The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Carry Pens/parker "51" Gloat

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 surprise123

surprise123

Destickered NOS

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2017 - 22:32

So I have been in this FP realm for a while now, but I keep fretting about my pens. I usually wear shirts that don't have pockets. And pants are not an option. I do have slips and cases, I just do not know how to transport them safely and securely. I EDC a TWSBI Eco but I still worry about drops, sticky hands, losing it, breaking the clip, breaking the pen, dropping it nib down, being handled by a daily BIC user, etc. This is usually the only pen I EDC because my Pilot Metro was my first pen and I hold it very dearly. 

Speaking of, well, pens, my Parker 51 Vac just arrived today in all its glory. I did a dry nib test (with some water) and it feels... just so smooth... like running a piece of hot butter over a piece of antique-grade glass. It just feels heavenly. Much unlike my Japanese fine, which did indeed give some rough feedback. This pen will, from now on, be my faithful and (conditionally) reliable pen at home once I get its diaphragm replaced for a new one (because I do not trust eBay THAT much). It will switch out with the Lamy 2K, which does not have the finest line for the cheap copy paper we use now. Even nice drawing paper feathered on that big boy. The Parker 51 has a relatively fine line for a western pen, so it will serve well when writing back to my grandparents/cousins/pen pals. Now, I just have to figure out how to tame this infernal filling system.

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:27

Dilly, Dilly!

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:32

If you want to carry a pen and don’t have shirt pockets you should google: neck loop pen slot...

#4 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:49

The neck holder sounds like a great idea but you could also consider a manbag.

#5 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:09

Buy a shirt with a pocket?

#6 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:54

You wear coats? I carry pen cases in my jacket pockets.

#7 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:21

Don't you have a school bag?
Khan

#8 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:26

It will switch out with the Lamy 2K, which does not have the finest line for the cheap copy paper we use now. Even nice drawing paper feathered on that big boy.

The feathering can be a symptom of the ink, rather than the pen. I tried Lamy's black ink in the 2k and it feathered horribly - I think it was a case of wet ink meets wet pen resulting in too much ink hitting the page. With Diamine velvet blue's ink I get a nice controlled line. So, rather than abandon the Lamy 2K, try a different ink. 

#9 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:46

Ayup, many issues can be remedied by changing inks.  Try a known dry ink in the L2K before you give up on it.  I'm going to suggest Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black.

#10 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 17:51

Ringtops have an upside: you can wear them without pockets.

And a couple of downsides: they run small, and they have a desire to run free. But the nibs...

#11 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 18:01

French men don't have such problems as here, it's quite acceptable for a man to carry a handbag. That's where the pen goes. No need to stick it in a pocket.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#12 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 18:46

Buy a shirt with a pocket?

+1

As far as the sticky hands, other users etc. Carry a small pack of hand wipes around, if a sink/soap aren't nearby, don't lend out your pen, there is really no obligation to do so, and become comfortable with the pen so as to handle it in a way that reduces fumbling and potential drops. Though I do have to say the one time I dropped my Parker 51 on a marble floor made it a better writer. I think the nib was pressed to tightly against the section and feed and otherwise struggled to have ink flow. A good smack against the marble provided enough separation from the section or feed to have ink flow as expected. Not generally recommended as a fix, but made lemonade out of a lemon nonetheless! 

Edited by JakobS, 18 December 2017 - 18:46.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#13 surprise123

surprise123

Destickered NOS

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 16:45

+1

As far as the sticky hands, other users etc. Carry a small pack of hand wipes around, if a sink/soap aren't nearby, don't lend out your pen, there is really no obligation to do so, and become comfortable with the pen so as to handle it in a way that reduces fumbling and potential drops. Though I do have to say the one time I dropped my Parker 51 on a marble floor made it a better writer. I think the nib was pressed to tightly against the section and feed and otherwise struggled to have ink flow. A good smack against the marble provided enough separation from the section or feed to have ink flow as expected. Not generally recommended as a fix, but made lemonade out of a lemon nonetheless! 

HAHAHAHA  :D  Sticky hands

No, that isn't what I meant, I meant that there are quite a couple inexperienced thiefs at school. In order to survive in middle school, you have to learn how to steal your own stuff back without letting any teachers know. If any teacher knows about any thievery, let it be taking your own stuff or other people's stuff, people always wind up being called and treated as a "snitch". You don't want to know what happened last time down at the bike rack.  :wacko:

#14 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 9,242 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:11

I want to know. I’m all about skirmishes at the rack.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#15 surprise123

surprise123

Destickered NOS

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 00:06

T

I want to know. Im all about skirmishes at the rack.

Ya know, the usual ego staredowns and a few bruises now and then. A kicked crotch is a rarity bevause the principal is especially harsh about that, but most fighting is done by "tasing" when one makes a rigid point with their index and middle finger and pokes the other in their stomach to the ground. You'd be surprised how much it hurts, worse than a sucker punch because its more like poking someone hard with a stick for 10 minutes between the ribs, the stomach, and when your aim is wide, the crotch. As for snitches, friendzoning is what gets em. People cut you off from the lunch line, they spread rumors about you dating someone's mother, frequent discreet tases in the hall, and more. The worst part is that no one ever gets caught because getting some backup from teachers just extends your torment further.

Edited by surprise123, 03 January 2018 - 00:14.

#16 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 9,242 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:25

T
Ya know, the usual ego staredowns and a few bruises now and then. A kicked crotch is a rarity bevause the principal is especially harsh about that, but most fighting is done by "tasing" when one makes a rigid point with their index and middle finger and pokes the other in their stomach to the ground. You'd be surprised how much it hurts, worse than a sucker punch because its more like poking someone hard with a stick for 10 minutes between the ribs, the stomach, and when your aim is wide, the crotch. As for snitches, friendzoning is what gets em. People cut you off from the lunch line, they spread rumors about you dating someone's mother, frequent discreet tases in the hall, and more. The worst part is that no one ever gets caught because getting some backup from teachers just extends your torment further.

Things must have changed. I spent so much time in the Principle’s Office we were on a first name basis had he knew my home phone without looking it up.

If you are going to dish it out you need to take it when it is served—you don’t go running for the teacher.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sponsored Content

|