The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cursive Architect Nib?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 20:54

Is there such a beast? or am I hallucinating? I do have a Lamy EF nib that certainly behaves as such, but I don't see any mention of any grind shape that would be similar. It puts a thicker cross stroke than thin, and makes for a rather interesting variation, and I was looking for possible having it reproduced. I wish I had a sample, but sadly the pen is currently lost in storage somewhere... 

Sponsored Content

#2 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,118 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 22:11

I have a Sailor Naginata togi nib that behaves similar to what you're describing but I think what you're describing is a pretty standard architect grind. Maybe I'm missing something. 

#3 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 23:32

The nib I had, was very forgiving in terms of writing angle. Maybe a larger Naginata Togi nib grid is really what I'm searching for? 

#4 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,118 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:05

I bought a pro gear with a NMF and it may be my favorite nib. Ive only used one architect nib and wasnt as impressed, mainly because it was picky about the writing angle (my writing angle is apparently inconsistent). The NMF was amazing with just the right amount of line variation. I later bought a Naginata with a broader nib and the variation wasnt as interesting. Im tempted to try slimming down the edges to get thinner vertical strokes but am too chicken.

#5 Iollan

Iollan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:14

No real name for it. Your lamy is likely just a round point that has a thinner cross stroke than usual. Talk to your meister, a competent nib-grinder would know what to do. 

An architect grind can be made friendlier than usual as well, but these are not the same as what you're talking about. The difference is perhaps best likened to that of a stub and cursive italic, except with regards to the architect-grind shape. 

Naginatas do give architect-like line variation, but are a slightly different animal altogether when considered from a grind perspective.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|