Newest Edition: M805 Ocean Swirl

Jezza

Mine arrived today, definitely the most disappointing M800/M805 that I've purchased. This example has large bands of predominantly black on both binde and cap, with starkly contrasting areas of bright fluorescent green. Instead of the two colours being interspersed as shown on all the marketing images for this pen, this had alternating wide bands of green and black - not at all attractive...

Very disappointed in Pelikan QC here - I've bought more M800 pens than any other model, including the Renaissance Brown, and have never had an issue such as this.

post-66761-0-78016500-1514424790_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• jkingrph

• invisuu

• Pjay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe it was known earlier that the pattern is not all around the pen and would rather be in 2 parts only. So why the surprise?

There are no QC issues here. That's what the pen is like and intended to be.

SBRE Brown did a review of this very model a few days back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN5jXeNrK40

Thanks for posting this! I'm surprised that Appelboom, knowing that the pen would be reviewed, selected a less than perfect nib.

I would hesitate to buy this pen online, given that each seems to display a different distribution of reflective material. I'd have to see that in person before paying that amount of money.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I believe it was known earlier that the pattern is not all around the pen and would rather be in 2 parts only. So why the surprise?

There are no QC issues here. That's what the pen is like and intended to be.

Not so Mew, your 'belief' is not borne out by Pelikan's publicity shots - would you like to provide a link to support your assertions?

The marketing images for this pen show a relatively uniform distribution of the green and black flecks - none show wide bands of almost pure black. Did you watch the review above? It reaches exactly the same conclusion that I have. I also agree with Brown's observation that Pelikan ship pens with nibs that simply do not write well. I've had to return one for replacement.

My Ocean Swirl will be in the mail today, at somewhere between $30 and $40 for overseas postage, not a decision taken lightly.

If my example looked anything like the images below, I'd be delighted....

post-66761-0-38684900-1514502291_thumb.jpg

post-66761-0-69427500-1514502308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pjay

Regardless of the publicity shots, it was noted here on FPN that the colour was not all around the pen quite some time ago. Without searching it out, it may have been as early as the beginning of November.

X

I received mine today, and it's too late in the evening to decide on an ink, load it, test it, etc. But I am perfectly happy with appearance, having read all the foregoing comments since the inception of this thread.

If the nib [F] and feed are good, as have been all my birds, out of the box, and there is no leaking between section and barrel, or anywhere else, I'll be very happy.

It is a beautiful pen to behold, and it is sufficiently different from any other version to justify the acquisition. I have passed on the Renaissance Brown, because it looks too similar to my Grand Place [which I love for the aesthetics].

Happy New Year to all!

Not so Mew, your 'belief' is not borne out by Pelikan's publicity shots - would you like to provide a link to support your assertions?

The marketing images for this pen show a relatively uniform distribution of the green and black flecks - none show wide bands of almost pure black. Did you watch the review above? It reaches exactly the same conclusion that I have. I also agree with Brown's observation that Pelikan ship pens with nibs that simply do not write well. I've had to return one for replacement.

My Ocean Swirl will be in the mail today, at somewhere between $30 and $40 for overseas postage, not a decision taken lightly.

If my example looked anything like the images below, I'd be delighted....

Images show you about 120 degree of the total surface area of the pen, and for a pattern like this, you may want to see a video.

See this Instagram video by another buyer: https://instagram.com/p/Bc3_ItlFAV4/

And the video posted by Pelikan on their official channel much before the pen was available to the retailers: https://instagram.com/p/BaZErL9FgAK/

Pattern isn't definitely all around the body of the pen, and the fact was known before I placed my order. I really cannot fault Pelikan in this case.

But I do agree that their nibs are substandard. I received a bent nib on my M1000 bought a few months ago. I sent it back for a refund. Either send a perfect pen or send my money back. I absolutely refuse to get into any sort of replacement business.

This does not include the design. If the design is not meant to be all around the pen, I will not call it a fault.

You can ask for a refund if the nib is not good, but body and the design are okay.

Edited by Mew

I made there mistake of trusting the evidence of Pelikan's marketing photos, and their written description:

“Exposure to light further enhances and adds sparkle and depth which vary in intensity. Just like in the deep sea, bright spots alternate with dark spots mimicking the light that radiates and is found in the ocean. Each writing instrument is truly unique.”

There is a big difference between alternating bands of black and blue and alternating bright spots and dark spots. I expect the manufacturer to provide an accurate description of the product, and don't expect to have to search for multiple forum threads to fill in the missing details.

I now find that Pilot pens provide a much better writing experience, and a much more predictable product description. My recent Pilot Custom 823 purchases include EF nibs that really are EF (unlike Pelikan) and a beautiful flex nib, at a price point significantly lower than the Pelikan pens that I've been buying for several years.

Pilot indeed provides more consistent and better pens then Pelikan. They are my favourite pen company and I own 3 of their Namiki emperors Vermillion along with various lower end pens like 823.

I would never drop more than 400 euros on a Pelikan. But willing to spend 1000 euro+ on a Pilot/Namiki.

I just wanted vibrant blue, ocean swirl, brown Tortoise and M1000 from Pelikan. Now that I have all of them, I am not going to bother with pelikans again in this lifetime.

I think declaring one company better than another is purely subjective and a matter of taste. If you have concerns about the pen's appearance based on product shots, I think that is totally justified. I have long had issues with their product photography though historically the pens have tended to look even better in person than the photos. The M605 White-Transparent and the M805 Ocean Swirl do not resemble their product shots well. I think this can lead to certain buyers regretting their decisions and I would hope that Pelikan keep the product photography as true to life as possible in the future.

Regarding the disappointment in the M805, Pelikan did release a video showing the banding on the product on October 18th via their social medal outlets. I don't expect potential consumers to seek these things out but there was evidence of the variability dating back to then. I can easily understand how some may be disappointed with the pen in hand. I personally like the look for its uniqueness but that too is all subjective. The nib experience is also something that cannot be categorically stated as shipping with "nibs that do now write well." I have hundreds of Pelikan pens bought new and the great majority do write well out of the box, including my recent copy of the Ocean Swirl from Fritz Schimpf. Sorry this one wasn't to your liking Pjay.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Pilot indeed provides more consistent and better pens then Pelikan. They are my favourite pen company and I own 3 of their Namiki emperors Vermillion along with various lower end pens like 823.

I would never drop more than 400 euros on a Pelikan. But willing to spend 1000 euro+ on a Pilot/Namiki.

I just wanted vibrant blue, ocean swirl, brown Tortoise and M1000 from Pelikan. Now that I have all of them, I am not going to bother with pelikans again in this lifetime.

Au contraire, only 2/6 Pilot pens I have purchased brand new wrote, the rest all needed adjusting or were so badly tuned, I couldnt get them to write at all. Pelikan has been somewhat reliable to me; I got all of them perfect straight out of the box, except 2 broad nibs that had babys bottom issue. The only brand that has been 100% reliable for me has been Lamy, at 26 nibs all writing perfectly straight out of the box.

As you can see, this is luck of the draw.

Au contraire, only 2/6 Pilot pens I have purchased brand new wrote, the rest all needed adjusting or were so badly tuned, I couldnt get them to write at all. Pelikan has been somewhat reliable to me; I got all of them perfect straight out of the box, except 2 broad nibs that had babys bottom issue. The only brand that has been 100% reliable for me has been Lamy, at 26 nibs all writing perfectly straight out of the box.

I suppose. I did get a bent nib (yes, bent at about 30 deg from the original location) from Pelikan and a few with baby bottom issue.

As with Pilot, some nibs were bit scratchy, or dry for my liking.

I suppose. I did get a bent nib (yes, bent at about 30 deg from the original location) from Pelikan and a few with baby bottom issue.

As with Pilot, some nibs were bit scratchy, or dry for my liking.

I believe you. When I purchased an Aurora Nebulosa - the gorgeous purple limited edition from Aurora - I wanted it with a crisp italic nib. What I received was a right (!) foot oblique, that did not write at all. There was simply no ink flow whatsoever from that nib. Theres lots of people who received great nibs from Aurora, however. Mine looked like someone had a bit of fun with the tipping, cutting it with kitchen scissors...while drunk.

Im honestly baffled how little precision there is in fountain pens production. Especially considering the prices were paying. But those nibs that do write well, they make me a happy panda.

I'm honestly baffled how little real customer service there is from so many vendors. Really? A nib bent at 30 degrees? And you're blaming Pelikan? Fine. But if I got a nib bent like that I would blame the vendor for letting the thing leave his premises.

I had a vendor once tell me that they were very busy and did not have time to check nibs. This, on a roughly $800 big name pen. Well sir, I can help you with that busy problem. I won't buy from you again because you've just told me that you don't care any more about customer service than the paper boy who used to throw my paper in the bushes a couple days a week (back in the day, newspapers were often delivered to your front door by young men on bikes... I know, weird, huh!).

While I don't doubt there are some poor nibs out there on occasion, much of the complaining I see on FPN regardless the brand stems from things a good retailer should catch before it leaves the shop.

But maybe that's just me? 99% of the nibs I've gotten on new pens the past 2 years have been just wonderful. The one bad one should have been caught by the retailer before he shipped it. I'm sorry some of you folks have such problems getting good pens... frankly, I'd change hobbies if I had the issues some of you tell about.

OK, rant over. I wish EVERYONE a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Personally I buy a lot of my pens second hand so that I know that these issues have been largely dealt with by the previous owner (plus pens are often half the price having been used 2-3 times!).

I would recommend having a loupe, some paper and the confidence to tune a nib, as even on perfectly smooth nibs, a quick tune can make them even more suited to your hand, but I do also understand the risks involved in doing this (And really, a pen shouldn't turn up with babies bottom, misalignment, or any other issue really other than possibly a filling issue since that can't be tested without making a mess of a new pen!)

I, too, had problems with Pilot nibs, specifically two Sterling Silver Collection ones. Both M and F nibs were scratchy as hell with poor ink flow out of the box, but my 823, on the other hand, was OK. So, there is no such a thing as consistency among any pen brands, as my experience with many of them shows. Unfortunately, the only way to mitigate the risks is to buy a pen in person from a dealer who is willing to let you try multiple samples.

Just got my pen today. Photos taken under light tent. I specifically requested the vendor try to choose a pen that did not demonstrate huge bands of dark and I do think they did a good job of choosing one for me. There are dark spots to be sure but even in those you can still see the underlying texture and as you rotate the pen in the light the dark areas are very transient if that makes any sense. It's very cloudy and overcast here today so can't get pics in the sunlight but at the window with normal lighting it was very dynamic and *sparkly*.

post-64817-0-63947400-1514604743_thumb.jpg

post-64817-0-50016700-1514604755_thumb.jpg