Lamy 2018 Special Edition Colours Leaked

lamanorbu

Hi there Glenn-SC,

I'm not sure what you're question "Really?" refers to above, but since you've quoted the comment I posted a few hours ago, I'm going to assume you're curious about what I said.

Dennis,

My comment was directed to Astron who categorically denied that Lamy ever made a matte black Safari 2-1/2 hours and just 2 posts after you had stated that you have one. Just as I do.

If I ever get a photo hosting site working again I will post some of my black Lamys.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• Intensity

• ParkerDuofold

• Glenn-SC

Dennis,

My comment was directed to Astron who categorically denied that Lamy ever made a matte black Safari 2-1/2 hours and just 2 posts after you had stated that you have one. Just as I do.

If I ever get a photo hosting site working again I will post some of my black Lamys.

Hi Glenn

I know, you didn't ask me, but let me explain somthing.When Lamy introduced the Charcoal in 1984, they called it "Umbra" for the German market. Charcoal is the designation for the international market and I don't know when it was introduced.

29455088282_623aa68d7d_o.jpg

And Umbra is a German term for a color range of dark brown earthy color shades.

Of course, the charcoal is not really brown. I would rather call it a warm black, and the term charcoal is probably much closer to the real color than the term Umbra. But if you compare your charcoal with a true black pen in daylight, you will see that the charcoal is a tint warmer than the black one.

C.

Edited by christof

And Umbra is a German term for a color range of dark brown earthy color shades.

Of course, the charcoal is not really brown. I would rather call it a warm black, and the term charcoal is probably much closer to the real color than the term Umbra. But if you compare your charcoal with a true black pen in daylight, you will see that the charcoal is a tint warmer than the black one.

C.

Hi everyone,

I'm not going to disagree with Christof in the matter of Lamy pens. At all. Having followed many of his posts, and knowing what I know about his Lamy collection, as far as I'm concerned, Christof is the authority on this matter.

Having said that, those Toronto pens are decidely not just a "warmer" grey, but an actual brown tint. And once you see the brown, it's hard not to see it again. The first time I saw it I thought I was suffering from some sort of lighting/vision issue. But when I pointed it out to the shop-keeper, he saw the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a "dark brown" pen, nor is it as obviously brown as those "Lamy-Line" pens (the ones with the bear attached to the clip). But it isn't charcoal. It's a dark brown-grey.

Again, perhaps this is some sort of fluke. The fact that only Prashant, who is in India, is claiming that there are "browner" Safaris floating around, makes me think that this is, in fact, a dye-batch fluke. In fact, I would have kept all of this to myself if Prashant hadn't made a similar observation. I imagine that if Prashant and I aren't seeing things, there is a contingent of slightly off-colour safaris floating around out there.

Sadly, I'm not in Toronto over the holidays, and I leave town on business right after the new year. But the next time I get to TO, I'll see if I can't get a comparison photo of the the older and the newer pens side by side. Phone cameras being what they are, and the fact that both pens are almost black, I hope that any photos will show the difference.

I apologize if my comments derailed the conversation about the new pens. I just post this info as a curiousity and to back up both Prashant's claim in post 28 about the browner shade, and Glenn-SC's follow-up that his pen is definitely not a brown.

D.

I don't know when I got my Charcoal Safari, but it has been quite a while. 20 years?

I compared the color of my Charcoal (which is matte) and my gloss black Safaris.

There is no 'brown" color that I see in the plastic of my charcoal pen.

Just comparing matte surface to the gloss surfaces, the matte looks "lighter" (gray?) than the black. Probably the reflection of the facets of the matte surface finish.

Then I noticed that the center of the end of the gloss black barrel and cap are both "frosted" so as to have a matte finish!

The barrel/cap surface of the Charcoal color pen looks to be the same color as the "frosted" centers of the gloss pen cap and barrel.

So, unless the barrel and cap of the gloss black pen have inserts that are a different color than the remainder of the barrel/cap, then the charcoal pen used the same black plastic as the gloss black pen, but got a frosted surface finish in contrast to a gloss surface finish.

The frosted surface finish looks gray and the gloss (polished) surface looks black.

I don't know about you guys,... but I'm waiting for Autumn Beige or Candy Apple Gray... with black trim.

Dennis, I believe you about the brown tinged charcoal Safari... probably just an off batch... QC at Lamy isn't what it used to be and I doubt they would jettison a production run just because the color was a little off.

- Anthony

I don't know about you guys,... but I'm waiting for Autumn Beige or Candy Apple Gray... with black trim.

Dennis, I believe you about the brown tinged charcoal Safari... probably just an off batch... QC at Lamy isn't what it used to be and I doubt they would jettison a production run just because the color was a little off.

- Anthony

My thoughts exactly (about the colour being an off-batch).

As for personal dream versions of ltd edition safaris: I wish they'd bring back some of the yellow and red-clipped pens. And a reboot of the classic "blue/violet" al-star from about 20 years ago would be great too (somehow I missed getting one at the time).

D.

I'm over Lamy. I have one safari left, and I don't use it. Wife likes it, but she doesn't use fps often.

I'm actually not a big fan of using my Safari and LX/Al-Star pens, but it's hard to beat the convenience of swapping nibs easily. Otherwise I prefer other pens for the writing experience. The Lamy fun for me is the colors, the ink windows, and the swappable nibs.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I don't know when I got my Charcoal Safari, but it has been quite a while. 20 years?

I compared the color of my Charcoal (which is matte) and my gloss black Safaris.

There is no 'brown" color that I see in the plastic of my charcoal pen.

Just comparing matte surface to the gloss surfaces, the matte looks "lighter" (gray?) than the black. Probably the reflection of the facets of the matte surface finish.

Then I noticed that the center of the end of the gloss black barrel and cap are both "frosted" so as to have a matte finish!

The barrel/cap surface of the Charcoal color pen looks to be the same color as the "frosted" centers of the gloss pen cap and barrel.

So, unless the barrel and cap of the gloss black pen have inserts that are a different color than the remainder of the barrel/cap, then the charcoal pen used the same black plastic as the gloss black pen, but got a frosted surface finish in contrast to a gloss surface finish.

The frosted surface finish looks gray and the gloss (polished) surface looks black.

You should take photos and post them. If they used the wrong recipe or color for the plastic your pen might be part of a very special batch.

30yrs old vs 2 yrs old in the attachment. Clearly the same color. The old one has just been polished over the years.

post-133810-0-74217500-1514022325_thumb.jpg

The top pen seems lighter, beyond the difference in texture.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I think that could be an illusion due to the texture. But the old one has more metal parts, clip plus real bronze screw. Hard to say which one is really lighter. And I know that they changed the inner structure of the barrel. So the new Safari is probably indeed lighter either way although the dimensions are the same.

Maybe someone else knows more.

Wasn't fascinated by the offerings, except for the very issue Glenn brings up.

Wondered if Lamy developed a dense absence of color black that equaled the black clip. The clip on my Umbra is easily glossy "absence of color" Black on a matte dark charcoal gray, that is just on the warm side, (not brown), a few shade steps above black. I also have the matte Line brown. There's no mistaking this bear brown for anything but brown. Safari Griso-gray is quite light - closer to Alpin white than charcoal.

My thought was Lamy was at last adding a true matte black in Safari for a full representation of matte-black throughout their products. (???)

They have done close color shifts in the past, like yellows.

Several have noted that after heavy use the matte surface wears a bit. Mine still looks unused. Probably best seen in wear of the first two, S Green T Rot.

Just some less than imaginative marketing. Reminds me of the "olive silver" term for a brushed aluminum look on the Aion. And what was the 2K LE called? Not a "wow" moment for me.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I'm over Lamy. I have one safari left, and I don't use it. Wife likes it, but she doesn't use fps often.

I’m not; I enjoy my alstars tremendously and I have three or five too many.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I don't use my Safari right now since I don't like to have more than 2 pens inked at a time, but I really like having it just in case. It's not the most comfortable pen I have, but it fits more securely and holds itself more effortlessly in my hand than most pens I have tried, and it's very reliable.

I think I'm going to get the pink one, based on the picture that GPC posted!

(But I'm liable to change my mind,:-)

Rosendust

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_