The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,
Due to a continuing DDoS attack, and a hardware malfunction, FPN is moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with both issues, but unfortunately both take time. Until these both resolve, FPN will continue to be slow. ETA is not available yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Info On Flo-Eze Brilliant Carmine From Caldwell?

old 1920s brilliant carmine caldwell san francisco oakland

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 turtlefingers

turtlefingers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 17:40

Hello Everyone,

I recently was givien about 16 oz left over from a 32 oz bottle of this Flo-EZE Brilliant Carmine from Caldwell Ink Co. This bottle has a very old look to it, similar to the 1920's bottles. It says non corrosive and unaffected by steel pens. Does anyone have any information on such ink and the company before Caldwell became a printing company for present printers?

Is it ok to use on fountain pens?

The bottle states that it is from San Francisco and Oakland with a quote saying "Made in California under the most favorable climatic conditions in the world."

I looked all over online and not a single picture or clue to this type of ink.

Attached Images

• 24796785_10156132311364617_201503844958486060_n.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:35

Aside from the little tears, that label looks great, with nice bright colors.  Boy, I'd be sorely tempted to try out that ink!  Have you tested it with a dip pen or anything?

You might try contacting Pendemonium (http://www.pendemonium.com) and see if they know anything about it.  They've been buying and selling vintage ink bottles for a number of years.  Sam Fiorella, of the above webstore, is actually a member here, but I get the sense that she doesn't browse FPN very often, and probably won't see your post.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#3 turtlefingers

turtlefingers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:58

I cant seem to add another picture here but i did write with it. I used a cheap fountain pen just in case it clogs up the nib. Great color, almost peach with a slight red to it. 

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 21:45

Please show us some pictures this sounds great.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 21:48

How about asking the Company? Caldwell Ink Company

#6 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:33

Does anyone have any information on such ink and the company before Caldwell became a printing company for present printers?

How about asking the Company? Caldwell Ink Company

I think the present Caldwell is a recently-founded company, in Ontario Canada, which happens to have the same name.

Edited by Tweel, 29 December 2017 - 02:33.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#7 turtlefingers

turtlefingers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:09

I have tried to get in contact with Caldwell Ink Company but they are not interested or knowledgeable on this ink. I am assuming they are a different company from this bottle.

#8 turtlefingers

turtlefingers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

#9 turtlefingers

turtlefingers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

it also has particles possibly from the old rubber cap that kept the ink sealed in the bottle.

Edited by turtlefingers, 03 January 2018 - 01:24.

#10 turtlefingers

turtlefingers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:22

Hi Here is a picture of the ink used in a fountain pen. I was able to get a hold of someone who said that i should use caution with this ink for two reasons. 1. it is very old and may have particles that with jam up a pen. 2. it most likley was used with a dip pen. 

Sorry for the shadow

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: old, 1920s, brilliant carmine, caldwell, san francisco, oakland

Sponsored Content

|