The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Make A Nib More Wet (Help!)

12 replies to this topic

#1 FountainPens4Life

FountainPens4Life

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 13:25

Hi there, 

I recently added a Graf von Faber Castell Guilloche to my collection and I really would like it to write a bit wetter can someone help me 

P.S. I tried to find a Nibmeister to take it to but there aren't any in Greece....

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by FountainPens4Life, 20 December 2017 - 14:00.

Sponsored Content

#2 fpgreeks

fpgreeks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 13:35

hello.  you can try to use a wetter ink to see if this works. if it does not work, watch these videos and make a try to do these. https://www.youtube....h?v=Ig5cTFv4lXo  https://www.youtube....h?v=TWCGAfBeWM4  https://www.youtube....DRr0l3k0&t=280s

καλή τυχη!!! :D

#3 FountainPens4Life

FountainPens4Life

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 13:40

hello.  you can try to use a wetter ink to see if this works. if it does not work, watch these videos and make a try to do these. https://www.youtube....h?v=Ig5cTFv4lXo  https://www.youtube....h?v=TWCGAfBeWM4  https://www.youtube....DRr0l3k0&t=280s

Ευχαριστώ πολύ!

P.S. Ξέρω τον Brown ;)

Edited by FountainPens4Life, 20 December 2017 - 13:42.

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 16:49

Easiest is to use a wetter ink and a better paper.

Do remember it is harder to shove the tines together once you have widened them than it seems.

So be very careful in using just the a 'thought' of width when first using your thumbnails on the shoulders of a nib to widen it.

It is much better to do that a couple of times than one of OPPS!.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#5 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 16:52

I don't think the OP needs an equation! (I did translate it dont worry).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#6 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 19:07

Smear your ink with some Kodak Photoflo 200. Smoothens many pens.

#7 jekostas

jekostas

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 19:38

Hi there, 

I recently added a Graf von Faber Castell Guilloche to my collection and I really would like it to write a bit wetter can someone help me 

P.S. I tried to find a Nibmeister to take it to but there aren't any in Greece....

Thanks in advance! :)

Grip the shoulders of the nib and pull outwards very gently.  It works best if you use your fingernails to grip the nib.

#8 austinwft

austinwft

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:23

I've had pens that were unpleasantly dry to write with using certain inks, inks that performed well in other pens, and these same pens continued to write dry after a bit of nib tweaking, ultrasonic cleaning and use of different converters. What solved my issues with these pens was adding Organics Studio Flo-plus to the troublesome inks.

And boy does it work! My first use of it was about a 1/2% mixture which made a previously unpleasant writing pen and ink combo into an almost unusable wet writer. I now use it at a 1/15-1/20% mixture with excellent results and find it a better option to fiddling with nibs and chasing after a better converter. YMMV

https://vanness1938....ant=32622218374

#9 RedDingo

RedDingo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:59

Don't forget to let us know what you tried and did it work?

#10 ScienTESOL

ScienTESOL

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:12

Don't forget to let us know what you tried and did it work?

Hello Red Dingo

I know this is not the place to reply to your post to me re Parker Challenger (which I was going to attack with a saw), but I cannot find your post so am taking advantage of this happenstance — happily happening on a post from you to which I can reply —  to say thank you so very, very much for the invitation to the meeting in Brisbane, Qld. I live in northern NSW, just a bit too far away from you to be able to zip up for the meeting and get home in the same day (my concern for road safety when I am tired figures in this decision as well).

However, I have recorded the details of the group and the meeting and hope to be able to come to share with you in the not-too-distant future.

Again, thank you very much.

Warm regards and best wishes

Michael (ScienTESOL) 

PS I have been in Sydney, staying with my wife's cousin during a time when her WiFi was not working, so I was not able to reply sooner. Please accept that no discourtesy was intended.

M

#11 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:06

Kodak Photoflo certainly works. I wouldn't meddle with the nib: it is never-ending.

#12 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 17:18

I followed the instructions on the videos, and managed to make a Lamy Vista and a Sailor Pro Gear more wet. The Sailor required very little effort (gold vs steel?), the wetter Lamy made Myosotis appear a lot darker, just right for Kon Peki. A lot of the subtlety is lost for Asa Gao on a wet Platinum Cool, it looks much better on a Pelikan m600 that makes it shade a lot.

I'd managed to bend quite few nibs seemingly beyond repair before this, so I approached it with trepidation, but it's easy if you go deliberately and don't apply too much pressure.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#13 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:42

Opening the tines if too tightly together makes the nib wetter. Flushing the section with lukewarm water mixed with a few drops of liquid dishwasher may also help.

Edited by mitto, 03 February 2018 - 09:44.

Khan

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|