Tiny Fountain Pens: Peter Pan, Welsharp, Eversharp Bantam, Eagle, Victapen, Superite, Conway Stewart

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is a Welsharp tiny fountain pen in green marble c. late 1930s. The Welsh Manufacturing Company made pens and pencils under the Welsharp name in the 1930s and when it applied for a trademark around 1938, The Wahl Company, makers of Wahl and Eversharp pens and pencils, successfully opposed this use in a 1940 decision. This is not surprising especially since this particular line would compete with The Wahl Company's line of 3 3/4 inch long Bantam pens, made from about 1933 to 1940. The Salz Brothers pen company had been making the 3 inch long Peter Pan pens since about 1916 and continued until at least 1943. This very small 3 11/16 inch long pen dates to the late 1930s. They came in a variety of colors including solid cream, yellow, and green and marbled green, red, red and black and pink. It features a black stepped cap top and barrel end cap and a 14 karat gold plated stainless steel nib. The nib has no tipping, relying instead on a punched or pressed dimple in the end of the tines to act as the point.
Let's show our tiny fountain pens - consider this a start!
http://penhero.com/Temp/WelsharpPetiteGreen_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• como

• spacecoastpenny

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to collect Bantams heavily, and I still keep my eyes open for them from time to time.

bantams.jpg

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

These are truly tiny. Also pretty nice, if they weren't so small that no one can use them. EHCO (Eggens). The black one has a barrel mark EHCO Junior. The other two are marked gold filled and sterling, with the EHCO oval logo. Nice tiny 14K nibs.

fpn_1513055551__tiny_01.jpg

fpn_1513055557__tiny_02.jpg

fpn_1513055565__tiny_03.jpg

Here is a Nupoint. In the exact same sized box as the EHCO Junior pens above. It is a Long/Short variety.

fpn_1513055914__tiny_04.jpg

fpn_1513055929__tiny_05.jpg

fpn_1513055946__tiny_06.jpg

fpn_1513055959__tiny_07.jpg

All I know is what Richard Binder taught me on his web site!

Eggens-Hambler

(Eggens-Hambler Company, Inc.) A pen manufacturing company with offices in New York City and manufacturing facilities in Elizabeth, New Jersey; founded in 1922 by John H. Eggens and William C. Hambler, both of whom were former employees of L. E. Waterman. In 1926, the company offices moved to Newark, New Jersey. Eggens-Hambler produced primarily lever fillers of moderate quality, including some models with sterling silver or gold-filled overlays; a few miniature pens are also known. The company also jobbed pens to other companies, sometimes with nibs imprinted ehco as were the nibs in its own pens. At some point, Hambler left the company, which thereupon began producing pens of a better quality that were marked with only Eggens’ name. The company failed sometime in the mid-1930s; in 1935, its securities were declared worthless.

The Nupoint pen is in a nearly identical box. It appears to be from the same era, but I don't know anything about it. I just liked it! I see other Nupoint pens from time to time that are usually small. But they also made some flat top pens that look like Sheaffer flat tops.

Edited by Greenie

Here’s some Peter Pans. ED’s and lever fills from the 1920’s or earlier. Spectacular, full flex nibs.

fpn_1410633785__salz_blupeterpan_-_2.jpg

fpn_1513107204__peter_pan_blk_ed_-_4.jpg

fpn_1513107110__burgndy_peter_pan_ed_-_0

fpn_1513107000__rt_peterpan_ed_-_4.jpg

fpn_1513106922__peterpan_harlequin_-_6.j

fpn_1513106797__peterpan_all_metal_ovrly

fpn_1513106744__peter_pan_blk_ed_-_6.jpg

fpn_1513106684__peterpan_yllw-bluflwrs_-

fpn_1513106636__peter_pan_rhr_ed_-_1.jpg

fpn_1513106534__peterpan_ed_1.jpg

fpn_1513106383__ptrpnovrly4.jpg

Edited by DanDeM

No pix yet (the weather isn't conducive to getting good images on my phone, especially this close to the Winter Solstice), but I've got a couple of minis. One is an Arnold that I got on eBay a few years ago because it was cute. And very yellow (it's weird -- I don't normally like the color, but I like bright yellow flowers and [some] bright yellow pens).

The other is what I THINK is a Welsharp (but there's no ID on the pen, just on the nib). But IIRC, the clip and cap band look really similar to those on the photo PenHero posted.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And then there’s this hard to find Grieshaber painted overlay,

fpn_1513109774__greishaber_all_metal_pai

and some good looking no-names,

fpn_1513109820__noname_lapis_rt_-_5.jpg

fpn_1513109855__silver_overlay_-_4.jpg

fpn_1513109896__noname_lapis_golf_pp_-_2

all three inches or less.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Superite Junior gold filled wave panel design ringtop tiny fountain pen c. 1923-1924. Superite was the pen and pencil brand of the De Witt–La France Company, founded by William P. De Witt and David J. La France in Cambridge, Massachusetts about 1918. The company made metal pens and pencils similar to the more well known Wahl Eversharp designs from the same period. There is limited information about the company, but they did patent improvements to the clip and lever fill mechanism that helps date certain products. This 3 9/16 inch long pen has SUPERITE JR over 1/20 GOLD FILLED PAT. PEND. on the barrel near the section threads. The lever mechanism patent for this pen was applied for March 22, 1923 and granted April 15, 1924, so the patent pending mark would date the pen about 1923 to 1924. These pens can be found with Superite and S stamped gold nibs. This one has a Warranted 14 karat gold flexible oblique.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SuperiteRingtop_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an EPENCO blue marble tiny fountain pen c. late 1930s, possibly a part of the EPENCO Elfin line of midget pens and pencils. This 4 3/16 inch long pen is unmarked except for the gold plated stainless steel nib stamped EPENCO N.Y. The gold plated clip follows the design of other EPENCO models, though without the PATD marking at the top. The Elfin line is shown in the Eagle Pencil Company 1937 catalog and came in fountain pens, pencils and pen-pencil combinations. Pen and pencil sets sold for 50 cents packaged in a paperboard box and pen-pencil combinations sold for 25 cents off of counter cards. Both came in a variety of solid and marbled celluloid pyralin colors, not all documented in the catalog. Eagle registered the EPENCO trademark on October 17, 1911.
http://penhero.com/Temp/EpencoElfinBlue_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Welsh small fountain pen and pencil combo in black celluloid c. late 1930s. The Welsh Manufacturing Company made pens and pencils under their own name as well as Welsharp. This very small 4 1/2 inch long combo dates to the late 1930s. They also came in a variety of solid and marbled colors. It features a beveled cap top, all gold plated trim, a 14 karat gold plated stainless steel nib stamped WELSH MFG. CO. over STAINLESS over PROVIDENCE over R.I. The nib has no tipping, relying instead on a punched or pressed dimple in the end of the tines to act as the point. The gold plating has worn off the nib. There are no barrel imprints.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WelshBlackCombo_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Favorite tiny fountain pen and pencil combo in blue and plum marbled celluloid c. late 1930s. The patent clip is very similar to those used on Eagle sub-brand pens and the size is similar to Eagle's Elfin brand tiny pens. The cap and barrel have eight facets and the marbled celluloid is wrapped at an angle. This very small 4 1/8 inch long combo has FAVORITE stamped on the clip and the gold plated nib. The trim has a light gold plating that is easily worn off. There are no barrel imprints. Elfin combos sold for 25 cents in 1937.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/FavoriteBluePlumMarbleCombo_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Here is a Century Durapoint. It measures 3 1/8" long capped.

From my readings Century had a connection to Parker.

I am guessing this one to be from the 20's.

IMG_E3649_zpshhucc2py.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/radiosailor/IMG_E3651_zpssahz2wk7.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/radiosailor/IMG_E3652_zpsf1ee7wnc.jpg

spacecoastbanner_FP.png