The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Heeyy Chicago

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jandrews

jandrews

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Away
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:58

Edit: This might totally be the wrong place for this I realize, I just clicked the first board that seemed applicable and did not see the regional discussion section. Would a moderator move this or tell me how if need be? I feel stupid, I'm sorry

Hi all,

I get an error message when trying to search, so I apologize if this topic has been done and the info is out there.

I'm new to fountain pens, having tried to get a calligraphy hobby started a while ago and coming to the realization that I want to (should) clean up my regular penmanship first. Started to read/watch things online, researched what I should buy and...I'm sure you know how the story goes... 

What is cool around town? Any shops I should definitely hit, or stay away from? Has anyone taken a great workshop or class that they would recommend? Secret meetings going on at midnight in Graceland cemetery? Anything really.

I split my time between Skokie and North Center and have a car so anything within a reasonable (or unreasonable if it's awesome) distance is fair game. Looking forward to getting to know people on the forum.

Thanks!

josh

Edited by jandrews, 12 December 2017 - 06:41.

Sponsored Content

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 14:14

Josh;

The Chicago Pen Club meets on the third Sunday of the month (except not December) in Bartlett at 2PM at L2 Interactive, 792 W. Bartlett Road.  This is a little far for you.  I've tried to get a northeast area thing going.  There is a group that meets there in April before the Pen show.  The Chicago Pen Show is May 3-6 in Hoffman Estates at the Marriott Northwest.

Roger W.

#3 jandrews

jandrews

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Away
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 21:31

Josh;

The Chicago Pen Club meets on the third Sunday of the month (except not December) in Bartlett at 2PM at L2 Interactive, 792 W. Bartlett Road.  This is a little far for you.  I've tried to get a northeast area thing going.  There is a group that meets there in April before the Pen show.  The Chicago Pen Show is May 3-6 in Hoffman Estates at the Marriott Northwest.

Roger W.

Thanks! I put it into Waze and it's under an hour which isn't too bad in my mind for such niche thing I've decided to get nerdy about :) -- I hope things line up and I can get over there. Count me as a member (without any knowledge to contribute) if you get something going that's closer to home. 

ja

#4 jandrews

jandrews

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Away
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:00

I've been looking for somewhere in the area to buy pens and possibly have some nib work done. I read some old threads on FPN and it seems there are 2 stores downtown but nowhere that stocks anything but new pens or does any work on them.  My current project is to find an affordable vintage flex (or new that flexes like a vintage) pen and I'm wary of the sub $100 ones on ebay.  Is there somewhere in the suburbs that I'm missing in my internet search??

thanks,

josh

#5 displacermoose

displacermoose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:31

I'm in the NW suburbs. Don't know of any vintage places although the last time I visited Century Pens downtown they had a few in their extra special display case. Mostly Parkers if I remember correctly. Kinokuniya Chicago in Algonquin has a pen case with Sailor, Pilot, and Platinum as well as a fairly large selection of Lamy Safaris/AL Stars. They also have stationary selection and prices that are as good or better than Jetpens. Atlas Stationers on the North Loop has a decent pen selection as well as just being a really cool store.

Yet another Sarah.

#6 jandrews

jandrews

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Away
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:21

I'm in the NW suburbs. Don't know of any vintage places although the last time I visited Century Pens downtown they had a few in their extra special display case. Mostly Parkers if I remember correctly. Kinokuniya Chicago in Algonquin has a pen case with Sailor, Pilot, and Platinum as well as a fairly large selection of Lamy Safaris/AL Stars. They also have stationary selection and prices that are as good or better than Jetpens. Atlas Stationers on the North Loop has a decent pen selection as well as just being a really cool store.

Thanks for the info.

Love the name!

Sponsored Content

|