Printing On Tomoe River Paper?

sodiumnitrate

Like many people, I am a huge fan of TR paper. I bought a ream of it from Nanamipaper, and assembled some of it into notebooks. The problem is, my handwriting is abysmally bad when there are no lines or dots to guide me. I was thinking on printing the dots on the paper, somehow. My options are using a laser printer, or to screen print the dots on the paper. The problem with the former is that the paper is very thin and smooth so it will probably jam the printer. Screen printing could be an option, but it would take a long time to print on both sides of hundreds of sheets. Not to mention the possibility of crumpling the paper in the process. Has anybody tried anything like this?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sodiumnitrate

• Intensity

• abstract49

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only printing I've done on TR paper is a few potato prints which were a little wrinkled but kind of nice.

I use a guide sheet with dark lines under the paper. It's easy to see the lines through the TR paper as long as you are using a single sheet.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I've printed on it, through an Epson Photo Printer, with success.

You will need to use a stiff sheet underneath the Tomoe or you'll no doubt jam the machine. With a sheet behind, the printer easily catches the paper and feeds it through without fuss.

Best of luck.

I second the guide sheet, I have had 2 400+ page journals made from TR paper and the guide sheets are the ideal thing to use.

I printed dot grid on about 50 pages of Tomoe River paper using a Brother Ink Jet a couple of years ago. It has a setting to specify the GSM of the paper. Other than a couple of slightly crinkled sheets it worked fine. I haven’t repeated the exercise because I’m too lazy and a guide sheet works fine.

The only printing I've done on TR paper is a few potato prints which were a little wrinkled but kind of nice.

I use a guide sheet with dark lines under the paper. It's easy to see the lines through the TR paper as long as you are using a single sheet.

Yeah, that paper hates water :) I don't feel that comfortable with guide sheets, unfortunately.

I've printed on it, through an Epson Photo Printer, with success.

You will need to use a stiff sheet underneath the Tomoe or you'll no doubt jam the machine. With a sheet behind, the printer easily catches the paper and feeds it through without fuss.

Best of luck.

Alright, thanks for the tips! I have access to a large format Epson Photo printer in our school, which I will utilize after the winter break. Just to make sure -- you just put a stiff sheet to allow the printer to pull the TR paper and nothing else, right? In that case I have to put the sheets in one by one?

A guide sheet would be easier.

Probably, but it annoys me that the guide sheet keeps on slipping and moving.

I second the guide sheet, I have had 2 400+ page journals made from TR paper and the guide sheets are the ideal thing to use.

It's probably easier to use a guide sheet but it annoys me that the guide keeps on moving and slipping, causing my lines to get ruined.

I printed dot grid on about 50 pages of Tomoe River paper using a Brother Ink Jet a couple of years ago. It has a setting to specify the GSM of the paper. Other than a couple of slightly crinkled sheets it worked fine. I haven’t repeated the exercise because I’m too lazy and a guide sheet works fine.

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll see if the printers I have access to have such an option.

Alright, thanks for the tips! I have access to a large format Epson Photo printer in our school, which I will utilize after the winter break. Just to make sure -- you just put a stiff sheet to allow the printer to pull the TR paper and nothing else, right? In that case I have to put the sheets in one by one?

Yes. Paper was too delicate for my printer to handle.

Or, if you want to cut out the middle man, just screw the sheet up and throw it straight in the bin :(

Yes. Paper was too delicate for my printer to handle.

Or, if you want to cut out the middle man, just screw the sheet up and throw it straight in the bin :(

:( I guess I'll try with a few sheets, and if it doesn't work I'll give up.

It's probably easier to use a guide sheet but it annoys me that the guide keeps on moving and slipping, causing my lines to get ruined.

Clipboard?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Guide sheets are a must for me because I use bound journals but I have printed some personal stationery on TR with varying success. A friend's HP laser printer jammed 75% of the time, destroying the paper every jam, and the curved paper path precluded backing sheets. My Epson XP-830, on the other hand, hasn't jammed after 60 pages of TR in two session.

If one printer doesn't work, try another. Good luck.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Guide sheets are a must for me because I use bound journals but I have printed some personal stationery on TR with varying success. A friend's HP laser printer jammed 75% of the time, destroying the paper every jam, and the curved paper path precluded backing sheets. My Epson XP-830, on the other hand, hasn't jammed after 60 pages of TR in two session.

If one printer doesn't work, try another. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips! I have access to three different printers. I'll try them all :)

Guide sheet? Doh! So simple. I’ve been worried about using my next journal. I had to buy a Standard because they ran out of the Writer. Like the OP, I can’t write a straight line.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.