The Classic - Parker 51

TheBark

Hi everyone!

For the longest time I've been such a huge fan of the HERO aeromatic pens. I've grown my fountain pen collection over the past three years after discovering these wonderful instruments.

I am really looking for a Parker 51. I am willing to pay a suitable amount for the pen given its condition. I'd really appreciate it and be forever grateful if you can hook me up with one.

It'll have to be shipped to me.

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• inkstainedruth

• ak2k5

• tusharksingla

U cn contact pens point shop in new delhi.. they have quite a good lot of vintage pens for sale and they cn ship at ur place too..

Else check out on ebay.com for any listing.. be warned abt the fraud sellers there..

U cn contact pens point shop in new delhi.. they have quite a good lot of vintage pens for sale and they cn ship at ur place too..

Else check out on ebay.com for any listing.. be warned abt the fraud sellers there..

Any trusted sellers on ebay?

i dont remember any names.. but there are reviews of trusted sellers.. like 1000's have marked positive reviews.. thats an indication of a trusted seller on ebay..

you can easily find parker 51 in India itself..

pens point shop even has a blog site.. you can check for any model here too

https://penspoint.wordpress.com/author/penspoint/

I have purchased a Parker 51 from Pens Point and am very happy with the experience. Ravi of Pens Point is a genuine person and is very good to deal with.

Regards

Srinivas

• 2 weeks later...

i dont remember any names.. but there are reviews of trusted sellers.. like 1000's have marked positive reviews.. thats an indication of a trusted seller on ebay..

you can easily find parker 51 in India itself..

pens point shop even has a blog site.. you can check for any model here too

https://penspoint.wordpress.com/author/penspoint/

How come every pen listed is NOS? Is it possible that all NOS pens end up here?

Khan M. Ilyas

not discouraging ...but i didn't really like the parker 51 after getting it with very high hopes after all the hype and just sold it

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

not discouraging ...but i didn't really like the parker 51 after getting it with very high hopes after all the hype and just sold it

A guy in my local pen club dislikes 51s immensely -- he doesn't like the look of the hooded nib, even while rationally understanding the design process behind it.

I figure, that means more for me.... B)

Although, truthfully, other than getting a few colors that have eluded me, I've mostly got all the ones I want. There are some colors I *don't* want -- like Cocoa, and Buckskin Beige -- and some (like the greens) I'm ambivalent about. And yeah, while it would be nice to get a full sized Plum (mine is a Demi) I'm not willing to pay the prices that the rarer colors are generating these days. I. have mine, and I love it, and it's okay by me if it's a user grade pen, because I USE it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A guy in my local pen club dislikes 51s immensely -- he doesn't like the look of the hooded nib, even while rationally understanding the design process behind it.

I figure, that means more for me.... B)

Although, truthfully, other than getting a few colors that have eluded me, I've mostly got all the ones I want. There are some colors I *don't* want -- like Cocoa, and Buckskin Beige -- and some (like the greens) I'm ambivalent about. And yeah, while it would be nice to get a full sized Plum (mine is a Demi) I'm not willing to pay the prices that the rarer colors are generating these days. I. have mine, and I love it, and it's okay by me if it's a user grade pen, because I USE it....

i actually got it due to the hooded nib. i love hooded nibs and lamy 2k is my favourite pen. i can't really pinpoint the reason why i disliked the parker 51. maybe the plastic build? and even though i liked minimalistic designs the pen just seemed meh to me. i will just say it didn't capture my imagination like i thought it would. im not belittling the pen in anyway as to stand the test of time like 51 did and still have so many fans is no small thing. The pen was just not for me thats all.

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

I would like to see more people disliking the P51. That way my chances of picking more and more 51s would increase.

:lol:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thinking of buying one but cannot understand why a still fairly common pen with a plastic body and fairly primitive filling system goes for such big money tbh.

Well, the pen wasn't made of "plastic" -- it was made of LUCITE (a trademarked very stable and rugged material), which was pretty revolutionary for its time. And the "primitive filling system" (as you call it) on the Aerometric models actually is quite revolutionary for the time the pen was designed -- there were patents, and I can't think of too many other pens whose designs got them into museum permanent collections.

For its time, everything about the pen was for one purpose: to make it a superb writing instrument. The hooded nib was to prevent leaks on planes, back in the days before cabins were pressurized. The sac is a type of plexiglass and the fill system was designed to deal with Superchrome ink, which made some of the modern inks (everyone knows I mean "the ink which shall not be named", right?) look positively benign in comparison. The collector meant that the pen could be very efficient in ink usage. And so on, and so on.

The streamlined design makes for a very comfortable pen to hold (you should see all the complaints about pens which have a step-down between the barrel and the section). It looks sleek and modern, and does not look in any way "dated" or old-fashioned -- in spite of having been designed close to three quarters of a century ago. For their time, they were an expensive pen -- but they were Parker's flagship pen for 20 years. I've seen estimates that they made something like 20 million of them (after 12 million, Parker stopped counting). You find an Aerometric in the wild, and odds are good that once you soak and flush the pen out, it will need... nothing. No repairs, no replacement Plyglass sac, nothing. Just flush it out well, then fill it with ink. In fact the ONLY downside to a 51 is that the nibs are not going to have flex. But if you want to write the Great American Novel, it's a pen that will write well, be comfortable to use for long sessions, and not have to constantly refill; I can't think of too many other pens I'd reach for as my first choice.

Oh, and the most I think I've ever paid for one was an English-made Navy Gray Aerometric with an OB nib. And that was last year in the auction at the Triangle Pen Show; with the buyer's premium I think it came to around $121 US. Most of my other ones have been way less -- even the Plum Demi Aero (although I think that was something of a fluke). I got the Plummer on eBay and was absolutely convinced I'd be completely outbid; and I *still* paid more for mine (nearly double) than what FPN member Farmersmum paid for what IIRC was a full sized Plum the same weekend, listed by the seller as being Black.... :wallbash:(the head-bangng .gif being from the fact that I remember that listing and didn't look at it twice at the time -- after all, it was a black pen, right? the seller said so...).

+1 for what Ruth said above. One explanation, thoigh. It is not the hooded nib that prevent leaks on planes. It is, rather, the breather tube and its design (small delicate hole at a specific place) that prevents the leaks. And the 51 aero was called AEROMETRIC because of this very breather tube.

Khan M. Ilyas

The 51 doesn't go for big money. Compared with many other pens, it goes for rather small money. The one I bought most recently cost $40, admittedly a below average price, but not far below the average I've paid.

It was in its time the most desired pen of the world's leading pen manufacturer. And although I understand that some people who like to tinker with pens find it boring, because it doesn't very often require tinkering, i write with pens and "dead reliable" is an idea worth money to me.