Do You Actually Use Your Blotters? I Mean, Regularly.

ISW_Kaputnik

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• ISW_Kaputnik

• LizEF

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where's a good place to buy blotter sheets?

I bought mine from a small-town newsagent who had a fairly big line in notebooks and art pads, (though nothing much at all for pens). Art supplies could be a good place to look.

X

For quite some time I regularly use a rocker.

When I started in the office I stumbled over a vintage blotter that must have been resting there since the 60ies!

It must have been ages ago that anything like that actually was available from the supplier!

Maybe some still are collecting dust in some back shelf as most of our oldschool suppliers

used to defend their precious stock with claws and teeth, unwilling to part with any of their treasures.

When at last one had managed to wring a "new" ballpen from them, usually the ink had dried in it :wallbash:

I used that rocker blotter as long as I was there but left it when I got transferred elsewhere.

Idiot me should have taken it, as I was the only one to use it anyway! Probably someone dunked it by now :gaah:

I didn't use fountain pens for many years as we frequently had to fill out carbonless copy paper forms

that require pressure that only a ballpoint can stand.

As computers made most of the copy forms obsolete I returned to a cheap fountain pen with IG ink.

It took some time till I found a blotter but it now resides on my desk.

Whenever someone comes in for a signature their eyes widen when I produce a fountain pen

and the eyes nearly pop out when I reach for the blotter to dry the ink :yikes:

It's not easy to find blotting paper, though.

Back, when I was in school every new exercise book had a blotting paper in it.

As one paper usually lasted longer than one book, there was a certain surplus.

Some of us had a nice collection of unused blotting papers lying around.

I wonder where I left mine ... :rolleyes:

As I recall, I bought my J. Herbin paper from Jet Pens, some plain white paper from Pendemonium, and some Visconti paper with laminated backs at Amazon. I now have enough that I probably will never run out, since I'm not young, and as I mentioned, don't use it as regularly as I should. I also have six or eight sheets of advertising freebies that Richard Binder used to include with orders when he was still selling. I'm sure there are plenty of other good places to get it. Just mentioning the ones I've used personally.

To use the larger sheets with a rocker blotter, you cut off a piece of appropriate size.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

At one time, I was seeking out blotter paper, (was using a Clairfontain Journal that where the ink would take forever to dry), and after some disappointment at not finding any in a local crafts store or stationary store, went to my local Staples. They had nothing either.

Almost in desperation, I bought a pack of construction paper from the kids art section.

Frankly it works very well for my purposes.

I have, like many others here, cut sheets to fit into my notebooks, which also acts as a bookmark.

I just close the book and go.

I have several sheets cut on my desk (I often have to sign something, and then scan it right away). Sometimes the scan appears to smear a bit, so blotting with the construction paper before heading to the office scanner is helpful and saves time.

The pack of construction paper (8 1/2 x 11) cost maybe 2 or 3 dollars, and has about 30 sheets, so doubt I will ever run out.

Thanks, Noihvo - that middle photo with the blotter in the spine of the book is particularly helpful (I've never had / used / seen in real life a blotter, so I'm having to imagine things here). :)

You can buy a pack of 10 J. Herbin blotters from Wonderpens in Toronto. https://www.wonderpens.ca/Blotting_Supplies_s/1923.htm

Goulet Pens carry blotters: https://www.gouletpens.com/search?query=blotters&facetValueFilter=

Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com) usually include a check-book size advertising blotter with their pen shipments. I seem to have accumulated a stack of them. :rolleyes:

I keep either a nibs.com or a J. Herbin blotter tucked in my journals. I use them all the time.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I keep a rocker blotter (J. Herbin) on my desk, and I keep cut-to-fit sheets of blotting paper in my journal and Hobo planner. Other sheets I keep with my stationery, to blot the last page and sometimes to put under my hand to prevent smearing.

Most of my blotter sheets came with blocks of writing paper. I've accumulated quite a few and they last for years.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I also use an advertising blotter that I received from Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com). It serves as both a blotter and bookmark in my Hobonichi Techo Planner. In eleven months plus use it has picked up a surprising number of blobs.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, my previous post was empty, due to Chrome malfunction.

There is a small rocker blotter on my desk that I regularly use with my journals, letters, envelopes, and post cards.

I also use cut pieces of a large sheet of blotter paper for paper shields. This prevents my hand from smearing ink and transferring skin oils to the page causing the pen to skip. It has been some time ago that I purchased a few large blotter sheets from the local art supply store. I had to ask for them since they were kept in the back in drawers.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I've never purchased a rocker blotter but may someday. I got a huge stash of blotter sheets from a defunct pen business. I keep one on the desk, one in my journal and one in the check book.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I always keep a sheet in my Tomoe River notebook and planner. I got what is probably a lifetime supply for me, for a good price from Nanami paper.

http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/ink-blotter-paper-a5-10-sheets.html

^^^ This

I do find though that I can make do with just the sheet they include with each journal. Sure it gets ratty and dog eared by the time I finish a journal, but I treat it as a badge of pride and store it away with the book.