The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Metropolitan Converter Leaking

leaking pilot converter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 antoipod

antoipod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2017 - 22:31

I noticed some ink on my Pilot metropolitan's converter when I opened it up yesterday, I cleaned the ink off and tried to fill it but got some ink on my hands from touching the converter and this is after cleaning the ink off so I tried to fill it with a piece of paper over the converter and found that the paper was inky after refilling the pen. I suspect the converter is leaking, it also looks really squashed and is not coming all the way back to its original state when squeezed. Since I am relatively new to fountain pens, is there any way to fix this and is this a normal problem? Also, where can I find another squeeze converter, I've heard the twist ones have a much smaller ink capacity.

Sponsored Content

#2 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 00:44

The converter provided with the metro isn’t very durable with considerable use, as it is indicated as a “cleaning” converter by Pilot in the directions. The pilot con-20 is their larger, more durable squeeze converter, and relatively cheap too!
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#3 antoipod

antoipod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:12

The pilot con-20 is their larger, more durable squeeze converter, and relatively cheap too!

I can't find where to buy the con 20 anywhere though, at least not for a reasonable price (80$ for a converter on amazon.ca looks like robbery to me). The only pilot converter I can readily find is the con 40 though it costs as much as my pilot metropolitan after shipping and has a much lower ink capacity.

#4 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:01

I would contact by phone or email one of the fountain pen stores in Canada; Wonder Pens, Laywines, Stylos, The Vancouver Pen Shop to name a few, they may have the con-20 in stock but not listed on their websites.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#5 iruciperi

iruciperi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:25

I can't find where to buy the con 20 anywhere though, at least not for a reasonable price (80$ for a converter on amazon.ca looks like robbery to me). The only pilot converter I can readily find is the con 40 though it costs as much as my pilot metropolitan after shipping and has a much lower ink capacity.

There WAS CON-20, CON-50, and CON-70 in the Pilot converter line-up. They got rid of 20 and 50 and added 40. So there are two Pilot converters now: CON-40 with piston mechanism and 70 with button filling mechanism. CON-20 is basically a squeeze filler with rubber sac. I don't know which converter you have with your Metropolitan. If it is a squeeze-type, I think you have CON-20, or sth similar to that. I have a few of CON-20s, and never had any leaking issue. But, because the rubber sac is exposed, it is very prone to push the rubber sac by your own hand whenever you touch the converter to spill the remaining ink inside. Indeed, I found there is no way not to squeeze the converter to remove it from the grip section.

I recommend you to try CON-40. If local retailers suggest unreasonable price, you should find one in Ebay if you don't mind. Some sellers from Hong Kong or Japan are selling CON-40s a way under 10 bucks including shipping. 

Edited by iruciperi, 14 December 2017 - 02:26.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leaking, pilot, converter

Sponsored Content

|