haven't even bought ink in the last few months.  I know it is shocking.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#13 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:15

Aaaand... the winner is ShinsoHito. He will be contacted shortly to arrange shipping.

Sponsored Content

|