Experimenting With Flex Nibs

Hamletta

I'm fairly new to pens but love the way writing looks with flexible nibs. I normally like m or b nibs anyway, so I am tempted to try a wet noodle -- but I'm not sure what would be a good, not horribly expensive, starter pen. I don't think any modern pen will work -- I tried Noodler, but either I don't know what I'm doing or it's hardly flexible at all... Any recommendations?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hamletta

• Bo Bo Olson

• Ink_Chick

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

For experimentation, try a dip nib. It will give you an idea if you like he whole flex movement as you write. If you’re interested in trying, I have a few suggestions on my blog. Check out Pen Basics and the posts on Using a Steel Pen.

https://thesteelpen.com/2017/11/18/the-steel-pen-table-of-contents/

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Well I've found my noodlers needed a few weeks break in and it was a tad easier to use. You can also mod the nib to get alot of flex though I have not tried it. I looked into flex nibs and anything"wet noodle" from a reliable source is well over $200.

I'd say try dip nibs first and then decide if you want to sink the money into wet noodle fountian pens. I will admit I've found flex nibs a bit over rated for my personal preference. I'm sure others will chime in who understand it alot better then myself.

Noodlers is a flexible nib that requires a lot of pressure.........I have a lot of pens, and think the pressure needed to flex a Noodler's Ahab is semi-flex pressure. For flexible nibs that is a lot.

You should have the Ahab Mod made to your nib or buy a modified nib from Pendelton Brown, that will make your Noodler's nib really a superflex nib, at the first stage of superflex, Easy Full Flex.

My Ahab sat in the box, until then. Then for a year it was always out. Can't keep it out all the time there are other pens waiting.

With the Ahab Mod....two little half moons cut out of the side to the nib, it became a fun nib.

For real superflex.......dip pens.....I have Hunt 99-100-101 nibs that are so flexible they make a Wet Noodle look uncooked.

Superflex ratings.....

Easy full flex (have a hand full)

Wet Noodle (Have 3)

Weak Kneed Wet Noodle. (0 and not chasing in it's too much nib for me........ :unsure: why I'd have to learn to write with such a nib.... :P )

Do try dip pen nibs.....not every one is flex in the cup if there's an earthquake in California like the Hunt 99-100-101 or nibs I don't have the Gillette :lticaptd: 303/404.....some are 'only' Wet Noodle.

Some are stiff too, the Ornamental stiff nibs.

Zebra G is well liked as a nib with some flex, but not a lot.

PS....it really helps to hold a fountain pen behind the big index finger knuckle, instead of before it like a ball point.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back!

I played with a dip pen and enjoyed the experience -- loved the Hunt 101 nib especially. Still need to learn to write with them properly, especially on the up strokes because the nibs are too scratchy (or my hand is...). But first I'll concentrate on not spilling all the ink on my desk... That would be would be a good first step... :lticaptd:

While dip pens are fun, I'm mostly using my pens for large quantity of writing so need something permanently inked. I've worked in my Ahab to the point where it's acceptable, if still not what I'd consider good. I basically forced the nib, which I'd never do with a pen I actually cared about but it was either this or the thrash can... Now it's got a whole lot wetter, even if I can't really see as much flex as I'd like.

I'm also playing with Lamy Safari 1.1 nib, which I got just to see how I'd like a stub. I like the "stubby" part, but I should probably go for a broader nib to really see the effect. I do like to write big and see the ink...

I'm now waiting for a Waterman 52 to arrive -- that should give me a better taste of flex. And I'm eyeing a nice Parker Duofold with a broad stub nib... Hopefully then I'll be able to decide if I prefer flex or stub... And hopefully before I go bust on all those pens! :rolleyes:

I recently purchased a John Holland dip pen and am really looking forward to the experience. Thanks to Lindsey Bugbee’s very informative blog, The Postman’s Knock, I opted for a small bottle of Dr. Ph Martin’s Bombay India Ink to try with my new pen (it’s on its way to it’s new home as we speak!).

If you have a Swiss round file or a Dremil, you can grind little half moons in your Ahab; the 'Ahab Mod'. It will make the nib superflex....first stage, which I call Easy Full Flex.

So very much easier than the hard semi-flex pressure it takes to flex an Ahab.

Before I had that done to my Ahab, it sat in the pen box....afterwards I had it out for about a year....but all pens need time off. :) I do have other pens with Degussa steel nibs that have that flex rating.

Do look up 'Ahab Mod' in one of the two pen sections.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If you have a Swiss round file or a Dremil, you can grind little half moons in your Ahab; the 'Ahab Mod'. It will make the nib superflex....first stage, which I call Easy Full Flex.

So very much easier than the hard semi-flex pressure it takes to flex an Ahab.

Before I had that done to my Ahab, it sat in the pen box....afterwards I had it out for about a year....but all pens need time off. :) I do have other pens with Degussa steel nibs that have that flex rating.

Do look up 'Ahab Mod' in one of the two pen sections.

Hmmm... I may have to ask my niece if I can use that Noodler’s Ahab I gave her.

Hope your 52 is flexible! Plenty aren't!

Sometimes you can luck out on eBay, but it takes a lot of waiting and watching. My first and best wet noodle was a Watermans 12PSF which was only around $55, and my second noodle was an unnamed thing with a generic warranted 14CT that cost me a princely £5! It looked a right mess, but resacking it, an hour of cleaning it up and away it went!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

My first and best wet noodle was a Watermans 12PSF which was only around $55, and my second noodle was an unnamed thing with a generic warranted 14CT that cost me a princely £5! It looked a right mess, but resacking it, an hour of cleaning it up and away it went!

Now, that's some good pricing! I wasn't that lucky...

The descrtition said it was very flexible, so fingers crossed... It's been stuck in customs since before Christmas...