Italix Parson's Essential Massdrop - $52 Shipped ($105 Gold Nib)

Honeybadgers

Like always, only reporting on stuff I put money down on. I went with an amber pen with a medium oblique italic. All of the awesome italix nibs are available, from fine italics to broad cursive italics, left and right hand obliques, etc.

The 18k nib only comes in medium and adds $55. I was tempted, but I have lots of gold nibs and have heard nothing but insane things about the italix italic grinds.

And as always, if you're signing up for massdrop or plan on buying, please use my link!

https://www.massdrop.com/r/Q3CDKB

And here's the link to the pen itself

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/italix-parsons-essential-fountain-pen

MD-11446_20150930150941_2a7ff946c2852d89

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• pjford

• truthpil

• Honeybadgers

Two new additional colours too, Clerical Purple and Canary.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

To all those Italix enthusiasts out there who want an even greater range of nibs, do have a look at the Italix Originalis range of pens on the Mr. Pen website. If you have never seen a 3B or a 4B nib or their equivalent in an oblique form, you will find them there. Just when you thought it couldn't get better.......it does.

Adrian

I had one and found it horrible! The nib always, always skipped, and the the customer service was curt and impersonal. The pen looks lovely, and some people seem to really enjoy them, but I would caution new users. I did fidnsome reviewers who also found the pen a poor performer.

Fpnibs.com is also an alternative. Italix pens seem quite expensive. They are in the end a Chinese pen with a grounded Jovo nib.

I think that's a gross oversimplification. Italix ground nibs are pretty flipping legendary (though pablo's work is outstanding, shipping for just a nib that isn't something like my $220 flex nib is kind of silly)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

What makes them legendary? I tried two nibsM & Bthe M skipped horribly. The B wrote slightly more consistently, but nothing amazing. I found my Waterman nibs to be far more reliable and smooth.

What model do you use? Ive read a number of reviews, lamenting their poor nib performance.

What makes them legendary? I tried two nibsM & Bthe M skipped horribly. The B wrote slightly more consistently, but nothing amazing. I found my Waterman nibs to be far more reliable and smooth.

What model do you use? Ive read a number of reviews, lamenting their poor nib performance.

all reports are anecdotal

most are positive (over the year that I looked at them)

some are not

YRMV

The skipping issue in most cases probably has nothing to do with the nib itself, but with the problem of ink not wanting to leave the converter. Several posts have been made about that and I think even some YouTube videos (I believe Matt of PenHabit talks about it in his review of the pen).

My crisp medium italic Parson's Essential has the smoothest nib possible and holds it own against the best of my buttery smooth vintage nibs.

Slippery smooth and nicely wet.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Fpnibs.com is also an alternative. Italix pens seem quite expensive. They are in the end a Chinese pen with a grounded Jovo nib.

No, they are not made in China

I'll stand by Mr. Ford here. I live in China and buy lots of metal Chinese pens (although, admittedly, not any that cost as much as an Italix pen).

None of them come close to the quality of the Parson's Essential!

Look, to be even more reductive, most pen bodies are just expensive tubes for cheap converters and plastic feeds and steel/gold nibs. To generalize that some countries are more legit in how they dress up these similar ink delivery systems is mostly facile over generalization or a form of prejudice. For example, if you can't see the difference between an x750 and a Parsons Essential, then of course don't buy the PE. There are others of us who do see and appreciate the quality of the latter over the former. But as always, each consumer gets to decide how to spend her money.

Edited by TSherbs

Our new pen the 'Deacon's Doodle' is the first Italix pen to made in China (PRC) and the quality is excellent plus we are able to sell it for a very low price.

Our new pen the 'Deacon's Doodle' is the first Italix pen to made in China (PRC) and the quality is excellent plus we are able to sell it for a very low price.

I really get a kick out of the church-inspired names.

Edited by TruthPil

Why does it matter where they are made? The pens are of high quality and the nibs are truly amazing.

• 1 year later...