The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Eberhard Faber Tried To Make Steel Pens?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 19:23

As I'm sure you're all sick of hearing, I'm researching early steel pen makers. I've run across a reference that seems to indicate that around 1864 (about three years after opening his pencil factory), Eberhard Faber attempted to make steel pens. Unfortunately he seems to have tried to make someone else's steel pens, and got sued, and that's how I know about it. 

He was sued along with James Hodgskin, who I believe was his partner for a while? There's more info on Hodgskin once he leaves the stationery business and enters first Wall Street, then the Railroads, but almost nothing about what he did with Faber. 

So, does anyone have any information on Eberhard Faber's pen making? Does anyone have more information on James Hodgskin than just his name and that later he went on to become quite wealthy before dying at an unseemly young age? I've seen the obit in The American Stationer, but that's the only mention of his time with Faber that I can find. 

Thanks

Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

|