Tiny Fountain Pens: Peter Pan, Welsharp, Eversharp Bantam, Eagle, Victapen, Superite, Conway Stewart

PenHero

Hello All,

Here is a Aikin Lambert Capital Cabinet Pen that Measures 4" long

with a warranted #2 nib.

IMG_3654_zps5lzl5apm.jpg

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• como

• spacecoastpenny

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a Fifth Avenue ten sided faceted fountain pen in a taupe pearl celluloid c. 1930s. This pen is not one of the Parker made Safford Pen Company Fifth Avenues. It has no imprint as the Safford pens do. Other similar examples to this one have clips also stamped Fifth Avenue. It's a 3 15/16 inch long lever fill fountain pen that uses marbled sheet celluloid that is rolled in a spiral to form a tube for the cap and barrel. The seam can be seen in the barrel. The black inner cap and the lever clip show through the translucent material. It's possible that the color was brighter and more pearlized when new. The trim is lightly gold plated and shows typical plating loss. The nib was gold plated stainless steel stamped FIFTH AVENUE and instead of tipping, the tine ends are stamped into a tipped shape. Price is unknown, but probably sold below $1.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WelshFifthAvenueTaupeMarbleMaster01a.jpg

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Youve probably heard more than enough from me about my ringtops, but Ive accumulated some absurdly tiny ones, and Im delighted to show them off.

Left to right, a 3 1/2 Conklin with an honest-to-Pete wet noodle nib; a sterling Mabie Todd with an Aikin Lambert dip nib; a white gold Wahl Eversharp with a wonderful Leroy Fairchild dip nib.

Then comes a wonderfully elegant little eyedropper with no markings, but a great writer; another no-name with a nice little Warranted nib; a Diamond Point eyedropper with a Midget nib the size of my cats claw; and two Peter Pans...the green ones a nail, but the gold-mounted one has a lovely little flex nib.

fpn_1557598298__6c1f6702-6a32-45cb-b30d-

Youve probably heard more than enough from me about my ringtops, but Ive accumulated some absurdly tiny ones, and Im delighted to show them off.

Left to right, a 3 1/2 Conklin with an honest-to-Pete wet noodle nib; a sterling Mabie Todd with an Aikin Lambert dip nib; a white gold Wahl Eversharp with a wonderful Leroy Fairchild dip nib.

Then comes a wonderfully elegant little eyedropper with no markings, but a great writer; another no-name with a nice little Warranted nib; a Diamond Point eyedropper with a Midget nib the size of my cats claw; and two Peter Pans...the green ones a nail, but the gold-mounted one has a lovely little flex nib.

fpn_1557598298__6c1f6702-6a32-45cb-b30d-

The last one, the gold overlay, is sweet! I was recently in a pen shop where the nice old sales lady was wearing a ring top fountain pen on her long necklace :) That's how it's supposed to be worn!

the black pen is an Omas Extra (555F/1930 size, 121mm)

(the other pen is an Omas Milord in grey celluloid)

fpn_1557609247__p1170332-3_omas_extra_55

Thats exactly how theyre supposed to be worn.

And thats how I wear them!

Ill wear one to the Emmys when they have the sense to nominate me.

BTW, I put some ink in that wee Peter Pan and its a surprisingly good writer, if you have small hands.

Edited by sidthecat

Hi, Folks!

This is a Salz Brothers Peter Pan ringtop fountain pen in what looks like painted blue mottle on black c. late 1920s. It's possible the finish has worn to this state. This 3 3/4 inch long pen features a band of four pairs of large and small flower appliques around the cap. The gold nib is stamped WARRANTED 14K. The lever is stamped SALZ and with the Salz Brothers logo on the tab. The Salz Brothers pen company had been making the tiny Peter Pan pens since about 1916 and continued until at least 1943. The early pens were hard rubber, transitioning to colorful plastics by 1924, based on advertisements. They sold for as little as $1.00 in 1924 and a complementing ribbon sautoir with a "silveroid" slide to fasten the pen was 50 cents. Many colors and decorations were made. The design was significantly changed in the 1930s.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SalzPeterPanBlueFlowers_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

And thats how I wear them!

Ill wear one to the Emmys when they have the sense to nominate me.

BTW, I put some ink in that wee Peter Pan and its a surprisingly good writer, if you have small hands.

:D :D :D And that's amazing that your gold overlay Peter Pan eyedropper is still working well. I have a couple of these overlay eyedroppers. One burps ink, and it has an over-under feed which is known to be unstable. I use it as a dip pen, very nice writer.

sansenri, your Omas Extra 555F seems very similar size to my Omas Dama Saft Green (measured at 12cm long). I think mine was inspired by Omas 1930 model. Unfortunately I've put it up for sale, as I hardly use it due to small size. But if I don't manage to sell it, I am also happy just to keep it. I really like the celluloid. Omas made beautiful pens.

the black pen is an Omas Extra (555F/1930 size, 121mm)

(the other pen is an Omas Milord in grey celluloid)

fpn_1557609247__p1170332-3_omas_extra_55

post-145678-0-28476900-1557695619_thumb.jpg

sansenri, your Omas Extra 555F seems very similar size to my Omas Dama Saft Green (measured at 12cm long). I think mine was inspired by Omas 1930 model. Unfortunately I've put it up for sale, as I hardly use it due to small size. But if I don't manage to sell it, I am also happy just to keep it. I really like the celluloid. Omas made beautiful pens.

fantastic! If I were you I would hold on to it dearly, great celluloid, the saft is one of my favourite colours.

I know the 1930 and the Dama are very small, but they make surprising pocket pens.

They also have very nice nibs usually.

I actually have a Dama from the earlier series which is even smaller than the 1930! (no picture of it though, yet)

fantastic! If I were you I would hold on to it dearly, great celluloid, the saft is one of my favourite colours.

I know the 1930 and the Dama are very small, but they make surprising pocket pens.

They also have very nice nibs usually.

I actually have a Dama from the earlier series which is even smaller than the 1930! (no picture of it though, yet)

Thank you, sansenri. I go through phases where I would put pens that I hardly use and mostly just look at for sale. Sometimes they were sold, and sometimes I changed my mind and put them back to collection again. It's one of these "pen relationships" things :-)

Omas nibs are my favourites, especially the older ones. Is your smaller Dama not a Princess model, the one with a ring top and measures a bit longer than 11cm?

no, its exactly identical in shape to a 1930 but just slightly smaller...

I'll take a photo sooner or later next to the 1930 (555F), Milord (556F) and Paragon (557F)

Hi, Folks!

This is a Welsharp tiny fountain pen in red marble c. late 1930s. The Welsh Manufacturing Company made pens and pencils under the Welsharp name in the 1930s and when it applied for a trademark around 1938, The Wahl Company, makers of Wahl and Eversharp pens and pencils, successfully opposed this use in a 1940 decision. This is not surprising especially since this particular line would compete with The Wahl Company's line of 3 3/4 inch long Bantam pens, made from about 1933 to 1940. The Salz Brothers pen company had been making the 3 inch long Peter Pan pens since about 1916 and continued until at least 1943. This very small 3 5/8 inch long pen dates to the late 1930s. They came in a variety of colors including solid cream, yellow, and green and marbled green, red, red and black and pink. It features a black stepped cap top and barrel end cap and normally a 14 karat gold plated stainless steel nib. This example has a replacement Parker Lucky Curve number 2 gold nib.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WelsharpPetiteRed_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

I got my greedy hands on an Omas ringtop: a lovely little Fine; worn in places but still a treasure. I took off the tassel, though, cause theyre silly.

fpn_1558200087__4e618f4a-2339-42de-aed9-

Omas from 1930's? I bet it's a nice nib. I really appreciate these old lever-filling pens, very easy to change the sac, and not much can go wrong. Congrats!

I got my greedy hands on an Omas ringtop: a lovely little Fine; worn in places but still a treasure. I took off the tassel, though, cause theyre silly.
fpn_1558200087__4e618f4a-2339-42de-aed9-

no, its exactly identical in shape to a 1930 but just slightly smaller...

I'll take a photo sooner or later next to the 1930 (555F), Milord (556F) and Paragon (557F)

Thank you. I had thought that all Dama models were the same size, so I've learned something new today. These little pens are perfect when posted, which is similar to Yard-O-Led pocket size and Montblanc Mozart model, both are perfect posted. Though I don't post pens as a rule, once in a while I post the Omas Dama just to admire its great proportion :)

I remember another smallish pen I have (also not often used): Delta Dolcevita Mini. Just over 11cm but not particularly thin at section. A fun, happy but still serious looking pen very suitable for its name :)

post-145678-0-70194300-1558425375_thumb.jpg

post-145678-0-71318700-1558425389_thumb.jpg

Nice thread.

I have a few tiny pens: a "Peggy" pen (that's ~5cm), a gold-filled EHCO (6.5 cm) and a Peter Pan (8.5 cm). All three are eyedroppers and great writers with flex nibs. I also have some small piston fillers, and of course Kaweco Sport and Liliput.

The black Peter Pan is currently inked with ESSRI: it can hold 1.5ml of ink and writes like a dream. Very comfortable posted too.

The gold-filled EHCO is a very odd one: it is an eyedropper, but seeminlgly you need to remove piston and nib to fill it. It's got an open back end, and I'd like to think that it might be possible that it were filled through the back, perhaps having a plug, and that perhaps the plug might have been lost and the back sealed (it looks like wax, but is most likely just aged ebonite).

The red mottled hard rubber Peggy Pen is the tiniest, with a flex nib, missing the ringtop, which leaves a hole on the cap end. I only tested the nib, and I'm waiting for a suitable solution to close the cap end gap to start using it, as I suspect it will be a delice.

The piston fillers are german pens of about ~10cm. Great writers too.

I have big hands, but find no problem using tiny pens. I actually enjoy them.

The links above are only worth while the listings last in the ended auctions list. So do not complain if they stop working

I will post some pics when I get back home.

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.