The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to a continuing DDoS attack, FPN could be moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with this. The earlier reported hardware issue has been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Italix Parson's Essential Massdrop - $52 Shipped ($105 Gold Nib)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:53

Like always, only reporting on stuff I put money down on. I went with an amber pen with a medium oblique italic. All of the awesome italix nibs are available, from fine italics to broad cursive italics, left and right hand obliques, etc.

The 18k nib only comes in medium and adds $55. I was tempted, but I have lots of gold nibs and have heard nothing but insane things about the italix italic grinds.

And as always, if you're signing up for massdrop or plan on buying, please use my link!

https://www.massdrop.com/r/Q3CDKB

And here's the link to the pen itself

https://www.massdrop...al-fountain-pen

MD-11446_20150930150941_2a7ff946c2852d89

Sponsored Content

#2 pjford

pjford

Italix at MrPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 15:12

Two new additional colours too, Clerical Purple and Canary.

flowlittle.png                    www.mrpen.co.uk

#3 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 16:03

It's a good deal. But I already own one.

#4 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 15:24

Isn't this regular price or very close to?

Pens: Ranga Model 3C, Kaweco Classic Sport, Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Al-Star, Fellowship Blackbird (ground to crisp italic)

In the Mail: Hero 565, Jinhao 159, Wing Wung 233, Wing Sung 590

#5 cullercoats

cullercoats

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 15:36

To all those Italix enthusiasts out there who want an even greater range of nibs, do have a look at the Italix Originalis range of pens on the Mr. Pen website. If you have never seen a 3B or a 4B nib or their equivalent in an oblique form, you will find them there. Just when you thought it couldn't get better.......it does.

Adrian

#6 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 22:20

I had one and found it horrible! The nib always, always skipped, and the the customer service was curt and impersonal. The pen looks lovely, and some people seem to really enjoy them, but I would caution new users. I did fidnsome reviewers who also found the pen a poor performer.

#7 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:32

Fpnibs.com is also an alternative. Italix pens seem quite expensive. They are in the end a Chinese pen with a grounded Jovo nib.

Pens: Ranga Model 3C, Kaweco Classic Sport, Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Al-Star, Fellowship Blackbird (ground to crisp italic)

In the Mail: Hero 565, Jinhao 159, Wing Wung 233, Wing Sung 590

#8 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,257 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 14:09

redacted

Edited by TSherbs, 01 January 2018 - 14:10.

#9 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:06

Fpnibs.com is also an alternative. Italix pens seem quite expensive. They are in the end a Chinese pen with a grounded Jovo nib.

I think that's a gross oversimplification. Italix ground nibs are pretty flipping legendary (though pablo's work is outstanding, shipping for just a nib that isn't something like my $220 flex nib is kind of silly)

#10 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 14:44

What makes them legendary? I tried two nibsM & Bthe M skipped horribly. The B wrote slightly more consistently, but nothing amazing. I found my Waterman nibs to be far more reliable and smooth.

What model do you use? Ive read a number of reviews, lamenting their poor nib performance.

#11 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,257 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:27

What makes them legendary? I tried two nibsM & Bthe M skipped horribly. The B wrote slightly more consistently, but nothing amazing. I found my Waterman nibs to be far more reliable and smooth.

What model do you use? Ive read a number of reviews, lamenting their poor nib performance.

all reports are anecdotal

most are positive (over the year that I looked at them)

some are not

YRMV

#12 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 1,792 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 23:59

The skipping issue in most cases probably has nothing to do with the nib itself, but with the problem of ink not wanting to leave the converter. Several posts have been made about that and I think even some YouTube videos (I believe Matt of PenHabit talks about it in his review of the pen).

My crisp medium italic Parson's Essential has the smoothest nib possible and holds it own against the best of my buttery smooth vintage nibs.

Slippery smooth and nicely wet. 

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#13 pjford

pjford

Italix at MrPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 14:23

No, they are not made in China

#14 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 1,792 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 14:28

I'll stand by Mr. Ford here. I live in China and buy lots of metal Chinese pens (although, admittedly, not any that cost as much as an Italix pen).

None of them come close to the quality of the Parson's Essential!

#15 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,257 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 19:15

Look, to be even more reductive, most pen bodies are just expensive tubes for cheap converters and plastic feeds and steel/gold nibs. To generalize that some countries are more legit in how they dress up these similar ink delivery systems is mostly facile over generalization or a form of prejudice. For example, if you can't see the difference between an x750 and a Parsons Essential, then of course don't buy the PE. There are others of us who do see and appreciate the quality of the latter over the former. But as always, each consumer gets to decide how to spend her money.

Edited by TSherbs, 05 January 2018 - 19:56.

#16 pjford

pjford

Italix at MrPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:48

Our new pen the 'Deacon's Doodle' is the first Italix pen to made in China (PRC) and the quality is excellent plus we are able to sell it for a very low price. 

#17 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 1,792 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:49

Our new pen the 'Deacon's Doodle' is the first Italix pen to made in China (PRC) and the quality is excellent plus we are able to sell it for a very low price.

I really get a kick out of the church-inspired names.

Edited by TruthPil, 06 January 2018 - 10:50.

#18 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:43

Why does it matter where they are made? The pens are of high quality and the nibs are truly amazing.

Sponsored Content

|