The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Custom Pen By Tintenschnecke

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fpwriter

fpwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 20:57

Hi Guys,This is my second pen review after the earlier one here: http://www.fountainp...s/#entry3922378.
I was impressed enough with Stefan's work to go ahead and get another pen, custom made by him. I wanted something unique, different and one of a kind. So I dropped an email sharing what I had in mind and we took it forward from there. Getting this pen made involved many intricate steps and processes. While I understood and appreciated all of them I think it would be best if the process of creating the pen is described by the maker himself. So I will share texts from email updates I received from him in the various stages of the production of the pen. First off, after I shared an image with Stefan to give him an idea of the basic concept I had in mind, He reverted back with an excellent hand drawn sketch of the design.
image002.jpg

After I approved the design, the pen was taken up. Following are excerpts from the emails I received explaining the various stages.
Description E-mail 1:
"your pen has been formed and sanded, titan nib is here and the pen has received the first base layers.I'm now into the stage of creating the raden pattern. This involves a careful apllication of masking tapes (they make sure the geometry is right), I will send you some photos of that next week (I'm currently away from home, will return next wednesday, so will capture some pictures on the following weekend). The masking tape and raden apllication will need some weeks I guess, after that the most Important urushi layers follow."Images after sanding and application of the base layers:
IMG_20170809_223125.jpg IMG_20170809_223122.jpg

Application of the masking tapes:
image5.JPG image6.JPG image7.JPG

Description via Email 2:
"your pen is underway in the curing chamber. Its in the raden processing.Here are some pictures:(Please keep in mind that these phone pictures don't do justice, the final product will look much better.)Final steps sanding the section-Sanding the bore hole so that there is just the right ammount of friction so that the Nib housing can be screwed into the threads nicely but tight:With some black basic urushi layers and sanding- a pattern of Tamiya masking stripes applied- in order to get the hexagonal pattern marked:Each stripe is cut to fit inside the taped pattern. Now the pen is still in the raden process, next step is further urushi layers and gilding, then many more layers. But when the raden processing is done, the most time consuming step will be done."
image9.JPG image8.JPG image8-1.jpg image6-1.jpg image4-1.jpg 20170725_014308.jpg

Description Email 3:
"The first pictures show the pen without the masking tapes and a red (still wet at the time of the picture) base coat on the areas that will feature the gold. That red layer was painted by me with a very very fine brush, as to cover the areas where the masking tape has been before, but just those. Very difficult step. I allways lacquer guilded areas in red first, because that that is the best base for gold.
image3.jpg image1.jpg

The next pictures show the areas covered in pure 23,5 karat powder gold, that I dusted on the half cured sticky bonding urushi. The raden hexagons look very dark, because they are already covered by a couple of layers of clear honey brown urushi. (clear natural urushi cures dark brown). The gold specks on the raden will not be seen, they will get sanded away later.There will be 3 layers of clear urushi and powder gold on the guilded parts. The whole pen will now be covered in several layers of clear brown urushi, each layer cured. Then the sanding part can begin."
image5-1 (1).jpg

Description Email 4:
"After lots of sanding and many hours of polishing your unique custom pen is finally done, and I have taken some pictures as promised."
20170830_012240.jpg
7cbLPU9c2wvhR34kK5f0B8nUOhwwq0eWnYZzMpedaNU.jpg Hex-Custom_12.JPG
IMG_1652 (2).JPG
oE6pOlyEXuxQPAt6xZSpT7utNgGlSDLhTKtBJq-zGUU.jpg
IMG_1655.JPG

So that's about how the pen was made. Now on to my impression about the pen. After waiting for the few months that it took for the pen to get made, began the wait for the pen to finally travel from Austria to India. Once it finally reached me, the first thing to hit me on unboxing it was how gorgeous it looked in person. The gilded areas are beautifully marbled and have a depth to them that can't really be made out in the images. The raden inlay strips are perfectly aligned with one and other and beautifully catch the light when the pen is rotated in hand. Over all, the attention to detail is impressive.
The nib I chose to go with this pen is the Bock #6 Ti broad nib. I have a couple of those and like their springy feel and the juicy wet lines they put down. This pen is just the right size to make it perfectly useable for long wirting and everyday carry, though it is very unlikely that I would be carrying this pen anywhere. Stefan sent an equally gorgeous pen pillow finished exactly like the pen with raden inlayed into it. Unfortunately I do not have any images of it right now, but will make a note to share pictures of that too. Finally to sum it up, I really liked the way the pen has turned out. Hat tip to Stefan for his awesome craftsmanship.
Cheers!

Edited by fpwriter, 08 December 2017 - 17:55.

Sponsored Content

#2 fpwriter

fpwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 21:22

Finally managed to upload and edit everything :D

Edited by fpwriter, 08 December 2017 - 14:44.

#3 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 21:51

I'm speechless at the craftsmanship that went into that functional piece of art.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#4 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 13:48

Wow :)

#5 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 14:59

Very, very nice.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#6 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 17:47

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wow. Whatever you paid for that work of art, it's worth every penny.

I knew the raden process was complex but this is the first time I've actually seen the process. Phenomenal.

And the pen is gorgeous!

#7 fpwriter

fpwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 17:58

Glad you guys liked the pen. Undoubtedly it is one of the more unique pens in my humble collection :)

#8 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 23:37

Glad you guys liked the pen. Undoubtedly it is one of the more unique pens in my humble collection :)

No collection with this amazing piece can be referred to as humble.... Even if this was the only pen in the collection.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#9 inkeverywhere

inkeverywhere

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:38

"ONE" of the more unique pens in your humble collection, you must have some crackers as this one would take some beating!

Greg

Edited by inkeverywhere, 09 December 2017 - 02:39.

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

#10 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:13

Really cool looking pen.

#11 fpwriter

fpwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:23

"ONE" of the more unique pens in your humble collection, you must have some crackers as this one would take some beating!

Greg

Hahahaha.. That's a brilliant way of interpretating it, but sadly that's not the way it is in reality :P

Sponsored Content

|