Wahl-Eversharp's Gold-Plated Ceramic Nib

nweissma

the latest Fountain Pen Hospital catalogue includes the Wahl-Eversharp Companys Skyline 100-Year Collection which features:

"semi-flex ceramic gold-plated stainless steel nib"

in what layer is the ceramic and how is the ceramic applied

what is the engineering purpose of the ceramic - is it synergistic with with gilded steel

is this the first historical instance of cramc being used in a nib

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Bo Bo Olson

• welch

• Honeybadgers

Who said it was semi-flex.....there are a lot of 'so called' semi-flex or "flex" nibs out there that are not even semi-flex.

It appears to me, that nibs that are only old regular flex are being sold as semi-flex.

What is odd is my ceramic knife....have one, had one before. Is unused because of the danger of it chipping.

Skeptical.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

the latest Fountain Pen Hospital catalogue includes the Wahl-Eversharp Companys Skyline 100-Year Collection which features:

"semi-flex ceramic gold-plated stainless steel nib"

in what layer is the ceramic and how is the ceramic applied

what is the engineering purpose of the ceramic - is it synergistic with with gilded steel

is this the first historical instance of cramc being used in a nib

Best to ask this question in the Wahl / Eversharp sub-forum. Sid Saperstein, the admin, leads the new Wahl-Eversharp.

I don't remember the story behind their ceramic nibs. Best to read what "The Wahl-nut" says. What little I remember: the nibs have some spring to them. They might be close to the soft nibs in the mid-40's Eversharp Skyline, but those were not intended to be full-scale flex nibs.(Eversharp might have made a few flex-nibbed Skylines, but the US market had almost no interest in flexible nibs...).

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

It was my understanding in the '30's Eversharp made flexible nibs and in the '40's semi-flexible...

There is a World of Difference between semi-flexible & "soft"....and I can't get over calling a semi-flex "soft" like it was some sort of mushy Japanese nib.

Yes it's softer than a nail, so is a regular flex!.....some times I wonder if the fabled soft Japanese gold nibs are just regular flex...and too few folks have a regular flex nibbed pen. Just like I wonder about semi-nail gold nibs being compared to steel nails (gold nails = exactly steel nails), for this myth of gold nibs being 'softer'.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Bo, you really do get sidetracked anytime anyone even mentions the word "flex" :P

We aren't talking about flex. We're talking about a bizzare alloy that likely doesn't exist.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Maybe it’s a high-tech kind of thing, but when’s the last time you tried to flex a teacup?

It was around the time I flexed my stainless steel cutlery and gold ring.

Flexibility is usually connected to the material, but depends on the specific composition, thickness, geometry, etc.

It's not ceramic, but willow glass is a type of glass that is flexible, yet glass is seen as being supple and brittle. Perhaps (and this is just speculation), a similar material was used for the nib.

Here's a review from nearly 5 years ago of a Wahl-Eversharp pen featuring the nib in question. Test-writing begins at about 10:38:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mrmiktXJE

I'll drop a couple of guesses in the box: the nib is stainless steel coated with ceramic, which is then deposited with gold. And I'll guess that the ceramic is silicon nitride.

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

OK, good semi-flex nib....surprised me. :blush:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

My wife bought one of those white "ceramic knives". It does flex a bit but it also chips. If you think about it, the line between glass and ceramic is fuzzy. There are examples of ceramic/metallic bonds in composites. Also, glass strand certainly bends. Just some casual thoughts; going to the source makes sense.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

I'm betting "ceramic gold" doesn't have much to do with ceramic and it's some sort of trade name.

I really, really want to know what it is.

Also, that pen, and nib, is awesome. I might want one now. I love my vintage Skyline. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...