The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hello From Taiwan

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 silverdragonia

silverdragonia

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 16:35

@silverdragonia It doesn't get much more Taiwanese than stinky tofu and oyster omelettes, unless you add in pig blood cake.  Although I've been here for a while, and certainly drive like a local, I'm afraid my culinary tastes don't go in that direction.
As to pens, I bought my first fountain pen two weeks ago.  I'm extremely new to this.  I'm still searching for a second pen for home use, but I don't really see myself becoming a collector.  It's just not in my nature, as evidenced by my wet shaving setup mentioned above. I usually just go for one of any given item, unless I can see the need for a second one.  I only recently heard about that store in Taipei, and it was when I was researching my Pilot Metropolitan.  (Interestingly, it was lurking on this very forum where I heard about that shop: http://www.fountainp...shop-in-taipei/). I can certainly see myself paying it a visit next time I'm in Taipei, though.

I know plenty of Taiwanese people who don't eat that kind of stuff - there's plenty of other food to eat :)

I don't collect pens either, but I have a lot of fun trying new pens and ink. I've been using FPs for about 3 years and own a handful of pens and too much ink. I don't really shop for FPs off the internet - I can't commit unless I've seen and tested the pen in person especially at some of these price points. If you do make it to the Taiwan shop, try out as many pens as you can :D Enjoy!

Sponsored Content

#22 SlowRain

SlowRain

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:22

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm looking at getting a second pen for home use, but one of my options is only available online. It gets good reviews, but I'm reluctant to buy it because I'm not 100% sure how it will feel in my hand. I'm still considering what to get.

You asked earlier about fountain pen shops in Taichung. I've found about half a dozen, mostly through Google Maps, but some were recommended. It seems the Taiwanese put more emphasis on the pen and less on the ink and paper. (There is one shop, however--called Still Light--that has a massive amount of ink. It actually combines a coffee shop and fountain-pen shop under one roof.) Japanese and European brands do well here for pens & ink, but the paper is mostly Japanese. It's almost impossible to get Noodler's inks here.

#23 SlowRain

SlowRain

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 23:39

Here are some pictures of that coffee shop/fountain-pen store I mentioned.  It's called Still Light (覓靜拾光; Be Still, Seek Light).  It easily has the widest selection of inks I've seen in Taichung so far, but no Noodler's.  Unfortunately, the coffee and other drinks are merely okay.

615a13f74d1cdade.jpg

52209f8b5b8c00d3.jpg

3356e712803d94b6.jpg

Edited by SlowRain, 25 December 2017 - 04:59.

#24 silverdragonia

silverdragonia

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:55

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool. The space seems well lit and the idea of a cafe is awesome- it's just such a pity that the coffee and drinks are just okay. There's only one shop that I know of that is local to me and it's (in my opinion) not as inviting as this place seems from your photo (mine is much less natural light, glass cases, speak to an associate to try anything- aka intimidating for a pen noob such as myself).

I see so many collectors and my question is always, 'how do you know what to purchase?' I'm surprised at how many replies I get saying, 'if looks good online.' I feel like pens are such personal items, and they get extremely pricey, I just can't do it. I'm excited  though, I'm going to my first pen show/convention in a few weeks- I'm hoping to learn more about what I want in a pen and try all the (cross-contaminated) inks.

#25 SlowRain

SlowRain

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:22

I think the pen show will be great to get an idea of how the girth and weight of pens feel in your hand.  That's equally as important as the nib and relative wetness/dryness.  I'm not a fan of buy it and sell it if you don't like it.  

Will you be posting your thoughts and discoveries about the pen show anywhere?

#26 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:54

Welcome!  Glad you are with us!

Plan purposefully, prepare prayerfully, proceed positively, pursue persistently.
W.Ward

#27 silverdragonia

silverdragonia

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 16:53

I think the pen show will be great to get an idea of how the girth and weight of pens feel in your hand.  That's equally as important as the nib and relative wetness/dryness.  I'm not a fan of buy it and sell it if you don't like it.  

Will you be posting your thoughts and discoveries about the pen show anywhere?

I agree, I'm really looking forward to the pen show. There's an active forum under the clubs, meetings, and events tab under 2018 Philly Pen Show- I'll probably post in there after the show. I'm taking a workshop and I'm hoping to try some vintage pens, maybe pick up an Esterbrook :)

Sponsored Content

|