Where To Buy A Restored Parker 51?

Blueberry567

Hello, I would like to a have a durable and sturdy pen for high school. Doing some research, I found that the P51 is considered to be the perfect work pen. So any recommendations for what model to get and why? Aero vs vac etc. Also where about can I get one a restored one for a reasonable price (About £120 give or take)

Thanks

D. Laverty

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• inkstainedruth

• pajaro

• bigt

Top Posters In This Topic

The advantage of an Aerometric model over a 51 Vac is that the Aero is more likely to not need any sort of servicing, other than just flushing it out well (check out the pinned thread about finding your first 51 in the wild).

I've gotten my 51s (both Aeros and 51 Vacs) various places -- pen shows, antiques stores, and even eBay (although you do have to make sure to ask a lot of questions about the condition, and look at the photos, and such). And depending on what you want as far as colors and nib widths, you are likely to find one well within your budgeted price, if you don't want one in "minty-minty" condition, or an exotic color like Mustard (or was that just a 51 Vac color? I forget...).

I got fairly lucky on my Plummer (Plum being one of the rare colors -- it was only made for the 1948-49 model year) several years ago, because it was "user grade" and a Demi size (but boy did I sweat out the hours, fully expecting to be completely outbid) on eBay. And the most *I've* ever paid was about $120 (including the buyers' premium) for an English-made Navy Grey Aerometric with an OB nib, last summer at the Triangle Pen Show (ugly color, but I was bidding on it mostly for the nib). The only color to be really careful of is Cocoa, because apparently that color had a tendency to crack. And of course the rarer colors are going to fetch premium prices with collectors.

I think there are threads in the Parker forum which discuss which colors are more common, but off the top of my head I'd say that for the Aerometric model Black, Burgundy (but not Burgundy Red, aka "British Bloody Burgundy") and maybe Teal are the easiest ones to find. (My first one was a Teal Aero with a gold-filled cap). [Just for the record I have Teal, Black, Burgundy (a late MkII from the early 1960s), Plum, Midnight Blue, and Navy Gray in the Aerometrics, and Black and a couple of Cedar Blue -- one with a gold-filled cap; plus a Burgundy 51 Special, a red (Burgundy?) 21, and a turquoise 41. About half of the pens have F nibs -- besides the OB nib on the Navy Gray, the Plummer (and possibly the Midnight Blue) has an M nib, and the black Aero and one of the Cedar Blues are EFs.]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, I am not aware of the Cocoa color 51 having a tendecy to crack. Aren't all the colors made of the same material? Anyhow I have a few 51s in cocoa colors and they look beautiful. I have the cocoa in two shades. A dark and a lighter. The darker one kinda give you the impression it was sort of a coffee color.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Peyton Street Pens.

It will *not* be rock bottom price like you might get on eBay, but you can rest assured that the pen is going to be reliable and fully restored.

If you decide to go with eBay, use an established seller, such as tbickii or cheepjeep (no affiliation, only a repeat customer of both).

-k

Ruth, I am not aware of the Cocoa color 51 having a tendecy to crack. Aren't all the colors made of the same material? Anyhow I have a few 51s in cocoa clors and they look beautiful. I have the cocoa in two shades. A dark and a lighter. The darker one kinda give you the impression it was sort of a coffee color.

There were some discussion about the Cocoa barrels on here several years ago. I don't recall the issues but it was something about that batch of Lucite not being as stable a material.

I did see one about a year ago at an antiques fair, and the crack in the barrel was pretty substantial -- about an inch long, and across the threading. The pen was pretty cheap (IIRC it was only $25 US) but I have no idea how expensive the repairs would have been -- and I was sufficiently under enamored of the color that I doubt I would have bought it even it had been in good shape.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Peyton Street Pens.

It will *not* be rock bottom price like you might get on eBay, but you can rest assured that the pen is going to be reliable and fully restored.

I agree with this assessment. I have bought a number of pens from Teri Morris and have found her to be both communicative and trustworthy.

I have not observed Cocoa barrels cracking more than other Aero 51 barrels.

Buckskin and Yellowstone barrels do seem to be more prone to crazing and cracks when compared to the other Vac colors.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Cocoa is a sexy color. My demi cocoa set has served me a good many years. No problems with it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'm only reporting what I've read about Cocoa in other posts. And the only 51 I've seen that was in that bad a shape was the one at the antiques fair. It could be that most batches were good, and there was only one batch that Parker got that was problematic, because the threads were from several years ago. I'll try to dig up the old thread(s) and post the link.

I do recall it being said to be one of the rarer colors, and I think the cracking issues reported was one of the reasons given for why it's less common. Personally, I didn't care for the color all that much -- the pen I saw was a sort of pinkish tan color.

Now, Plum, OTOH -- Plum is sexy.... B)

ETA: Okay, I've found this thread, where someone reports having 3 Cocoa 51s with barrel cracks: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/230568-p51-with-a-cracked-cocoa-barrel/?hl=cocoa

but I'm pretty sure that's NOT the thread I'm remembering. And I've just spent the better part of the past hour plus trying to track down where I read it. :wallbash: I'm not crazy. I KNOW I read it someplace on here.

Edited by inkstainedruth

I'm only reporting what I've read about Cocoa in other posts. And the only 51 I've seen that was in that bad a shape was the one at the antiques fair. It could be that most batches were good, and there was only one batch that Parker got that was problematic, because the threads were from several years ago. I'll try to dig up the old thread(s) and post the link.

I do recall it being said to be one of the rarer colors, and I think the cracking issues reported was one of the reasons given for why it's less common. Personally, I didn't care for the color all that much -- the pen I saw was a sort of pinkish tan color.

Now, Plum, OTOH -- Plum is sexy.... B)

Why paint Cocoa as a problem color? I have had teal, navy gray, black and midnight blue pens that came to me with cracks or breaks. About twenty years ago or so barrels and hoods for full size and demi 51s were more available than they seem to be today. I am supposing that a lot of the spares have been used up. In addition to the cracks and breaks, I have used spares to replace barrels with personalizations poorly ground out, barrels scarred by some cap inflicted scoring on the barrel near the clutch ring, hoods with the point gone, and other stuff. There were some problems with roughly treated pens. One anecdote should be made note of in case of more incidents, but I have seen several cocoa pens and parts, but none cracked.

The weaker plastic is in the later 51s with the chopped off end to the barrel. I have treated mine well, and have not seen any cracks. Time will tell. The chances are most plastics will eventually deteriorate. I hope it's not in my lifetime. I pray I might last yet a long while.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

+1

I have seen dozens of cracked barrels and hoods. In all colors but cocoa. There may be cracked cocoa bodies but none has come my way until now.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

to the op

as you are in the UK I would suggest you have a look at penamie - I have purchased from this vendor on

a number of occassions in the last 2 years and been a very satisfied customer (no affiliations).

He has a good selection of P 51s in good condition well within you budget that should give you many

years of service.

Best of luck

Tony

As you are in Scotland I would have a word with Eric Wilson in Edinburgh, PM him on Eckithump on here

I am certain that he will have 51s for sale and he does his own restorations.

I can give you his email address if you PM me

Edited by Beechwood

Hello, I would like to a have a durable and sturdy pen for high school. Doing some research, I found that the P51 is considered to be the perfect work pen. So any recommendations for what model to get and why? Aero vs vac etc. Also where about can I get one a restored one for a reasonable price (About £120 give or take)

Thanks

D. Laverty

EBAY is a good place...

But you are in England, (I suppose), you probably do have some nice pen shops over there.

A Vac or an Aero will do the job, (but make sure the pen is restored no matter what, it saves you from a lot of hassle.)

An Aero will probably last forever but a Vac will need a simple service every 10 - 15, (maybe even 20?), years or so.

An Aero does feel different than a Vac, so be warned.

(I hope this thread that I started will help ya out: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/322480-parker-51-or-a-lamy-2000/ . Please let us know if this confuses ya... :P )

Edited by AL01

cheapest aero p51 from a dealer I have seen recently in the UK is £40, usually around £60-£90 depending on nib size/ cap/box.

On e-bay prices seem to me to have dipped a bit lately in the UK, around £25 upwards for complete pens without too much obvious trauma although grey aeros seem to be less popular ( even if they have more interesting nibs like stubs and broad oblique stubs-hee hee!)

Tony

Just been looking on a few websites and prices look high, one of them wanted £200+ for a 51, as new admittedly.

I would agree the prices suggested by bigt, pen show prices are 40-50 for an ordinary aero, 50-60 for a vac 51, 60-70 for a gold capped pen and signets/insignias are seldom seen, possibly £100-125

5 years ago I bought 10 51s for £20 each.

Broad nibs could be £50 on their own, I have paid £15 for a cap, £25 for a barrel and £20 for a section, so a 51 in parts is worth more than a complete pen.

Deb at Goodwriters has a gold capped 51 for £58, the cap has a small dent.