• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DDP1

• KellyMcJ

• Olya

• Fuzzy_Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One I like is Private Reserve Electric D.C Blue. It can, depending on the paper and pen appear as blue with a bit of red sheen, as an intense blue (that's how it appears usually for me), or almost a purple. My go to blue is Namiki Blue, more for it's permanence... I wouldn't think it's going to knock your socks off, or particularly interesting.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I have several (8) different blues. None are perfect.

fpn_1513272640__img_3422.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

You might also go to Anderson pens website andersonpens.com. they have and ink comparison tool.

That is actually pretty good!

Golly, has nobody posted a link to the "Show Us Your Blues" Inky Thought Of the Day thread? Fair warning: there are lots of images, and some are large.

I see that you're located in Greece. I would take your request for Diamine blues seriously if I knew much about their line of blues, but I dont. I presume that pointing you at Noodler's (or Private Reserve, for that matter) is Not Helpful, as both are very small American one-man-band shops. I'm sure that if I could suggest some other suppliers, that would be, but being almost entirely unfamiliar with the Eurozone, I can't. Perhaps you could search for ink on Amazon, taking note of who is selling, and see if they have a site you might check out for their full range. Others have suggested eurozone vendors: appelboom.com, thewritingdesk.co.uk

As others have pointed out, what you see isn't going to be exactly what you get. Look for multiple images and reviews of your candidates, and start with samples.

I'm not a fan of teal leaning blue blacks. Check out the links in my signature line - especially the blue inks - you can look at hundreds of blue ink samples.

If Diamine is your brand of choice my favorites are the hard to clean super saturated inks *you can dilute them down* and I like the purple leaning blues. Bilberry *blueberry* and Sargasso Sea are two of my favorites. I also liked Blue Velvet.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year and thanks for all the replies.

It turned out that my pen had developed a scratchiness when moving horizontally from left to right that I was able to fix easily.

I also spread the nib a bit and made it wetter according to instructions. (I hope)

However, do you think there s someting worng with the pen or is that blue really that watery and washed out?

post-140274-0-76242700-1514894085_thumb.jpg

post-140274-0-75143500-1514894155_thumb.jpg

post-140274-0-78047400-1514894204_thumb.jpg

Did you just flush the pen? If so it really IS watery- literally, and that will clear up soon (you can speed the process up by resting the nib on a paper towel for a bit...or just write it out.) By tomorrow the ink will look much better after it fully works its way into all the nooks and crannies of the feed. :)

Edit: I noticed all your samples aren't the same ink- I don't know that in, it could really just be that color too. Some inks aren't very saturated at all.

Either way I don't think there's anything wrong with the pen. One way or the other the ink is the culprit here.

Edited by KellyMcJ

You already mentioned it

Majestic Blue

It is a great blue and I use it for everyday. Do not know what you mean with temperamental exactly, but for me the ink behaves very good. It has a beautiful sheen, which you will only see on non absorbing papers, and it is absolutely not disturbing to me. I guess most people who are not aware of this kind of ink characteristic will not even notice.

You can try samples (as Goulet offers) and Diamine also has smaller bottles.

+1 for Diamine Majestic Blue. Diamine Sargasso Sea is darker.

Did you just flush the pen? If so it really IS watery- literally, and that will clear up soon (you can speed the process up by resting the nib on a paper towel for a bit...or just write it out.) By tomorrow the ink will look much better after it fully works its way into all the nooks and crannies of the feed. :)

Edit: I noticed all your samples aren't the same ink- I don't know that in, it could really just be that color too. Some inks aren't very saturated at all.

Either way I don't think there's anything wrong with the pen. One way or the other the ink is the culprit here.

I just put the others there to get a comparison of how watery it is.

I had cleaned it, but this is not it. It has dried. This is the second or third cartridge. The pen puts down enough ink but it s that pale.

I thought that something might be stuck inside and flushed it again and let it dry completely. Nothing came on paper or even when trying to blow in it. Is it possible for water to hide and hold its place that well after 2 mini cartridges?

+1 for Diamine Majestic Blue. Diamine Sargasso Sea is darker.

I think I ll order the Saphire as it seems brighter, but I have to wait till they restock as they have run out of most of them. They said early this year they ll receive them.

I just put the others there to get a comparison of how watery it is.

I had cleaned it, but this is not it. It has dried. This is the second or third cartridge. The pen puts down enough ink but it s that pale.

I thought that something might be stuck inside and flushed it again and let it dry completely. Nothing came on paper or even when trying to blow in it. Is it possible for water to hide and hold its place that well after 2 mini cartridges?

Not really, if you are seeing enough ink on the page (does the line look good and wet?) Then it must be the ink. Pens are not capable of stripping color from an ink. That ink just isn't very saturated, maybe it's old or defective or was stored improperly at some point (maybe not by you) and has turned.

Not really, if you are seeing enough ink on the page (does the line look good and wet?) Then it must be the ink. Pens are not capable of stripping color from an ink. That ink just isn't very saturated, maybe it's old or defective or was stored improperly at some point (maybe not by you) and has turned.

yes, the line seems thick and solid with no gaps, but so weak. In reality it looks even worse than the photos.

A pen cannot pale down a colour by introducing air (or I don't know what other way is possible), can it?

yes, the line seems thick and solid with no gaps, but so weak. In reality it looks even worse than the photos.

A pen cannot pale down a colour by introducing air (or I don't know what other way is possible), can it?

No, if there were an air leak the entire contents of the cartridge would empty itself onto whatever you're writing.

Reviews of that ink are rare but I did find one that stated they thought they'd accidentally watered down the ink because it was so pale and washed out.

I think the ink is just terrible. Get a different ink.

No, if there were an air leak the entire contents of the cartridge would empty itself onto whatever you're writing.

Reviews of that ink are rare but I did find one that stated they thought they'd accidentally watered down the ink because it was so pale and washed out.

I think the ink is just terrible. Get a different ink.

I searched and couldn't find any info.

I only got it because it was the only one available around after my waterman supply run out.

You saved me from a lot of worries. Thank you.

I ll try to get a proper bottle asap.

DDP1,

I will gladly send you few carts of Majestic blue and Sapphire blue, if you haven’t made your order yet.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

You mean the paleness of the Schneider ink in the Waterman? Going by the picture, but also knowing Schneider (and most of the "Royal Blue" German inks) that is 100% a washable blue. When you buy a German ink and the colour says "Royal Blue" or "Königsblau", it really is "washable blue". Sure, a royal blue in hue, but with all the typical properties and drawbacks of a washable blue. It isn't properly translated into English imo, as English (speaking) ink manufacturers always add the "washable" when an ink is such one.

Washable inks have a reputation for fading dramatically and being rather pale from the get-go. There are plenty of fans here of washables and maybe it'll eventually strike your fancy too, but admittedly only when one knows what kind of ink it is, not when expecting a rich colour and then have the impression one is writing with water..

Königsblau/ washable blue is the traditional colour for school children and a saviour in that setting! :)

You mean the paleness of the Schneider ink in the Waterman? Going by the picture, but also knowing Schneider (and most of the "Royal Blue" German inks) that is 100% a washable blue. When you buy a German ink and the colour says "Royal Blue" or "Königsblau", it really is "washable blue". Sure, a royal blue in hue, but with all the typical properties and drawbacks of a washable blue. It isn't properly translated into English imo, as English (speaking) ink manufacturers always add the "washable" when an ink is such one.

Washable inks have a reputation for fading dramatically and being rather pale from the get-go. There are plenty of fans here of washables and maybe it'll eventually strike your fancy too, but admittedly only when one knows what kind of ink it is, not when expecting a rich colour and then have the impression one is writing with water..

Königsblau/ washable blue is the traditional colour for school children and a saviour in that setting! :)

It actually says konigsblau, loschbar.

Your explanation makes sense as Schneider is not an unknown Chinese company.