Lamy 2018 Special Edition Colours Leaked

lamanorbu

That's true,... let's hope they don't run out of the LE Black before everyone has a fighting chance to get it.

- Anthony

LOL!!!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• Intensity

• ParkerDuofold

• Glenn-SC

This is a huge disappointment. Though I've been thinking about a black Safari (either glossy or the Charcoal/Umbra) for a while, so maybe I might get the all-black LE.

I'm personally very excited about the Al-Star in Vibrant Pink! Photos from Goulet Pen Company:

https://www.gouletpens.com/lamy-al-star-fountain-pen-vibrantpink-medium-special-edition/p/LMY-L99M

I know I'll definitely get one.

All-black Safari: meh... Boring for a special edition pen. Should be a standard edition pen (and can be if you just put on one of the black nibs).

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

All-black Safari: meh... Boring for a special edition pen. Should be a standard edition pen (and can be if you just put on one of the black nibs).

It's matte. So, a black nib won't change a black Safari into a LE.

What might the LE ink be? :lol:

And for the Al-Star? Will they just repack the Coral ink? :D

Edited by Astron

It's matte. So, a black nib won't change a black Safari into a LE.

What might the LE ink be? :lol:

And for the Al-Star? Will they just repack the Coral ink? :D

Yeah, but I mean it's still not a very exciting "special edition" if all that happens is the swapping of a black nib (already available to buy) and change to matte texture. And--personal opinion--all Safari pens look better matte as default :)

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

The pen labeled as "All Black" appears to be just the "Charcoal" version of the Safari.

Matt black barrel and cap.

Black clip.

Black nib.

Charcoal aka Umbra is not matte black. It's dark brown in colour.

Charcoal aka Umbra is not matte black. It's dark brown in colour.

Well I have a matte black Safari with black nib and black clip.

Most definitely NOT brown in any way, shape, or form.

Every search I run for "charcoal Safari" show black, not brown, plastic.

Is say mine was more of a dark grey...

Unlikely. Such Safari didn't exist yet. Maybe you got some fake from China. The Umbra is not black for healthy eyes.

This picture is a good represantation of the Umbra. You can see the black clip, ring and nib. You might see the box is much more black than the pen. There hasn't been another matte, dark Safari other than this.

Copyright_Choosing_Keeping_10436_1024x10

Edited by Astron

I kind of like the matte black, but i do think that this should be a regular option as there is not a lot of matte and not only a special edition.

Regarding the matte black "charcoal vs dark brown" discussion above, I'll add this. I have a matte black Safari from approx 1998. I recently wanted to pick up a new one, but all of the ones I'm finding are indeed tinted slightly towards a brown-grey. It's quite obvious when you hold the old ones up to the new ones.

I've asked dealers around Toronto (where I'm based) if Lamy has specifically mentioned that they changed the "matte black/charcoal/umbra" at some point in the past few years, and all have responded that there's been no official word. But no one can deny that when you hold an old Matte Safari up to a new one, the new ones definitely tend towards brown.

When I first saw this thread the first thing I thought was "Wow, maybe they're actually bringing back the charcoal version of the pen!"

I don't know if the change to the colour was official, or the result of a bad colour batch/new recipe, or if it's widespread, but all of the charcoal safaris that I've seen around Toronto over the past 12 months have been this new, less attractive shade: not quite brown -- which might be nice -- but definitely more brown than grey/black/umbra. Just close enough to look like a bad knock-off, or a mistake.

D

Unlikely. Such Safari didn't exist yet. Maybe you got some fake from China. The Umbra is not black for healthy eyes.

So you insult me, claim my pen is fake and that I have "sick" eyesight!

Thanks, very nice.

My pen is original Lamy and has no hint of "brown" in it at all.

And yes, I can see the difference between black and brown.

Edited by Glenn-SC

So you insult me, claim my pen is fake and that I have "sick" eyesight!

Thanks, very nice.

My pen is original Lamy and has no hint of "brown" in it at all.

And yes, I can see the difference between black and brown.

It overdramatizing. It's not meant to insult you. It entertains the reader.

And I didn't know that taking in consideration that someone might got a fake is an insult too. Then there are lot of insulting threads here. Peolpe are constantly suggesting one got a fake.

Still no matte, black Safari in the past.

Regarding the matte black "charcoal vs dark brown" discussion above, I'll add this. I have a matte black Safari from approx 1998.

I've asked dealers around Toronto (where I'm based) if Lamy has specifically mentioned that they changed the "matte black/charcoal/umbra" at some point in the past few years, and all have responded that there's been no official word. But no one can deny that when you hold an old Matte Safari up to a new one, the new ones definitely tend towards brown.

Still no matte, black Safari in the past.

Really?

Really?

Hi there Glenn-SC,

I'm not sure what you're question "Really?" refers to above, but since you've quoted the comment I posted a few hours ago, I'm going to assume you're curious about what I said.

Yes, the Safaris I've seen around Toronto in 2017 are definitely a browner shade of grey than previous Matte black Safaris. I first noticed it this summer at a shop downtown, and the owner of the shop told me "no, this is definitely the same colour as they've always been".

So I returned three weeks later with a co-worker, who brought along his Safari bought around 2010, and I had my Safari bought around 2000, and we held both of them up the pen this dealer was selling and the new pen was definitely a browner shade of grey.

This dealer is authorized to sell Lamy, and he's reputable, so we're fairly certain he was not unknowingly selling fake pens.

In any case, over the next two months I visited three other, sorry four other, stores in Toronto, and two more outside of Toronto, and I had my older Safari in tow, and the new pens were all that dreaded browner shade.

Again, I don't know if this is an issue limited to pens shipped to this part of the country over the past few months, or if it was a colour-batch issue, but it is definitely an obvious change to the colour found on older Safaris.

Hi Dennis, et al,

I wonder if it's the same situation here in the U.S.? :unsure:

I would think so,... I cannot imagine Lamy going through the hassle of making separate batches for the U.S. market.

Anyone else here pick up a charcoal Safari lately? Whatdya' think of its color? :unsure:

- Anthony

Hi Dennis, et al,

I wonder if it's the same situation here in the U.S.? :unsure:

I would think so,... I cannot imagine Lamy going through the hassle of making separate batches for the U.S. market.

Anyone else here pick up a charcoal Safari lately? Whatdya' think of its color? :unsure:

- Anthony

I remember several years ago, someone had what I think was a Charcoal Safari at a pen club meeting. Mostly, what I remember was thinking I wasn't sure I could get used to the grip (well, obviously that has changed :rolleyes:). But I *also* remember that the color was decidedly grey -- a dark grey, to be sure, but definitely grey. Not "off-black", and not what people are describing as being "brownish-grey".

The "new" pen doesn't wow me. Whether I actually decide I like the new al-Star color remains to be seen -- although when I considered actually getting either one of those or a Safari, I thought that the machining on the grip made the metal edges seem really sharp (sharp enough to be really uncomfortable for me to hold the pen and maybe even to the point of getting cut on it -- as opposed to when I tried that Charcoal Safari that time, when I just thought the grip was awkward...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I remember several years ago, someone had what I think was a Charcoal Safari at a pen club meeting. Mostly, what I remember was thinking I wasn't sure I could get used to the grip (well, obviously that has changed :rolleyes:). But I *also* remember that the color was decidedly grey -- a dark grey, to be sure, but definitely grey. Not "off-black", and not what people are describing as being "brownish-grey".

The "new" pen doesn't wow me. Whether I actually decide I like the new al-Star color remains to be seen -- although when I considered actually getting either one of those or a Safari, I thought that the machining on the grip made the metal edges seem really sharp (sharp enough to be really uncomfortable for me to hold the pen and maybe even to the point of getting cut on it -- as opposed to when I tried that Charcoal Safari that time, when I just thought the grip was awkward...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Both grips are plastic: on the Safari and Al-Star, so you don't really hold the metal. Neither my LX nor Coffee Al-Star have any sharp edges that are uncomfortable to touch otherwise. Appearance-wise, I prefer LX and Al-Star, simply because I love the sheen and vividness of color on anodized aluminum. But from the use standpoint, I prefer my matte texture grip of Safari Petrol to the smooth translucent plastic of Al-Star/LX. I also like that Safari has a smaller diameter molded cap, as opposed to the larger aluminum cap on Al-Star/LX.