Scrip Cartridges Half Empty

mke

I have a received some classic scrip cartridges (THESE - not THESE).

However, they were stored many, many years and now are half empty. Does anybody of you have recently bought ones and could measure until where they are filled?

The whole cartridge - I mean the ink part - measures 5 cm.

On Amazon Japan some greedy sellers offer a pack of 5 for 160 USD. LINK

There are cheaper ones - but still a pack of 5 costs at least 20 USD.

Thanks.

Michael

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• tamiya

• mke

• Argee

Top Posters In This Topic

The cartridges started out almost completely full. To use one of the old ones install it in a pen to pierce the end, remove the cartridge from the pen, fill it almost full with water using a syringe, and reinstall it in the pen.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Skrip carts have barely any air bubble in them when new; you can reconstitute back to full no issues.

I scored a bunch of Skrip carts from Fort Madison era recently, yeah they were all down to about half. I'd guess they're going on at least 30yo? So many different colours then, got at least 8 shades if not more.

Don't forget to save the cartridges, and refill with your favorite fountain pen ink, using the same technique. Critical : Use the syringe. Do NOT squeeze the cartridge ! They crack easily.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have bought a number of regular and slim Sheaffer cartridges recently. Usually I just extract the existing ink remnant, flush the cartridge and use the ink I want. Where reds and purples attack ink sacs, I use the cartridges to hold red or purple ink. I am not sure I trust the old ink. You can claim the old ink will be safe, but all it takes is one with mold or some other junk. If the water dries up and penetrates the cartridge wall going out, who is to say what came in to replace it? Could be moldy air..

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

A vintage pen dealer friend sent me a large box full of cartridges (classic Scrip, Parker and Cross) as gift. Havent used any of them as yet.

Khan M. Ilyas

Not sure I'd fill those half full cartridges all the way. I did that with some red cartridges and ended up with pink.

PS - hence "Mr. Pink"

Edited by Charles Rice

If you do fill, distilled water is better. I wouldn't worry about mold if the liquid is fluid. However, I miht not put a reconstituted cartridge in a super expensive or rare pen either. Check it with something else first. I've used reconstitued Skrip Washable blue from bottles without any issues.

I've taken to filling the dried cartridges with similar colored modern Skrip. Gives me extra dense ink I suppose. Haven't had any issues with it as of yet. Any reason this is a bad idea?

I have some Skrip Peacock Blue and Emerald Green cartridges that are almost completely dried out. I would have no hesitation in piercing them and refilling them to almost full with distilled water if I wanted to use them.

I have some Skrip Peacock Blue and Emerald Green cartridges that are almost completely dried out. I would have no hesitation in piercing them and refilling them to almost full with distilled water if I wanted to use them.

I have done this with the red cartridges. I keep my inks out of the basement. The nice old colors of Sheaffer's ink are beautiful, and they remind me of things past.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have done this with the red cartridges. I keep my inks out of the basement. The nice old colors of Sheaffer's ink are beautiful, and they remind me of things past.

was mucking thru my stash the other day & noticed there's one labelled "grey" :)