The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Guider Pen Works - Handmade Fountain Pens

ebonite indian fountain pens handmade

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gopool

gopool

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 20:01

This morning I had a very pleasant conversation with Mr Rao of Guider Pen works on WhatsApp. I've always loved his pens and wanted to get a few for Christmas. He sent me lots of pictures of his current pens and I would like to share it with the wider community. 

IMG-20171208-_WA000.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA001.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA002.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA003.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA004.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA005.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA006.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA007.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA008.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA009.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA011.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA012.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA013.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA014.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA015.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA016.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA020.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA021.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA022.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA023.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA025.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA026.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA027.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA028.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA029.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA030.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA031.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA032.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA033.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA036.jpg

Edited by gopool, 09 December 2017 - 20:04.

Sponsored Content

#2 gopool

gopool

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 20:03

A few more photos

IMG-20171208-_WA037.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA038.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA039.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA040.jpg

IMG-20171208-_WA041.jpg

IMG-20171209-_WA005.jpg

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:38

So, which ones have you shortlisted?

Mr. Rao is super enthusiastic and it is always a pleasure to interact with him.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 shamkashyap

shamkashyap

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:00

Those double sided pens seem very interesting!

Every man who repeats the dogma of Mill that one country is no fit to rule another country must admit that one class is not fit to rule another class.

B R Ambedkar

#5 gopool

gopool

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:58

So, which ones have you shortlisted?

Mr. Rao is super enthusiastic and it is always a pleasure to interact with him.

I ended up getting these five pens. Mr Rao gave me a great deal and they were the most different from the pens already in my collection

IMG-20171209-_WA005.jpg

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:06

Nice. Enjoy!
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#7 Olga-F

Olga-F

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:44

Nice pens! Is it possible to contact Mr.Rao using email? Please write his address.

#8 gopool

gopool

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:45

Nice pens! Is it possible to contact Mr.Rao using email? Please write his address.

I've only contacted Mr Rao by WhatsApp. With that said, Guider does have a website with a number of email address listed (http://guiderpen.com/contactus.asp), but like I've said I only use WhatsApp.

#9 Olga-F

Olga-F

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 18:38

gopool, thank You!

#10 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:34

he is amazing... always pleasure to deal with

#11 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:39

I've only contacted Mr Rao by WhatsApp. With that said, Guider does have a website with a number of email address listed (http://guiderpen.com/contactus.asp), but like I've said I only use WhatsApp.

Sadly they do no respond to mails, despite having three different ones!

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#12 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 17:58

I love the little stubby pen on the right - together with its slightly bigger golden-toned brother. Does that model have a name?

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#13 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:08

Sadly they do no respond to mails, despite having three different ones!

Try this Gmail address guiderpen@gmail.com Or his WhatsApp no. 91 9390163779

He is sure to respond. I find that he likes to interact. All the best.

#14 sniyogy

sniyogy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:23

I visited Mr. Rao yesterday, along with my son and brother-in-law. We drove down a distance of about 200KM to Rajahmundhri from Vishakapatnam, which is where my in-laws stay. I had contacted him earlier and asked him for a suitable time to visit. The shop itself is located in a crowded part of the town, very close to the Godavari.

We received a warm welcome and Mr. Rao told us that we could look around at the back where one of his workshops is located. We watched an employee making pens on a lathe. He let my son, who is 11 and very interested in fountain pens, look at the raw materials and half finished pen parts. He also showed how each of the parts were made. We saw several Onyxes in green rippled ebonite and acrylic being made.

Mr. Rao then meticulously showed us all the models he had in stock and also some of the antique pens he had from long back. One of the pens he showed was a silver plated pen with a gold conical nib which was dated 1948. He also showed the biggest (18in long) which is a two sided pen and looks more like a police baton, to the smallest, which is about an inch and a half in length. He also narrated the history of the business started by his father. His assistant brought out a couple of cardboard boxes the size of shoe boxes filled with pen parts, some of them really, really old. He also generously fixed a pen with a German nib unit, which I had presented to my father-in-law some months back, and which was was suffering from flow problems.

I made a selection of several pens for myself, son and friends and was about to leave when Mr. Rao stopped us asked where we thought we were going! It was lunchtime and he demanded we have lunch with him. He took my son along with him and went shopping for things to take back home to Vizag, and to give my son a tour of the famous Godavari river and the one-time longest bridge in Asia. He then proceeded to take us upstairs to his home where his wife, while taking care of their 2 year old grandson, served us a lavish and hearty lunch. Only then were we allowed to depart! I have never met such a generous person like Mr. Rao, who would open up so wonderfully to strangers. I shall remember this visit for a long time.

#15 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:42

Lovely post, sniyogy! Glad to know you have already got your youngster interested in fountain pens, too.

Is your in-laws' town the Vizagapatam where all those little inlaid boxes and pieces of furniture used to be made (for all I know, still are)? I have a couple of such boxes holding some of my pens.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#16 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,032 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:50

Try this Gmail address guiderpen@gmail.com Or his WhatsApp no. 91 9390163779

He is sure to respond. I find that he likes to interact. All the best.

Thank you Hari - nice to have you back.

I did use their gmail, but no response. I do not have whatsapp.

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#17 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:09

Thank you Hari - nice to have you back.

I did use their gmail, but no response. I do not have whatsapp.

Thank you so much, yes it feels nice to be back.

Pls feel free to email me to the address in my signature, I dont check PMs, I will write to Mr Rao to see why he is not able to receive/respond to your emails.

#18 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:19

...I shall remember this visit for a long time.

An excellent story.

Very nice to read.

#19 gudasrinivas

gudasrinivas

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:23

L

I visited Mr. Rao yesterday, along with my son and brother-in-law. We drove down a distance of about 200KM to Rajahmundhri from Vishakapatnam, which is where my in-laws stay. I had contacted him earlier and asked him for a suitable time to visit. The shop itself is located in a crowded part of the town, very close to the Godavari.

We received a warm welcome and Mr. Rao told us that we could look around at the back where one of his workshops is located. We watched an employee making pens on a lathe. He let my son, who is 11 and very interested in fountain pens, look at the raw materials and half finished pen parts. He also showed how each of the parts were made. We saw several Onyxes in green rippled ebonite and acrylic being made.

Mr. Rao then meticulously showed us all the models he had in stock and also some of the antique pens he had from long back. One of the pens he showed was a silver plated pen with a gold conical nib which was dated 1948. He also showed the biggest (18in long) which is a two sided pen and looks more like a police baton, to the smallest, which is about an inch and a half in length. He also narrated the history of the business started by his father. His assistant brought out a couple of cardboard boxes the size of shoe boxes filled with pen parts, some of them really, really old. He also generously fixed a pen with a German nib unit, which I had presented to my father-in-law some months back, and which was was suffering from flow problems.

I made a selection of several pens for myself, son and friends and was about to leave when Mr. Rao stopped us asked where we thought we were going! It was lunchtime and he demanded we have lunch with him. He took my son along with him and went shopping for things to take back home to Vizag, and to give my son a tour of the famous Godavari river and the one-time longest bridge in Asia. He then proceeded to take us upstairs to his home where his wife, while taking care of their 2 year old grandson, served us a lavish and hearty lunch. Only then were we allowed to depart! I have never met such a generous person like Mr. Rao, who would open up so wonderfully to strangers. I shall remember this visit for a long time.

Lovely Post. Mr Rao is always a pleasure to deal with. 

Regards

Srinivas

#20 sniyogy

sniyogy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 16:09

L

Lovely Post. Mr Rao is always a pleasure to deal with. 

Thanks. It is indeed a pleasure!

An excellent story.

Very nice to read.

Thank you.

Lovely post, sniyogy! Glad to know you have already got your youngster interested in fountain pens, too.

Is your in-laws' town the Vizagapatam where all those little inlaid boxes and pieces of furniture used to be made (for all I know, still are)? I have a couple of such boxes holding some of my pens.

Thank you! In fact, both my sons, even the toddler shows an interest. Hopefully the interest will continue. Trying to teach my older one basic cursive and letter forms. 

I have heard it used to be where intricate inlaid boxes were made, thanks to the Dutch influence in the area. I have not seen many around though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebonite, indian, fountain pens, handmade

Sponsored Content

|