A Good Black Ink In India.

SanthoshRam

Is there any good black ink available in India? I have used bril black, it writes in a dark grey shade so i didn't like it. I also tried parker black, the colour is a saturated dark black but the ink does not flow properly. I tried parker black in a parker frontier pen, if i don't use it continuously for even 30 hrs it dries up and getting the pen to start is very tough. I want to know if this may be because of any batch variation and only i am affected. Kindly suggest a good black ink. Im studying in Kharagpur(WB) and want to know the availability of sulekha inks in the region.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• RohanOrhanHaron

• SanthoshRam

• nmp

Sheaffer Skrip Black and Waterman intense black are good black inks available in India. But are a bit expensive than the ones you have mentioned.

Parker Quink Black used to be pretty good when I was a student some 20yrs back, Bril was a close second. No other India manufactured black was ever satisfactory for me. Try the Quink black on some other pen to see if the dryout persists. Usually dryouts are attributed to vented caps. Pilot black is another dark ink available on amazon India but very pricey.

A very good black is Pelikan 4001 black. I buy this ink in 1 litre bottles!. This should be available in Calcutta, not sure about kgp. This also comes in 30ml and 62.5ml bottles.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Parker Quink Black used to be pretty good when I was a student some 20yrs back, Bril was a close second. No other India manufactured black was ever satisfactory for me. Try the Quink black on some other pen to see if the dryout persists. Usually dryouts are attributed to vented caps. Pilot black is another dark ink available on amazon India but very pricey.

A very good black is Pelikan 4001 black. I buy this ink in 1 litre bottles!. This should be available in Calcutta, not sure about kgp. This also comes in 30ml and 62.5ml bottles.

I have tried Quink black in some other low cost Indian pens the problem was much worse in them. The pen wrote only on the day when i inked it up. Thank you for the suggestion. I will buy sulekha ink when I go to Kolkata.

I have tried Quink black in some other low cost Indian pens the problem was much worse in them. The pen wrote only on the day when i inked it up. Thank you for the suggestion. I will buy sulekha ink when I go to Kolkata.

Maybe the present quink black is not good. Who knows. Ink formulation changes.

Good luck with Sulekha. The only Sulekha that I liked was Moss green, rest were all pretty ordinary iirc. Someone from Kolkata gave me all the colors several years back.

I suggested Pelikan, if you can find it and price you find tolerable, try it.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Try Datone calligraphy black.(it's perfect for fountain pens, isn't a true calligraphy ink) It spreads more on JK Cedar and paper one without feathering, but it's fine. It also stains a bit.

Try Datone calligraphy black.(it's perfect for fountain pens, isn't a true calligraphy ink) It spreads more on JK Cedar and paper one without feathering, but it's fine. It also stains a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any good black ink available in India? I have used bril black, it writes in a dark grey shade so i didn't like it. I also tried parker black, the colour is a saturated dark black but the ink does not flow properly. I tried parker black in a parker frontier pen, if i don't use it continuously for even 30 hrs it dries up and getting the pen to start is very tough. I want to know if this may be because of any batch variation and only i am affected. Kindly suggest a good black ink. Im studying in Kharagpur(WB) and want to know the availability of sulekha inks in the region.

I would suggest Diamine Jet Black.... its available on pensavenue

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 3 months later...

Hello SanthoshRam,

Perhaps a bit late, but if you are OK with international cartridges, go for schneider. Its wet, dark, and reasonably quick drying. It's also rather cheap (6 shortcartridges for INR 20). I got a Feb 2018 batch, and am very pleased with it. It has good water resistance too.

Best,

Addenda:

1. It is available on the big river's india website

2. If it was available in bottle, at prices reduced appropriately, i would have without hesitation recommended it. however, last I checked, they were not, so this is kind of moot.

• 11 months later...

@ SantoshRam

I am using Camlin black and Bril black. Both on greyish side, but when I ink my Sultan pen (Ambitious nib) with them, these inks become darker... I may be wrong, but I think nibs and feeds are also have something to do with the colour of the ink...

I would suggest either Herbin's Perle Noire or Waterman Black, either bottled or cartridge I've always had excellent results with both. Waterman is the less expensive but Herbin also comes in 100ml bottles which you can sometimes get at a good price.

Al