The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Grinding A 1.1 Down To A Broad

jowo

5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 13:36

I use a few of the stock 1.1 mm from the usual etailors - all have been smooth - but I'd like to narrow them a bit. I'd like to see the ways our nib folks are doing this.  By hand with a stone? - slowly with a dremel ? - Mylar?

Grinders weigh in - many thanks,

-Bill W

Sponsored Content

#2 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 807 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 17:11

Bill 

Are you an experienced grinder? Would love to understand your approach because unless I am mistaken, the 1.1 nibs are usually stainless steel and don't have any tipping. It would mean you'd just have a narrower stub.  To technically get a broad, you have to retip it.

#3 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• 1,378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:26

Bill 

Are you an experienced grinder? Would love to understand your approach because unless I am mistaken, the 1.1 nibs are usually stainless steel and don't have any tipping. It would mean you'd just have a narrower stub.  To technically get a broad, you have to retip it.

Somewhat experienced Gerigo. I usually work with a 1.1 and trim them down a bit. I believe the Jowo have some tipping. I'm finding the 1.1 are just a little too broad. I could just as well grind a broad to a CI but I find them difficult to get them really smooth, so I just narrow down a 1.1. It works for me. I might be wrong about the tipping, I've never really thought about it.

#4 Iollan

Iollan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:53

The 1.1s are untipped. If you're going to rework nibs to a CI or even your own stubs, the better way to go around it would have been to start from a stock Broad nib.

Getting a round point from a stub is possible, but in this case of starting from a Jowo 1.1, non-optimal. For one thing, it's bare steel at the tipping. For another, while the stub has the horizontal width to work with, it doesn't have the vertical height to result in a properly done Broad. A Japanese F or M might be possible. The understanding required is no different from getting a round point from anything else; tools used, while important, are secondary.

I use a dremel for all my nibwork.

#5 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• 1,378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 15:04

The 1.1s are untipped. If you're going to rework nibs to a CI or even your own stubs, the better way to go around it would have been to start from a stock Broad nib.

Getting a round point from a stub is possible, but in this case of starting from a Jowo 1.1, non-optimal. For one thing, it's bare steel at the tipping. For another, while the stub has the horizontal width to work with, it doesn't have the vertical height to result in a properly done Broad. A Japanese F or M might be possible. The understanding required is no different from getting a round point from anything else; tools used, while important, are secondary.
I use a dremel for all my nibwork.

Thanks Iollan. Agreed that a broad to start with is the way to go. Thanks for the input. I just have to practice a bit.

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 17:16

Use a series of hard felt wheels with cutting compound to remove material as needed. Keep the nib cool to avoid problems.

High speed small diameter tools driven by a Dremel tool would not by my choice.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jowo

Sponsored Content

|