Good Substitute For Montblanc Leonardo Red Chalk?

oregano

I've been searching high and low for a replacement for Leonardo Red Chalk.

Unfortunately I did not get into the color when the bottles were readily available. I have Montblanc Carlo Collodi brown, which is close, but it is more brown.

Other inks that were suggested-- like Diamine Ancient Copper-- just didn't seem to be the same to me in terms of dramatic shading or capturing the red hue.

Has anyone found a good replacement? Thanks in advance for your help to this ink nut :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oregano

• Chrissy

• Mew

• jmccarty3

3, Namely:

1. Franklin-Christoph Terre Firma - missed the boat I think. It was discontinued a few weeks ago so you will have to try at some other stores which stock FC inks.

2. Sailor Sankodo Kakuozan red Brown - almost same colour with 10x better performance, but would be pricy.

3. Red chalk itself. Saw a few bottles at a small store a couple of weeks ago. Surprisingly reasonably price too. Less than $20.

http://i.imgur.com/Q8QQh01.jpg

Edited to add the image.

Edited by Mew

Surely between Robert Oster and Monteverde there must be something. My imagination is telling me that I saw a doppelgänger for Red Chalk recently, but it might have been just my imagination.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I replied to your duplicate thread thusly:

"Surely between Robert Oster and Monteverde there must be something. My imagination is telling me that I saw a doppelgänger for Red Chalk recently, but it might have been just my imagination."

Well, it wasn't just my imagination--I did see a comparison between Red Chalk and F-C Terra Firma, and they were pretty close. Can't figure why they would discontinue such a good color, but I didn't have any Red Chalk, so I got one of the last bottles of Terra Firma.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That's strange, I wonder how I started a duplicate thread having only hit enter once, sorry about that!

Well, I did find another possibility mentioned in another ink thread, Kyo-iro Moonlight of Higashiyama, which I haven't tried yet. I'm not familiar with Monteverde's line of inks, but I have tried lots of Robert Oster, and there is nothing in his line similar to Red Chalk. Clay Red is much more red.

1. Franklin-Christoph Terre Firma - missed the boat I think. It was discontinued a few weeks ago so you will have to try at some other stores which stock FC inks.

The boat hasn't completely left for this one. FC still has Terra Firma in stock in their Stock Room page (http://www.franklin-christoph.com/the-stock-room.html scroll down to item #6).

Monteverde Red Velvet is a decent substitute for Mb Leonardo Red Chalk.

If you have Mb Carlo Collodi, then you just need to add a small amount of red ink to make it the same shade as Red Chalk. Try a little in a sample vial and add a couple of drops of bright red to it.

I will post 2 chroma test results to show you how similar they are.

3, Namely:

2. Sailor Sankodo Kakuozan red Brown - almost same colour with 10x better performance, but would be pricy.

3. Red chalk itself. Saw a few bottles at a small store a couple of weeks ago. Surprisingly reasonably price too. Less than $20.

I am assuming that store is in Japan, so not accessible to oregano. :(

Thank you so much, chraptacular and Chrissy! I would love to try Sankodo Kakouzan Red Brown, since it looks very close, but I only got as afar as adding it to the basket and could not figure out how to get the Japanese store to accept my US postal code (if anyone knows where I can get a bottle, please let me know). I will try adding a few drops of red to a sample of Carlo Collodi--I know they are very close (but not the same!)

I compared Monteverde Red Velvet to Red Chalk in the Doppelgänger thread. I reckon it would be about a year ago. They are close.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I compared Monteverde Red Velvet to Red Chalk in the Doppelgänger thread. I reckon it would be about a year ago. They are close.

Thank you, I will check it out. :) I found the thread, but unfortunately the comparison images were no longer there.

I had ordered a sample of Fireopal as a possible contender, but looks like I was a bit off.

Edited by oregano

Thank you so much, chraptacular and Chrissy! I would love to try Sankodo Kakouzan Red Brown, since it looks very close, but I only got as afar as adding it to the basket and could not figure out how to get the Japanese store to accept my US postal code (if anyone knows where I can get a bottle, please let me know). I will try adding a few drops of red to a sample of Carlo Collodi--I know they are very close (but not the same!)

Yes, only Japan delivery and only Japanese bank transfer or cash on delivery accepted, at least that was the case when I ordered earlier this year.

I am assuming that store is in Japan, so not accessible to oregano. :(

Yep, not accessible.

What do you think about Diamine 150th Terracotta as MB red chalk replacement?

This is the ink choice I settled on and use in my MB Leonardo FP.

I did compare Red Chalk (when I had a bottle, sold it because it was too dry) and Terre Firma. Both are very close, maybe a 5% difference at most. Since that is available at FC, I would recommend that.

What do you think about Diamine 150th Terracotta as MB red chalk replacement?

Diamine Terracotta is one of my top three 150th anniversary inks. :wub: It is a good replacement for Mb Red Chalk :)