The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Pens - Insane Discounts On Vanness

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:34

https://vanness1938....ons/bexley-pens

I was drawn to the Gaston's angel, but wound up hating the look of that clip (even though it is 6k gold) but for $100 with a 14k or 18k nib, it's kind of impressive.

I wound up going for a Bulls for Jim Gaston #64/100 in red ripple ebonite for $125 with an 18k stub. I'm pretty excited.

Pretty much all of them are on massive discount. The sleeve filler looked fun but in the end wasn't worth an extra $50 for me.

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 16:25

Yeah, they have been selling off a lot of older Bexley pens for years now. I think they bought a lot of old stock and have been moving it over the years. Once in a while you can find a pen being sold without the nib for a very low price and you can shove a Jowo sell nib in for very little money to make a great writer on the cheap.

The Angel and Bull pen are a great deal, but they are too small fore and use the small #5 nib. That said, I did buy a set of the Bull and Bear a while ago when they ran a special. I was even able to find a coupon on top. A great place to shop for Bexley pens although it seems most of the old stock is almost gone now.

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 22:35

I just got my bull and it does have a relatively small nib, but something about the pen is just fascinating and I don't think the #5 nib looks out of place. This also needs to be held against the cost of a JoWo #5 gold nib, which will run you about $75-100 alone, so these pens are kind of a screaming deal.

Something about the design is just cool. it can be posted and is specifically designed to do so, but the pen becomes weirdly long, and it's a perfect length unposted. 

My problem is that the stub was over smoothed, completely rounded over on both tines and the baby's bottom that resulted makes the pen almost refuse to write. I called Vanness and he was really surprised, since Bexley have pretty famously good nibs. He's going to get back to me today regarding sending me a new nib and returning the old one. In the meantime it'll be using a delike XXF #5 steel nib.

I love the box it comes in, small, elegant, velvet lined with a cool notecard in the lid that explains the history of the design.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 14 December 2017 - 22:42.

Sponsored Content

|