English Version Of Japanese Stationary Magazine?

Maurizio

I know this has very likely been discussed here before. There are several nice Japanese stationary magazines available for Japanese aficionados and readers. Does anyone know if any of these magazines are available in English translation? And if not, what about the possibility of a Japanese-fluent FPN member helping us contact one of the publishers to explore the possibility of creating an English language version of such a magazine? I know I would subscribe. Ive looked at the magazines available in English - Pen World comes immediately to mind - but have found them wanting and quite thin on content besides glossy photos.

Just throwing it out as an idea. Maybe an entrepreneurial person can figure out a way to license the Japanese content and get it translated into English?

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• Algester

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but this doesn't work like that. You forgot so many important steps.

1) You need to do a market review. How many people would buy such a magazine - for how much? That would tell me as a publisher how much I could earn.

2) Who will print the magazine?

3) Who will distribute the magazine worldwide?

4) Who is translating it? Do you have a track record in translating? Can you do this timely every time a new issue comes out?

And now, discuss this with a Japanese company where most probably most people are not able to even communicate in English. I guess they wouldn't even answer your request. If they would do, they are already special.

How could your idea work?

Find a well-known publisher with international magazines. Discuss this idea with them. If they contact the Japanese company with a business plan, that could be the beginning of a real business.

As usual: "the devil is in the details".

while Book Walker is now openly translating manga I'm not sure if it will apply to other books they are selling on the JP version of their webstore but Kadokawa has the money and man power... and they own Book Walker :X

but it will still up to the publisher I guess to call the shot on how they will collaborate the effort as the Bungu no Shuumi no Hako magazines that I buy isnt published by Kadokawa but published by ei-publishing but also sold digitally over at book walker but they also have an Amazon version

Edited by Algester

Sorry, but this doesn't work like that. You forgot so many important steps.

1) You need to do a market review. How many people would buy such a magazine - for how much? That would tell me as a publisher how much I could earn.

2) Who will print the magazine?

3) Who will distribute the magazine worldwide?

4) Who is translating it? Do you have a track record in translating? Can you do this timely every time a new issue comes out?

And now, discuss this with a Japanese company where most probably most people are not able to even communicate in English. I guess they wouldn't even answer your request. If they would do, they are already special.

How could your idea work?

Find a well-known publisher with international magazines. Discuss this idea with them. If they contact the Japanese company with a business plan, that could be the beginning of a real business.

As usual: "the devil is in the details".

I don't disagree with anything you note MKE, but I was hoping that perhaps some enterprising person may pick up on this. All I want to do is pay for a subscription.

Thanks for your comments Algester - I'll look into this but it doesn't seem that the magazine or magazines I'd be interested are even available for an English translation - right?

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com