The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vintage Pen Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 surprise123

surprise123

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 21:55

So my dad is going to China for a business trip, in what happens to be his hometown where my grandparents live. He's bringing back some Hero Pens my grandfather has been using for the past 30 years. That's right, 30 years of faithful use without a single. Leak. Wow. So I was wondering, did Hero use to make decent pens? Would a vintage pen like that be usable AT HOME? Would it contend with my Lamy 2K in terms of writability?

I will include some pictures later, when he gets back with them.  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 22:26

Semi-vintage...'90's-80's.

I tend to put vintage as '70 and before.

I had pre&after war Wearevers and Esterbrooks, so see no reason why an inexpensive  pen should not last 30 years if not put in pants pockets.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#3 georgeb

georgeb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:13

I have read that there are fake Hero pens being sold as well as genuine Hero pens.  The fake ones have probably influenced opinions negatively.  It will be nice to find out how good the pens are that you get.

#4 surprise123

surprise123

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:48

Do you think they would hold their own against Parker 51's? They contain gold nibs w/ a plating of some kind, because my grandfather literally wore down one pen for 30 years and gold started to show thru...

#5 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 21:11

Well, I think you will find out shortly and then you can tell us.;) I use pens from the 1930s through 1960s on a daily basis and I see no reason why I should prefer a new Lamy 2k over any of my vintage pens. Most of my vintage pens write better than a good number of expensive modern ones. But that is also a matter of taste and writing practice.

#6 surprise123

surprise123

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 00:44

I feel like if I prefer the vintage pens over the Lamy 2K, then I would prefer the P51 Special I auctioned for (fingers crossed) because for some reason, many 1940's pens are just so... vintagey and quality that is unique to that era...

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:55

A Lamy 2000 is a vintage pen still being made, in it falls into my 'definition' of vintage, pre '70.

Lamy 2000 came out in 1966. I remember seeing it in Germany in an old corner....(actually in the middle of the block), pen shop window that year. I didn't care for the rough look.

The few times I went looking for one on German Ebay....for an old used cheap one....I didn't find any. :unsure:

It could well be that the P-51 was still being made in '66.

I'm not sure which was first the MB 220 or the Lamy 2000, both are very similar, except as I found out last month, the MB had a semi-flex nib.

I've never tested a Lamy 2000 vs my thumbnail........even though I had the chances, it was not a pen that held much interest to me....having heard it's a typical Lamy nail on one hand....and then being told by others....there is give to the nib.

Next time I go to town, I'll have to go to the 'new' Lamy only pen shop and try it.

I do like the nib on the new Lamy Imporium, it is the best 'Springy' nib...good tine bend, but only 2 X tine spread, like the Falcon or MB pens.

It is 'semi-vintage' actually, being the second version of the 1990 Lamy Persona that they didn't use then.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 09 December 2017 - 11:01.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

Sponsored Content

|