The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help With Clips

clip repair tarnish brassing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 16:48

Hello all.

I have a couple of pens with clip damage. I'm aiming to keep them both, so I'm not too concerned, but I was just wondering what I might be able to do.

I have a lovely red Eagle Prince at last. I've been trying to score one of these for ages, and while they come up fairly often on eBay in the States, they're pretty hard to get for a reasonable price in the UK. I assume the clip has lost its gilt, and I think it looks quite nice actually, as it's a lovely near-black tarnish, with the remains of the gilt on the imprint. What I was wondering with this one is what the base metal is, and will it deteriorate if I leave it untouched?

The other is an Osmiroid, which has lost a big chunk of chrome (?) or whatever its plating is. This one is obviously not such a good look, and already rusting, so what can be done about this?

Cheers!

Eagle Osmiroid Caps.JPG

Hi, I'm Mat

:)  

Sponsored Content

#2 Hardy08

Hardy08

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 13:38

Replating with chrome is difficult.
I have problems with rusted clips underneath the chrome plating, I first removed the rust with fine sand paper (up to 3000 grit). I then plated the clip with silver (you find kits on the internet for around 20 euros). The results were good : no more rusting of the clip. The drawback was that silver tarnishes and sometimes requires polishing to restore shine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clip, repair, tarnish, brassing

Sponsored Content

|