Ultra Violet Is Pantone 2018 Color Of Year

Pensei

Different people may assign different degrees of cultural and artistic importance to this, but the comments on the page linked are not uninteresting.

My question: which commercially available fountain pen ink do you think is closest to the color they have selected (18-3838)? Will you seek it out? Seems like as good a motivation to find a new ink as most!

Sorry if already posted. I searched.

https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2018

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Pensei

• chromantic

• martinbir

Top Posters In This Topic

a purple leaning blue perhaps?

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My gut reaction would possibly be one of these:
Noodler's Brexit

J Herbin Poussiere de Lune

Organics Studio Mark Twain Halley's Comet Blue

Robert Oster Purple Rock

(maybe) Kyoto TAG Soft Snows of Ohara

(maybe) one of the Robert Oster "Purple [Rock/Soul/Jazz]" inks (I haven't tried them all yet).

(maybe) KWZI Grey Plum

Mind you, it's night, and incandescent light does funny things to color -- plus, I'm leafing through ink journals, and the Piccadilly paper often does wonky things to the ink colors. It seems to me that Pantone "Ultra Violet" is not only blue leaning, but also possibly grey leaning (and on my screen the color looks flat -- almost chalky -- rather than a vibrant purple). But it's definitely an *interesting* and complex color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

"A dramatically provocative and thoughtful purple shade, PANTONE 18-3838 Ultra Violet communicates originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking that points us toward the future."

OMG! Talk about an MBA buzzword babble-fest. This is what happens when you put the marketing department in charge. It's just a color.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Diamine Lilac Satin is pretty close ...

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

It's just a color.

Did you wander into the wrong forum?

Just kidding.

Thanks for the replies. I have F-C Violet Blue and Robert Oster Purple Rock, both of which I like, but I don't think they are the color displayed. Not that it matters. I love a lot of colors in this range.

UV is invisible part of spectrum to human eyes, isn't it? :P

Yes, that's true. Obviously, in common parlance, the term is now associated with a visible color.

Noodler's Kung Te Cheng?

Nope. Too dark.

@ effrafax -- I considered Lilac Satin because I have it in a pen at the moment, but I wasn't sure if the shimmer element would affect how it would appear in comparison to the Pantone swatch. OTOH, now that I think of it, the new Shimmer ink Arabian Nights might also be a good match (I don't have that so I can't tell for sure).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hello Pensei,

Check out Monteverde Purple Mist...

https://shop.monteverdepens.com/30ml-fountain-pen-ink-bottle-purple-mist.html

https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2018

Good luck. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to add Pantone link.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Looking at the past Colors of the Year (in the linked page), do you think they just tacked swatches on the wall and threw a dart to determine the winners?

This is wrong. This odd Company is like the story of the Emperors new clothes. They chose colors which are fine for some uses and then convince product designers and manufacturers to produce products in that color.

Yes, it's a good ink color. No, it's not a good color for rucksacks, or dresses, or coffee mugs. And the complimentary colors they identify are hideous. Also the verbiage they use to describe colors is preposterous. Additionally, many of the colors are simply ugly in many applications.

Looking at the past Colors of the Year (in the linked page), do you think they just tacked swatches on the wall and threw a dart to determine the winners?

Would that not be as good a way as any?

Bearing in mind that all screens look different, all eyes perceive differently, the impossibility of matching projected and reflected colours and the effects of ambient lighting - the closest I have is Diamine Violet, add a little grey to soften it and it should be about there. Most of my contenders were too red, such as Poussière de Lune suggested above - interesting how the eye is confused (or maybe just I am confused).

Can't we just go back to Avocado and Harvest Gold?