Platinum Cartridge Intl Adapter: Blue And Black Inks To Try?

tvradio

As a newbie I'm experimenting with cheap fountain pens: so far I have a Platinum Preppy (F), a Pilot Varsity (M), and a Pilot Penmanship (EF). Overall I prefer the Fine nib in the Preppy but I don't like the washed-out blue cartridge it came with. As I continue my FP journey I'll eventually look into the mind-boggling array of bottled ink choices but for now I'd like to stick with the convenience of pre-filled international cartridges I can use with the $2 Platinum cartridge adapter (which is in my Shopping Cart right now).

I use a variety of paper, from Post It notes to cheap Mead spiral notebooks to Rhodia pads, so I'm not sure if there's a type of ink to avoid or look towards. Since I'm a leftie I assume that a faster-drying ink would be preferable, though.

Aside from a deeper, bluer blue, I'm really liking the solid black in the Pilot Penmanship (though the EF nib may be a little too EF for me), so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me towards some appropriate blue and black preloaded international cartridges to consider that would fit in the Preppy. (And if there any catridges to stay away from, too.)

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• sandy101

• MsRedpen

• bluebellrose

You may take a look at Diamine cartridges line, quite wide selection of colours (their blue black comes to mind as deep, nice blue).

I would stay away from Majestic blue in Preppy, the feed did not cope well with it...

Otherwise, you can also syringe fill cartridges with ink from any bottle or sample vial.

Platinum blue black can look pale initially, but with time it darkens being a light IG. Use it for the envelopes as a water resistant ink.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Thanks. I was looking at Diamine's Blue Black and Oxford Blue cartridges....

Any suggestions for a pre-filled cartridge that's a nice black-black? Searching GouletPens I see standard international cartridges for Pelikan Pearl Black, Visconti Black and Kaweco Brilliant Black.

I second the recommendation to try refilling cartridges with bottled ink. Not only is this easy, but it’s much less expensive than buying cartridges, and allows you to use all available bottled inks. There is a Goulet Pens video on how to do this, and all you need is a syringe and a filling needle both of which are available from websites that supply fountain pens supplies ( less than $5.00 from Penchalet, Jetpens, and Goulet Pens, just to name 3).

J.Herbin’s Perle Noire is black-black and available in int’l cartridges!

Second choice, if pre-filled is a must, Pelikan 4001 brilliant black.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

I second the recommendation to try refilling cartridges with bottled ink.

Thanks, as a newbie I'd prefer the portable convenience and uninked hands associated with cartridges! For the time being, at least. If this experiment works out and I'm sufficiently happy with the Platinum nib the next step would be something like getting a Platinum Plaisir and looking into bottled inks after that.

This week has the next meeting of the Big Apple Pen Club, and I suspect I will be able to try some other, non cheapo pens and nibs, so this is all subject to change. But at the very least, if I'm going to keep using the Preppy I'd like to at least try some other inks with the international adapter.

J.Herbin’s Perle Noire is black-black and available in int’l cartridges!

Second choice, if pre-filled is a must, Pelikan 4001 brilliant black.

Thanks. I'll check those out too!

I like Diamine's 1864 Blue black - it comes in their 150th Anniversary edition - and comes in international standard cartridges now.

Thanks. I tend to like my blacks black and my blues blue though. Not that I'm consistent - I like Green-Black and Brown-Black, so go figure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Visconti's blue is a pretty true blue.

Caran d'Ache's idyllic blue is the same.

Montblanc's Royal blue is anice vibrant blue - king of Royal Blues imho.

Blacks

Pelikan's Brilliant Black is a class act - but it doesn't play nicely with all pens - not sure if it'll work well with the Platinum.

Platinum's Black is decent enough though.

The preppy will not take long international cartridges. They will fit - just but it's too tight - the cartridge will rupture, eventually.

I don't know the """cheap Mead spiral notebooks""" in I live in Germany, but the better paper you use the better an ink will dance.

Rhoda is very good paper.

There is some sort of Brazilian paper sold at Staples I think, that has a reputation of being good cheap paper.......someone in the States can help more than I can.

For every three bottles of ink you buy, you should buy some good to better paper.

90g laser printing paper costs twice the cheap 80g copy paper, and is worth it.....you don't have to stick it in your printer. A ream of that can last ages......It will if the ink is a shading ink, give you two toned shading. I really like shading. There are vivid monotone supersaturated inks, two toned shading inks....and new the last three years inks with sheen, if you have good papers.

Glitter inks are new too, and do better with a wider nib....that you can get later.

There is no hurry.....sometime before 2019 would do just fine. B)

.....there are free templates that allow you to print lines on the better paper......and you can vary the widths.....collage width for narrow Japanese nibs...wider for M nibs, and even wider once you get a B nib. That way you are not cramping a nib by using too narrow a line.

Western nibs are designed for cursive, so are wider than Japanese nibs which are designed for small printed Japanese script.

If you only print, then Japanese is good to go....if you do Cursive some day wider nibs will be a joy.

Never ever use Ink Jet paper....it is designed to absorb ink jet ink rapidly and feathers with fountain pen ink.

Combo papers Laser and Ink Jet must have a compromise, yet I find packs of Southworth papers to be OK. You can look at them as a good paper.

100%-50% cotton are nice to write on.....BUT......feather or give you a woolly line.

Hopefully some stateside guys will tell you of nice paper.

Even back in the day of B&W TV, cartridges were expensive....and still are. You can order a rubber needle syringe from Goulett(sp) to fill cartridges again.

Even expensive inks.....like MB is cheaper to refill than to buy cartridges..............yes there are lots of even more expensive Japanese inks.....but Pelikan, R&K, or Kaweco bottles are cheap and a good start.....will shade also.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The preppy will not take long international cartridges. They will fit - just but it's too tight - the cartridge will rupture, eventually.

This $2 adapter will let you use "standard international cartridges" - but I'm not sure what sizes fit in the preppy once the adapter is installed.

Waterman make longer cartridges that have the same fitting as their shorter siblings.

Diamine, Visconti, Caran d'Ache, J. Herbin, Graf Von Faber Castell, Kaweco, Montblanc and Pelikan all make International Standard Cartridges - these will fit the preppy.

Waterman and Pelikan also make longer international standard cartridges - which will not fit in the preppy because the barrel is too short.

Edited by sandy101

This $2 adapter will let you use "standard international cartridges" - but I'm not sure what sizes fit in the preppy once the adapter is installed.

Answering my own question, according to GouletPens, which also sells this adapter, "This adapter allows you to use standard international short cartridges"

So I think I'm going to go for one and then try some other (presumably better) inks.

I don't know the """cheap Mead spiral notebooks""" in I live in Germany, but the better paper you use the better an ink will dance.

I know, but sometimes you have to use what you have. Here's what I was referring to: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9U2EM8

Edited by tvradio

Thanks, as a newbie I'd prefer the portable convenience and uninked hands associated with cartridges! For the time being, at least. If this experiment works out and I'm sufficiently happy with the Platinum nib the next step would be something like getting a Platinum Plaisir and looking into bottled inks after that.

This week has the next meeting of the Big Apple Pen Club, and I suspect I will be able to try some other, non cheapo pens and nibs, so this is all subject to change. But at the very least, if I'm going to keep using the Preppy I'd like to at least try some other inks with the international adapter.

You can also refill with a syringe. If you have access to a Daiso, Syringes can be found in the cosmetic section. Save the cartridge and refill till the cart gives way and dies . I'm a newbie too. That's what I'm currently planning. Will be grabbing a plasir next. I grabbed a hello kitty Preppy for the capped carts. Then saving the caps for future platinum carts. Will be nice having a cart ready to go prefilled. If you have a steady hand you can do it easily. How about the Platinum Carbon black? It comes in cartridges and is what you are probably looking for.

I haven't tried Platinum Carbon on those cheapo notebooks yet.

Edited by bluebellrose

Thanks, but like I said for now I'd like to stick with the convenience of pre-filled cartridges and ink-free fingers :) and not open the Pandora's box of evaluating the even larger variety of bottled inks.

Edited by tvradio

Thanks, but like I said for now I'd like to stick with the convenience of pre-filled cartridges and ink-free fingers :) and not open the Pandora's box of evaluating the even larger variety of bottled inks.

easy fix for that. Disposable gloves. Reuse until holely

:D For now I'd rather carry around an extra cartridge than an ink bottle and some gloves.