The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vacumatic - Does This One Need A Service?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Threeracers

Threeracers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:29

Hi, beautiful pearl green eBay Vacumatic just arrived, which was sold as untested.  This is my first vacumatic so not handled one before.  

If the nib is under water when the plunger is depressed and no bubbles come up can I assume that its not functioning and needs a service?  

When I lift it out of the water and slowly depress the plunger a droplet forms under the nib so something is happening!

TIA

Mark

Sponsored Content

#2 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:35

Needs a new diaphragm at least Mark.

Do you know where to have this done?

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed.
Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly.

Finally, one to close down the thread because it has lost its way.

#3 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:37

Eric Wilson is my suggestion at eckiefump@googlemail.com

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed.
Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:39

It sounds to me like it needs a service. If you can't do this yourself, then I assume you know of either Peter Twydle, Battersea Pen Home or someone else?

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:59

Your pen is certainly in need of new diaphragm, as others have said above. A vacumatic found in the wild or bought on 'as is' basis has to be serviced even if it works. You don't know how rotten the sac is and you don't want it fail while you are writing with it or while it is clipped to your shirt pocket.
Khan

#6 Threeracers

Threeracers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 13:01

I though that might be the case and did budget for that.  The pen was £30 so I am happy paying out for a service.  

I have sent a 61 with a wobbly nib at Battersea Pen Home following recent forum recommendations so will drop him an email.

Googling the flushing process I think this one wants a very friendly ink and staying with the same colour, best put the shimmering inks in something easier to flush!

Many thanks all 

regards

Mark

#7 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 13:31

best put the shimmering inks in something easier to flush!

Like a toilet.

Best of luck with the vacumatic, great pen

#8 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 13:39

Like a toilet.

:)
Khan

#9 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 13:48

Sheaffer made No-Nonsense pens with "calligraphy" nibs specifically for shimmer inks and Christmas cards.  And then the toilets.  :lol:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

SNAIL MAIL EXCHANGE or a postcard perhaps?

#10 Threeracers

Threeracers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 15:06

Like a toilet.

Very good!  Not a fan?  I bought the Amethyste de I'Oural and liked that.  

Ok, I will get my coat......... 

M

#11 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 15:52

Very good!  Not a fan?  I bought the Amethyste de I'Oural and liked that.  

Ok, I will get my coat......... 

M

Shimmer inks will never leave this pen. It's too damn hard to flush. Don't put glitter in this pen, or staining inks like Noodler's Bulletproof or De Atrementis Document inks.

Btw - I can do diaphragm replacements if you want! PM me :)

#12 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 8,862 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:03

Like a toilet.

Best to just leave them in the store..unless you hate plumbers.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sponsored Content

|