Forest Green Parker 51 Aero (Uk Made) W/rolled Silver Cap/nickel Clip

Offret

Does this pen exist? I sometimes see the rolled silver caps, but often with gold filled clips (don't like the two-tone look on either the Vacumatic or Aerometric 51s). I was wondering if the UK Aeros were ever produced in this combo. Or am I chasing a unicorn...?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Offret

• mitto

• PaulS

• DrCodfish

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked on the Parker 51 line-up page and it looks like the Nassau Green possibly had a gold clip on the silver cap. I don't know if there is a Forest Green with a silver cap and silver clip, unless someone swapped that in.

I suspect they were made with gold clips because they matched the gold nibs.

Have you looked on the parkerpens.net site?

As far as I know the English R Silver cap came with a gold clip and the cap came paired with earo pens.

I have seen a rolled silver cap with a regular clip, although that is not to say that it left the factory that way. I know that there are pen repairers who will fit other Parker clips to Parker caps if it gets the job done particularly if the pen isnt that important.

I looked on the Parker 51 line-up page and it looks like the Nassau Green possibly had a gold clip on the silver cap. I don't know if there is a Forest Green with a silver cap and silver clip, unless someone swapped that in.

I suspect they were made with gold clips because they matched the gold nibs.

Have you looked on the parkerpens.net site?

I have. After some more research it looks like they only came with gold clips...and that any RS cap fountain in the wild that has a nickel clip, is likely the product of a swap.

Thanks for the replies everybody! Appreciate it.

Yes, the R. Silver caps came from the factory only with gold clips. But one may put a chrome clip on her/his own pen cap using her/his own free will. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes, the R. Silver caps came from the factory only with gold clips. But one may put a chrome clip on her/his own pen cap using her/his own free will. :)

I think that's what I'm going to do. I love the rolled silver converging line caps, but I dislike the gold clip on silver cap look and I don't care for the Lustraloy finish either.

Edited by Offret

I think that's what I'm going to do. I love the rolled silver converging line caps, but I dislike the gold clip on silver cap look and I don't care for the Lustraloy finish either.

My R. Silver capped English 51s are pairs (both FP+BP and FP+MP). So I may not find the silver clips for the smaller brothers/sisters of the FPs. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

we might be fresh out of unicorns - in my ignorance, may I ask the op what prompts the speculative question as to the existence of a U.K. aero in Forest Green. Is there some legendary tall tale or rumour suggesting that this combo has been found in the U.K? If you read the various pen sites linked above, caution is needed when interpreting what's being said to prevent misunderstanding of which colours were being produced separately in the States and U.K. - it isn't always clear. If you read the book, and from what I can make out in above links, this particular aero green appears not to have been made at Newhaven, officially, although that's not to say that it doesn't occur at a very rare level - has anyone found or seen such a beast. Green is one of my favourite colours, especially BRG - perhaps Forest Green isn't too far removed.

This idea of a two tone cap - g.f. clip and silver coloured cap, occurs on the British Mentmore f.ps. c. 1950 ish - on their model No. 46, and which nearly always seems to be found as a b.f. For this pen the company produced a chrome coloured cap which they called 'Permobrite' to which they added a g.f. clip ............ needless to say that in use the cap doesn't stay very bright, but if you don't use the pen then it stays very attractively bright. They also produced a Sterling version of the cap - again with a g.f. clip, and finally they knocked out a g.f. cap with a g.f. clip - perhaps the most attractive of the variations. All versions of the cap had incised patterning - some vertical, some horizontal - mostly attractive, and the pen was designed with a hooded nib perhaps in homage to the 51. These nibs appear to all be firm.

Edited by PaulS

we might be fresh out of unicorns - in my ignorance, may I ask the op what prompts the speculative question as to the existence of a U.K. aero in Forest Green. Is there some legendary tall tale or rumour suggesting that this combo has been found in the U.K? If you read the various pen sites linked above, caution is needed when interpreting what's being said to prevent misunderstanding of which colours were being produced separately in the States and U.K. - it isn't always clear. If you read the book, and from what I can make out in above links, this particular aero green appears not to have been made at Newhaven, officially, although that's not to say that it doesn't occur at a very rare level - has anyone found or seen such a beast. Green is one of my favourite colours, especially BRG - perhaps Forest Green isn't too far removed.

This idea of a two tone cap - g.f. clip and silver coloured cap, occurs on the British Mentmore f.ps. c. 1950 ish - on their model No. 46, and which nearly always seems to be found as a b.f. For this pen the company produced a chrome coloured cap which they called 'Permobrite' to which they added a g.f. clip ............ needless to say that in use the cap doesn't stay very bright, but if you don't use the pen then it stays very attractively bright. They also produced a Sterling version of the cap - again with a g.f. clip, and finally they knocked out a g.f. cap with a g.f. clip - perhaps the most attractive of the variations. All versions of the cap had incised patterning - some vertical, some horizontal - mostly attractive, and the pen was designed with a hooded nib perhaps in homage to the 51. These nibs appear to all be firm.

My mistake assuming UK P51s were produced in forest green. I just purchased a UK P51 w/RS cap. It was a good price. No specifics were given, but the cap looked pristine - 30 days return if it doesn't turn out. If the nib is fine or medium, and the rest of the pen is functional, then I will try and hunt down a forest green body/hood, and source an appropriate nickel clip.

thanks - I wouldn't worry about making a mistake, join the club - there are plenty of folk here to put the likes of you and me right :)

Newhaven made aero 51s remain common in the U.K. - but as you'd imagine examples with r.silver caps are vastly less than common - and in view of the hype that goes with them, prices are usually high, but I'm in two minds as to whether they are worth inflated prices. You'd imagine it's the collectors that hike the prices, rather than users, and it's often a special or desirable nib that can drive a price up. Good to hear your purchase has a pristine cap - that's an important issue, and one that will mean your pen should hold its value. Mostly, U.K. aero 51s seem to turn up in burgundy, black and teal then grey, possibly more often with a g.f. cap than lustraloy. In the wild in the U.K., States made aeros, seem genuinely uncommon.

Perhaps we might see a picture of your pen when you have received it.

Edited by PaulS

I have a pen and pencil pair in Forest Green with lusty caps, and both are marked "Made in England". The pen is coded .9. and the pencil is 2, so they did not begin together. Tried to get a photo of the pen but the light is so bad today and the stamping rather worn, the result was not good enough to post (sorry, perhaps another day).

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I really like the forest green color. I have a 45 in this color w/brushed stainless cap and gold clip. The gold clip stands out and not in a good way in my opinion. I too would like to find a silver/silver finish cap and clip. More than that I'd like to find a forest green 51, I have seen them but have trouble swallowing the price. reviewing my collection I see that my taste runs more to vacumatics. Not a surprise, some classics are timeless and so it is with Vacs for me.

My first 51 back in 1991 was a 1948 production forest green earo with gold cap. Eversince I have been collecting 51s regardless of what color they are. And the colors started pouring in. All colors including plum, cocoa, forest green and midnight blue beside the vac colors. In the English production 51s I particularly like the Bloody Brit Burgundy especially with clean gold caps.

I too have 45s in the forest green color. Both singles as well FP+BP sets. Also have a few Newhaven AF Duofolds in the forest green color. Though parkerpens.net does not mention the forest green among the colors that the AF Duofolds came in.

Khan M. Ilyas

".... Also have a few Newhaven AF Duofolds in the forest green color."

Those are great pens in my book, a fusion of styles which is a concept I normally don't care for. I only have one, a simple black, I'd have more (blue, burgundy and green or teal[?]) but there is the problem of which pen to buy and which to put on the "list'. Currently at or near the top of my Parker list is a Duofold Lapis Senior, to fill out a short collection; Big red, Black, Black and Pearl and Mandarin. Vying for top of the list billing is a Burgundy DJ Vac Maxima.

ll in the course of time I guess.

quote from Khan ................ "Though parkerpens.net does not mention the forest green among the colors that the AF Duofolds came in."

​And the same situation occurs with the Duofold book, where the only solid colours mentioned are black and red - for the period 1941 - 63.

​I have a couple of Victories - one brass button and one A/F button - in F.G. - so seems this colour not uncommon outside the 51, but rare/expensive within that model.

​F.G. is a subtle and reserved colour .... not impossible - in poor light perhaps - to mistake it for black. A more classic green than the later green used on the Newhaven aero pens.

Yes Paul. The English aero Duofold green colour is entirely different green. That green hasn't got the blackish tint in it like the forest green of the 51 and the AF Duofolds. I haven't seen a forest green NS Duofold, though.

Khan M. Ilyas