The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mont Blanc 22 From Ebay- Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sierrabravo

sierrabravo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 00:14

Hello everyone,
First off I'd like to say that I am new to the forum and very glad to be part of such an active community.

As my first real foray into the world of fountain pens, I found a used MB 22 which was described as "Near-flawless", although the box is not included, on eBay. I am, though, unable to confirm this using the photos as they are, to say the least, not the best. My biggest concern is the asking price of $80usd. Being so new to the field of fountain pens, especially antiques such as the 22, I can't decide whether that is a fair asking price for this model Montblanc(assuming that the condition is in reality below flawless but above heavily used) or if I would be better off waiting for a similarly priced pen of a different model. Which is why I came here to ask the opinions of those with more experience than myself on this matter.

Also, if this post is in the incorrect section please let me know so I can promptly solve the issue.
Thanks in advance

P.S. the photos below were provided by the seller. I'm including them as reference the exact pen being discussed. 

Attached Images

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
  • s-l1600.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:43

If these are the sellers photos they are ver poorly presented for starters. Just viewing them the pen looks well used. For one in really good condition your probably looking at around $120-150. I found one for sale on Peyton street pens website for $140 and the photos show it is excellent condition. If I was looking to buy that  particular model I would seriously consider that one.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#3 sierrabravo

sierrabravo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 14:58

That is the most troubling thing about this pen, and oddly enough the sellers others items have great photos. I looked at a closer photo of the nib and I can clearly see some build up of, Im guessing, dust and general grime in the area between the nib and barrel. But at the same time Ive noticed that the base of the cap has a soild trim ring instead of the two rings on a actual 22 cap, and also in a different photo which shows the ink window the plastic appears to be of a amber color instead of the vivid blue.

Ill be looking at Peyton Street pens now that youve mentioned them.

#4 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 15:50

To me, only the nib and section looks like a 22.

#5 Cordovian

Cordovian

Oh, shiny.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 16:05

Overall it looks in "okay" shape. I think "near flawless" is a bit of a stretch.

I'd be concerned about the barrel connector in that pen. With discoloration on the outer ring, which should be blue, the connector may be split/cracked (as they are prone to do) allowing ink to get on the outer ring (see breakout below).

Also, something looks odd with the nib placement. It looks inset too far which I think would be impossible if it is the correct nib (I may be wrong about that). It could just be the angle of the pic.

post-112709-0-82870000-1398147676.jpg

#6 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 16:20

The 22s i have seen have a slip-on cap, where the pen on the picture looks as if it has a screw on cap.

I thought maybe a 32 with a 22 section and nib.

The ink window on my 22 also looks different compared to the pen on the photo.

fpn_1512749930__dpp_114252.jpg

Edited by farmdogfan, 08 December 2017 - 16:21.

#7 sierrabravo

sierrabravo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 16:25

Would like to say thank first off for the help.

Im also noticing some more differences when compared to photos of a 22. Could it be possible that the pen was refurbished/repaired by someone who didnt use the correct parts? At any rate I asked if the seller would be able to provide me with a photo of the pen(specifically the connector) and hopefully that would shed some light and what exactly It is.

At the very least this has definitely been a learning experience.

Edited by sierrabravo, 08 December 2017 - 16:41.

#8 Michael R.

Michael R.

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 21:17

It is not a 22 but an 032. Same as the 32 but with a wing nib made for export.

So it‘s from a less expensive series compared to the 22.

Those can be great pens nevertheless.

Cheers

Michael

my new blog:

visit pensninks on blogspot

I'm looking for some vintage Montblanc parts to complete a few project pens. You'll find the details here:

missing Montblanc parts

#9 sierrabravo

sierrabravo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 23:06

After I received the new photo from the seller I did some additional research and also came to believe that it is some variation of the 32. So sad to say the deal did seem a bit too good to be true. But at least I was able to help the seller figure out what they really had. 

On a side note, besides Peyton Street pens, what other online retailers that deal with these model pens would be recommended.

Thanks again everyone for the help with this issue.

Sponsored Content

|