The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mini Review Of Hero 443 Pen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 23:25

The FPN search function has not been working for me recently so I apologize if this should have been a comment added to an earlier review.

This is a shiny metal exterior ("flighter") pen for $1.69 on eBay USA (or less than #1 each in lots of 10).  Perhaps its main claim to fame is a spring loaded pocket clip that can open up to about half an inch (1.3cm) which should handle any jeans and probably most any parka.  It's light for a metal pen. The exterior is somewhat shiny metal with patterns of six fine grooves alternating with ungrooved territory along most of its length.  This reminded me of the caps on the early Sheaffer Dollar Pens and the hoods of Pontiac automobiles c.1950.  Other 443s were available with plastic bodies in several colors.  My metal one looks as though it might have started life shiny but now is a bit distressed.  The finish seems dulled with hints of black and brown, almost as though it had been heated in an oven.  Mine was sold as "new" but it looks like Chinese pens of the 1990s, and one online source said these were made in the 1970s.  The odd exterior appearance may be the result of years in storage.

Inside the section is very plain -- just a tapered black cylinder.  At the end is a trim ring that also looks very "last century China" and appears to be steel.  It looks like the section of the Hero 50.  The nib, though, is unusual.  It looks like the blade of a knife or spear, and is quite flat in cross-section.  It too is very plain -- a barely visible slit and a few Chinese characters inconspicuously up near the section.  Upstream is a large Aerometic-style filler that does NOT appear removable for use with cartridges. 

The nib on my example was a very toothy (but not scratchy) F to XF with some flex. This too reminded me of the Hero 50.   Right after filling, it was burping and much too wet.  Five days later it started immediately and was not overly wet nor burping. 

This could pass for a high class pen handed down from your grandfather.  The gaping clip will appeal to some while the feel of the nib might prove more controversial.  It is certainly handsome in a very understated way and perfectly serviceable.   I have not tried polishing it up.

Sponsored Content

#2 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:21

I used this as my everyday carry pen for a couple of weeks -- until I used up the initial filling of ink.  It performed very well -- always starting, laying down a wet line, and not burping.  However, as the ink level approached empty, it did begin to show extra ink on nib and section, though not on paper.   Perhaps the metal parts conduct the heat of one's hand, expanding all that air in the nearly empty cartridge.  There are many good pens under $2US on eBay.   This one is a contender if its assortment of pluses and minuses matches your taste. 

Sponsored Content

|