Fabriano Paper

PenInkPaperDraw

Hi, just discovered Fabriano Paper. From the looks of it it's a nice paper. Made in italy , 85g/m2. Was wondering if anyone else would of tried it. What's you thoughts and comparison with Rhodia or other papers. Trying to find the paper i would like the most so opinion on comparison are always welcome, especially from people that have tried more than i did.

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenInkPaperDraw

• inkypete

• inkstainedruth

• 77kath

It is a nice paper. I get it from art supply dealers (Cheap Joe or Dick Blick, for example—no affiliation with either). They have writing paper as well as notebooks. Their sketchbooks are OK, too.

This is the normal Fabriano paper. There is a new, exclusive line that I haven't tried. I’m not even sure where to get that.

I have a notebook (almost empty) of the Fabriano EcoQua paper. According to their website it is "Produced with 100% of T.C.F. (Totally Chlorine Free) and F.S.C. certified cellulose pulp issued from forests managed according to strict environmental standards."

I really like it. Fountain pens write a clean line and write smooth. And the paper is not overly coated like Rhodia or Clairefontaine, which I also like but admit have issues with dry time and smearing. That's less of a problem with the Fabriano.

The notebook is glue-bound, so pages pull out easily. I use it as stationery for letter writing. It has a subtle dot grid that makes it easy to line up writing on the page.

It's easily found at the local Blick Art and other art supply stores. One of the local independent stationery/office-supply places carries it too.

Thanks for the heads up about EcoQua paper. There's a Dick Blick store that opened within the past year here in Pittsburgh, just a couple of blocks from a couple of stationers that sell some pens and inks (and I was planning to go down to that neighborhood sometime this week to look for Christmas presents for a couple of people).

As for Fabriano paper in general, I think that's what's in some handmade books we commissioned from a friend of ours a few years ago. She was a calligrapher and illuminator, and I knew I could talk to her about having paper that was FP friendly; she said she was using paper someone else had recommended, and while the other person didn't do scribal stuff, I'm pretty sure that the "Italian" paper she recommended was Fabriano.

The one thing I don't overly like is that it's a laid paper and you have all the lines from the screen. But it's very nice paper to write on and I haven't seen a lot of bleedthrough or anything like that. Mind you, one of the books was a sign-in book for well-wishers, and I had four Parker Vectors -- each set up with a different color of IG ink -- for people to use.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am currently journaling in a Fabriano EcoQua staple bound graph ruled A4 notebook. I have journaled in Rhodia Webnotebooks, Quo Vadis Habana, Nanami Seven Seas, Clairefontaine, Leuchttrum, TWSBI, and Midori notebooks as well. They each have their high and low points. The Fabriano paper is closest in feel to the Midori, more texture than the smoother Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Quo Vadis, less texture and less feathering, ghosting, and bleed through than the TWSBI and Leuchttrum. I also have several other notebooks, Apica, Red and Black, and a Hippo waiting for their turns. The Fabriano paper works well with all of my nibs from EF to 1.5 mm stub. I do catch a bit using Zebra G dip nibs, but that may be more about me than the paper.

As a general rumle Fabriano is like any other paper in terms of FP friendliness. Some of their paper is extremely good, but some not so good. Also depends how fussy you are - i am extremely fussy. Like any paper try before you buy and, if you love it, stock up. Fabriano is a very respected mill and I use their mediovalis range of card stock and envelopes as my general greeting cards. Beautiful card stock. But it still comes back to what stock you buy and how it works for you.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I have some Fabriano Eqo Qua and some Traccia, both are nice; Rhodia, Clairefontaine and Tomoe River are smoother and ink takes longer to dry with them.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Well, I ran into the local Dick Blick store today, and picked up an EcoQua notebook with dot grid paper. So I'll see how the paper does. Not super cheap for the # of pages, if you want to keeping a journal for any length of time, but to try it only cost me $6.37 for one that is 90 sheets of A5 paper.

On the inside back cover it says that the pages are "made of ecological paper Bioprima 85 g/m2" and that it was "produced with 100% T.C.F. (Totally Chlorine Free) and F.S.C. certified cellulose pulp issued from forests managed according to strict environmental standards. Bioprima is an Acid Free paper with alkaline reserve to guarantee long life."

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I ran into the local Dick Blick store today, and picked up an EcoQua notebook with dot grid paper. So I'll see how the paper does. Not super cheap for the # of pages, if you want to keeping a journal for any length of time, but to try it only cost me $6.37 for one that is 90 sheets of A5 paper.

On the inside back cover it says that the pages are "made of ecological paper Bioprima 85 g/m2" and that it was "produced with 100% T.C.F. (Totally Chlorine Free) and F.S.C. certified cellulose pulp issued from forests managed according to strict environmental standards. Bioprima is an Acid Free paper with alkaline reserve to guarantee long life."

I look forward to your report.
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Hi, just discovered Fabriano Paper. From the looks of it it's a nice paper. Made in italy , 85g/m2. Was wondering if anyone else would of tried it. What's you thoughts and comparison with Rhodia or other papers. Trying to find the paper i would like the most so opinion on comparison are always welcome, especially from people that have tried more than i did.

Thanks.

Have you done a search on the Pen & Paper Review sub-forum ?

Lots of info out there.

High chance you will find the answers you are looking for... :)

It just takes time

but which can be cut short by ' sharpening ' your queries :D

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Have you done a search on the Pen & Paper Review sub-forum ?

Lots of info out there.

High chance you will find the answers you are looking for... :)

It just takes time

but which can be cut short by ' sharpening ' your queries :D

I had done an initial search and look true but hadn't found anything. Might of been my eyes that where getting tired. I did find this time your wonderful review of the specific pad i was looking at. Thanks it's very well made i i enjoyed reading it.

Thanks to everyone that added some comments. I now own an A5 Fabriano notepad.